Easy but awesome guitar learning songs

lonelyday

Heya!

I'm planning on teaching myself to play guitar over the summer, and apart from being taught in primary school a song called Ten Guitars, a lame kiwi anthem which none of you will know and I have long forgot, I have no experience with guitars and know nothing.

So I'm looking for advice on songs which are good for beginners and anything else you feel like telling me, coz as I said I know nothing. Haven't even bought a guitar yet.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!!

Ash

(shamelessly copied from an article)

Easy Guitar Song 1: House of The Rising Sun, as made famous by The Animals. This is a great song, very simple, and a great way to get people singing along. It's in the simple key of A minor too, so if you feel like it you can throw in some simple Am pentatonic licks and sound really cool! The chords are: Am, C, D, F, Am, E, Am. It's literally that simple, and to make it really cool you can throw in some easy flamenco style fast strumming!

Easy Guitar Song 2: Sympathy For The Devil, as made famous by The Rolling Stones. This is another great song-all the more cool if you can get someone to do the "oo-oo!" part in the background. Really simple chords, and it sounds great acoustic or electric if you feel like some high gain! The chords are: E, D, A, E all the way through except the chorus which just goes B to E again and again. If you listen to the original you'll see what I mean.

Easy Guitar Song 3: Freebird, as made famous by Lynyrd Skynrd. An all time great song, and it's pretty easy to play if you miss out the solo at the end-don't worry no one will expect you to play it anyway! The song's in the key of G major, but in true southern rock style if you want to play a solo you can switch between G major and G minor pentatonics you can sound truly cool! The chords for this easy guitar song are as follows: Note-These are the chords for the main verses G, D/F#, Em, F, C, D The chorus just cycles through F, C, and D over and over, and at the end before the solo when it gets fast it's just G5, A#5, and C5 over and over.

Easy Guitar Song 4: Knockin On Heaven's Door, as made famous by Bob Dylan, and then Guns N Roses. This is another all time classic song. Great fun to play, and yet really simple. This is another one in G major, although Guns N Roses tune down half a step so their version is in F#. The chords are: G, D, Am7, just cycled over and over again. Easy huh?

Easy Guitar Song 5: For What It's Worth, as made famous by Buffalo Springfield. This is by far the easiest of the bunch, and a truly great song. It proves you don't need monster technique or difficult chords to make great music. Excellent lyrics too. In the key of E major. The chords are: E, A, E, A...... and that's it-simple but brilliant, as all the best ones are!

maybe a bit America-centric, but at least they're well known :)

Wow, thanks for the suggestions!! There's quite a few awesome songs in there which will be very useful- especially the ones that I know well so I will actually be able to tell if I'm playing it wrong. I'd always wondered why it was that everyone who picks up a guitar seems to be able to play wonderwall.

Anyways thanks a bunch, now all I have to do is actually buy a guitar!