Can I change my email login without affecting my account?

MindCrime

I changed that address, because the one I registered with doesn't exist anymore (it's now .com instead of .co.uk), but strangely enough, it didn't apply to my log-in somehow. If I log on to the forums, I still have to use the .co.uk one. If I log on to the main site, I have to use the new .com one :P

that's because you log in with the "login name", not the email address... you probably only put both on the same name when you registered :)

eg, for me it's my mail address without the @xyz.com :)

Login name? :confused: I have to use my old email address, nothing else works. How DO I change my login name then, if not by changing the email?

If you were here on the old, old, old server (like ancient ol' me) your login name is your email address and I wouldn't expect you to be able to change that. Once you register an email address with a site and attach a username to it, I think you're stuck with it.

I've wondered that as well. If you change your user name does your log in name change too?

what do you mean with "user name"?

the display name you can see next to your post ("ryansgirl")?

this one doesn't have anything to do with your login name or email address, it's completely independent, and thus can be changed without any problems :)

Ok, I think I get it... so if you registered on the old server, your login name just happens to be an email-address, even if that address is not necessarily associated with your account anymore. All correspondence however will be sent to the email address in your control panel. Right? :P

edit in reply to MC: yeah, exactly, that's what I've been talking about. But now everything should be sent to the address in your control panel and I think the old email address you still use to log in with is treated in the same way as any other login name, since sending an email to just 'Farin' is impossible.

Edited by Guest

Ok, I think I get it... so if you registered on the old server, your login name just happens to be an email-address, even if that address is not necessarily associated with your account anymore. All correspondence however will be sent to the email address in your control panel. Right? :P

edit in reply to MC: yeah, exactly, that's what I've been talking about. But now everything should be sent to the address in your control panel and I think the old email address you still use to log in with is treated in the same way as any other login name, since sending an email to just 'Farin' is impossible.

yes, exactly

the name you login with (probably your old email address) doesn't change,

but everything where you would need your mail to (resetting of the PW, new PT notifications) should go to the new mail address

• 3 months later...

you can change your email account (the one used where you subscribe to topics or if you forgot your password) in your Control Panel.

the login name is just a name used to log in... when you register it's only the standard to use the name of the email account you sign up with, but it's not necessary to continue to use that email account.