House passes health care bil

Levis

This sounds like a good thing:

House passes health care bill

(AP) – 27 minutes ago

WASHINGTON — The Democratic-controlled House has passed historic health care legislation to provide medical coverage to millions more Americans.

Most Americans would be required to carry insurance and large employers would be obliged to cover their employees.

Associated Press/Google

The cost of it considering not much has been cut from the federal and state budgets, nor has there been any actual reform to cut the cost of health care itself. On the one hand, you can still sue doctors and hospitals for exorbitant amounts, and, on the other, a doctor can still treat patients as their personal ATM if they see the reimbursement is good and fast :beatnik:

Hang on - doesn't universal healthcare mean doctors can't treat patients as ATMs? And where does the money needed to implement it go?

These might sound like silly questions, but I genuinely cannot understand this debate at all. From my corner it looks a bit like an argument between 'only people who can afford to pay should be a allowed treatment' and 'everyone should be able to access medical facilities irrespective of $$$'. The first option seems a bit like Darwin gone too far, and I hate humans as much as the next person but this is a bit too cruel and clinical even by my standards. The second option seems all noble and obviously the right choice etc. I guess what would make it clearer is a then-and-now break down of the medical system's financial model.

Hang on - doesn't universal healthcare mean doctors can't treat patients as ATMs? And where does the money needed to implement it go?

These might sound like silly questions, but I genuinely cannot understand this debate at all. From my corner it looks a bit like an argument between 'only people who can afford to pay should be a allowed treatment' and 'everyone should be able to access medical facilities irrespective of $$$'. The first option seems a bit like Darwin gone too far, and I hate humans as much as the next person but this is a bit too cruel and clinical even by my standards. The second option seems all noble and obviously the right choice etc. I guess what would make it clearer is a then-and-now break down of the medical system's financial model.

What happens is that without any real reform on health care cost, even those who can pay for health care will be jacked by the high costs of maintaining the universal system. I'd love to have universal health care... IF the cost wasn't so sky-high crazy. Doctors already treat patients on our state's medi-Cal system as if they were ATMs - they'll overcharge, they'll charge twice, they'll deny treatment to whatever the state won't reimburse, etc. Now imagine that with even more customers thrown into the mix and an infamous litigious system, and it'll help drive down the economy deeper into bankruptcy :beatnik: