Sign in to follow this  
Mike

45 RPM RECORDS

I didn't have too many growing up. A few hand-me-downs my older brothers gave me, they were into them "big-time".

Let's see, I had a few Beatles, Badfinger and few I can't even remember. Albums were my thing.

Of course; the era of 1955-1962 saw a huge surge in 45's. singles were the "thing" in music back then, much like was re-issued with the advent of mp3 file in the early part of the 21st. century.

So tell us what 45's you had/have.

My sister is 8 years older than I am and I inherited a lot of her 45's. I remember some like Shelley Fabares' "Johnny Angel" and Paul Peterson's "She Can't Find Her Keys". She also had quite a few Beatles 45's like "I Want To Hold Your Hand". By the time I started collecting records, the popularity of 45's had waned considerably.

I can't remember, I had plenty but I loved the LPs. More music. Youdidn't have to get up and put another record 3 minutes later..

My first Beatles record in fact was a 45 RPM with "Love Me Do" and I don't remember the B-side, I gave it when I got the LP... :P anyways, it was in 1962. Then an EP with four songs ("Twist and Shout", etc...)

I had a lot of 45's handed down from my mom & older cousins. Lots of great early rock 'n' roll from the 50's & 60's.

Most memorable to me though are the one's that I bought myself. Specifically The Stones (Honky Tonk Women), Who (Pinball Wizard), and Jackson 5 (I Want You Back) are the ones I most remember. I was into albums by 68 or so as well, but I bought 45's if I didn't have money for an LP. At 12 it was much easier to buy 45's. ;)

Edited by Guest

ok folks, I'm old...I too had lots of 45's from my sister..."Maybe" I don't remember who did it... still love the song...The first 45 I ever bought was "Dave Clark Five" ... I think it was "Bits and Pieces"

The last 45 I got? :confused: something from "Pearl Jam" when they were going to tour with "Neil Young" and they were asking for a tour name and I suggested "Toe Jam"...needless to say I guess they felt sorry for me...and sent me a 45...they also sent me an email and told me to take my meds more often... :couch: unfortunately folks..."I'm honest"

I still have a box of 45s. And if I had a turntable, I would play them! My most cherished is the original version of "Silver Springs" by Fleetwood Mac. The B side to "Go Your Own Way," a friend of mine who worked in a record store got it for me - the writing on the sleeve is in Japanese. :crazy:

But I've had 45s since I was born. My mom and dad had a collection of them. I have everything from Elvis to well... Fleetwood Mac! I refuse to give them up, even if I can't listen to them anymore.