From pop/rock to standards

Steel2Velvet

Can you think of any singers who you first identified as a pop or rock act that later produced an album (or had a hit single) of Standard cover(s?)

A "Standard" being a popular, swing, big band or broadway show tune written in the first half of the twentieth century which achieved wide acceptance through much radio airplay.

Just offhand, I can think of two: Rod Stewart and Linda Ronstadt. There must be more.

Rod was the first name in my mind.

Carly Simon made an album of standards called My Romance.

Bette Midler recorded the Rosemary Clooney song book.

Barry Manilow has a new Swing style Christmas album and he recorded an album of songs from the '50s that are more in the pop/standards vein than that of early rock and roll.

Robbie Williams released 'Swing When You're Winning' in 2001... that album went to the top of the charts in a lot of European countries, #3 in Australia, etc.

He recored the song It's De-Lovely for the De-Lovely sound track and appeared in the film as well. The De-Lovley sound track and the sound track for The Aviator both feature modern artists updating classic songs.

I don't know if I understood the question :P but maybe you mean, for instance, Bryan Ferry and his albums where he sings oldies (These Foolish Things)?

Yeah, Edna, that's the idea. Good one. I just remembered Cass Elliot (Mamas and Papas) had a hit with "Dream A Little Dream Of Me," written in 1931.

Willie Nelson had an album called "Stardust" made up of old standards.

Ringo Starr had "Sentimental Journey"; Bryan Ferry "As Time Goes By".

Carly Simon and Linda Rondtstatd have done some oldies... Robert Palmer as well but I can't remember the name of the album. Joni Mitchell, "Both Sides Now".

Noel Gallagher has a perfect version of "This Guy's In Love With You", though it's a sixties song...

Struggling to think of whole albums of the type you describe - perhaps not the sort of thing the artists in my favoured genres would do. But,unless my memory is playing demonic tricks with me again, didn't Sting have a chart hit in the late 80s with a cover of "Spread A Little Happiness"? If that's any help.

I can think of one way Sting might "spread a little happiness", but it sure doesn't involve him putting out novelty records...or any records at all for that matter.

On a cheerier note; Captain Sensible (of UK punk rock band The Damned) had a surprise chart-topping hit (in 1981, or was it '82?) with his rendition of "Happy Talk", from the musical "South Pacific". If you haven't heard it, you really should. Enough to brighten anyone's day. :cool: