Phil Collins Gives Up Drumsticks

Brad_M

This is actually old news that was announced a month ago but I just heard about it today.

I thought I should report it because I knew MiamiSammy would want to be immediately notified of this news.

I don't know if he'll be heart-broken or ecstatic about the news but I'm putting my money on the latter. :D

This means no more Phil Collins' drumming.

No more Phil Collins' piano playing.

No more Sussudio. :o

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Phil Collins Gives Up Drumsticks

This week, Phil Collins, legendary drummer from both Genesis and his own solo career, announced that, as a consequence of surgery to fix damaged vertebrae that became dislocated during his tenure as a musician, he will never play the drums or piano again. Collins is incapable of holding drum sticks or curving his hands to play the piano, because the pain is too great.

The operation, although successful, limits Collins' use of his hands, a fact that, strangely, hasn't affected the musician. Despite fifty years of playing the drums, Collins has taken the news in stride, saying to the Daily Mirror, "I am not in any 'distressed' state -- stuff happens in life." Although the damage may not be permanent, Collins isn't particularly worried, as he is still able to write music and sing. The damage to his hands may be repaired in a few years.

Collins initially fought the pain, going as far as to tape his drum sticks to his hands in order to be able to hold them. However, after accepting his condition, Collins has stated that he considers his health to be more important than playing the drums.

This information comes after Collins' 2008 declaration that he would no longer be making music, as he reported to the London Times. Though he may not be planning any more tours or studio albums, he does plan to continue writing music, if only for himself. Instead of music, he plans to devote himself to his Alamo memorabilia collection.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man. Really ragging on Phil Collins aren't we?

I mean, I personally like Collins. I liked him as drummer for early Genesis (the better Genesis in my opinion) and as lead singer for later Genesis. I mean, some of his solo stuff was hit or miss and I'm not a huge fan of it, but I definitely like him as a musician.

I once read an article in Rolling Stone a while back where some guy was trying to argue that Phil Collins was better than John Lennon. I wouldn't agree with that, but I still think he's a good musician.

I thought he was referring to his recent wife that had the whole divorce thing going on.

I consider all of them Not-Linda's.

Paul and Linda were probably the best Beatles couple. At least, the one that had the least problems. Although I always have liked Cynthia, I've always felt bad for her. And I've always like Patti Boyd, but there was the whole Eric Clapton and Mick Jagger obsessing over her thing. At least good music came out of it.