Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

The Seeker

[bigger]Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize[/bigger]

[smaller]BBC News, Friday, 9 October 2009

Link[/smaller]

US President Barack Obama has won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize.

The Nobel Committee said he was awarded it for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".

The committee highlighted Mr Obama's efforts to strengthen international bodies and promote nuclear disarmament.

There were a record 205 nominations for this year's prize. Zimbabwe's prime minister and a Chinese dissident had been among the favourites.

The laureate - chosen by a five-member committee - wins a gold medal, a diploma and 10m Swedish kronor ($1.4m).

KEY RECENT WINNERS

2008: Martti Ahtisaari

2007: Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Al Gore

2002: Jimmy Carter

2001: UN, Kofi Annan

1994: Yasser Arafat, Shimon Peres, Yitzhak Rabin

1993: Nelson Mandela, FW de Klerk

1991: Aung San Suu Kyi

1990: Mikhail Gorbachev

1989: Dalai Lama

Should Obama have won?

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the Norwegian committee said as the prize was announced.

"His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."

Asked why the prize had been awarded to Mr Obama less than a year after he took office, Nobel committee head Thorbjoern Jagland said: "It was because we would like to support what he is trying to achieve".

"It is a clear signal that we want to advocate the same as he has done," he said.

He specifically mentioned Mr Obama's work to strengthen international institutions and work towards a world free of nuclear arms.

Edited by Guest

just heard that... I have to say I've been quite surprised

he hasn't been a 'world politician' for long yet...

EDIT:

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the Norwegian committee said as the prize was announced.

"His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."

Asked why the prize had been awarded to Mr Obama less than a year after he took office, Nobel committee head Thorbjoern Jagland said: "It was because we would like to support what he is trying to achieve".

"It is a clear signal that we want to advocate the same as he has done," he said.

He specifically mentioned Mr Obama's work to strengthen international institutions and work towards a world free of nuclear arms.

okay, I can see their reasoning :)

Edited by Guest

Seems like the rest of the world like our President more than a good deal of our own ignorant country. Fox News is going to flip a s**t. I can't think of anyone who should have it more, though, especially if it really does help push his agenda.

Also, Thorbjoern Jagland might be the most badass name I've ever heard.

He was only in office a few weeks before the February deadline so giving it to him this early is ridiculous. It seems that they gave him the award based on what he has said, not done. I think the committee was excited over the fact that Bush is no longer in office and that is part of the reason why he was selected.

I am an ardent Obama supporter; I did volunteer work for his campaign here in North Carolina, worked phone banks, voted for him....the whole gamillah. That being said, he absolutely does not deserve this. He'd been President for what, 2 weeks? He should say it was an honor to be nominated but decline to accept it.

That being said, nothing will fill me with more glee than watching all the neocons get their panties twisted over this. :) Why, I can almost hear Glenn Beck's frothing-at-the-mouth reply right now.........

It is very early to be giving him any accolades. He hasn't even been president for a year. The best he can do now is try to live up to this honor for the rest of his term.

I feel for him, though. Whatever he accomplishes, it's not going to be enough, because the expectations are so high.

Just seems to me there has been little concrete poured and hardened on which to firmly mount a trophy case for the medal and vault which will contain Mr. Obama's $1.4 million award.

I don't begrudge his winning; he and his family must be thrilled! However, I find the committee's reasoning of ".. extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples" might also apply to any of three dozen pre-winners' statements as to why they would like to be crowned Miss Universe.

Seems that the soldiers' and even some politicians' sacrifices and efforts to win a longterm peace for a democratic Iraq could be considered as more pronounced, on a tangible level; considering how the violence has subsided so dramatically and the nation building there has begun in earnest.

It would be interesting to see the names and the list of accomplishments of those who were runners-up to the POTUS.

It would be interesting to see the names and the list of accomplishments of those who were runners-up to the POTUS.

If I remember correctly there were some 200+ nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize, including Silvio Berlusconi and Bono :P

the whole list is kept secret though

I am an ardent Obama supporter; I did volunteer work for his campaign here in North Carolina, worked phone banks, voted for him....the whole gamillah. That being said, he absolutely does not deserve this. He'd been President for what, 2 weeks? He should say it was an honor to be nominated but decline to accept it.

That being said, nothing will fill me with more glee than watching all the neocons get their panties twisted over this. :) Why, I can almost hear Glenn Beck's frothing-at-the-mouth reply right now.........

:bow:

Totally agree. He should have "been honored by the nomination" but politely declined the prize. It would have gone a heck of a lot further in the grand scheme of things.

But, again as you said, Beck & O'Reilly are gonna have a field day with this, and it tickles me silly. :D

You are absolutely right , edna . In fact , this entire 'prize' is a joke and should be dropped from the Nobel selection process and stick to science - which no one knows anything about . Who is the Iranian chick ?!?!

A President leading ( or, granted , overseeing ) a country still fully involved in two wars ( that they initiated ) , as well as hostile relations/ rhetoric with a number of other countries deserves the 'Peace' prize as much as any of you . I 'd like to see the whole thing dropped as a bad joke on the state of world affairs .

Looking at the list , you can see how messed up it is - and nearly as good as an MTV award ; South Africa's government is a disaster and corrupt - to hell with Mandela ; The Palestinians and Jews still can't stand each other ; Al Gore is still dense, and what does he have to do with peace ? ; Aung Sun Soo Ki is a fart in the dark - sad , but hopeless , and that's just Burma ; and the Dali Lama is an ass, usually, and hasn't done a progressive thing in his life , except turn some of Hollywood away from Scientology . :D

Jimmy Carter and Gorby and Santa may be the only worthy and successful candidates on the recent list provided .

This is a huge , utopian and idealistic claim , and represents the West's hopes for the world rather than an objective view of it . Go shove those Norwegian bucks up your collective arses if you think this is proper . :D

More likely than not , the members would just like to hear an interesting and well -delivered speech rather than the droning of boring scientists and authors ; who I also don't think should be there .

New law: If you watch Fox News for more than 3 hours a week, you void your right to vote.

I could get behind that. See, it's not Republicans I have a problem with. I'm the only Democrat in my family, so trust me....I've gone 10 rounds or more with them about everything, but they're smart and they know their sh!t so I feel like something is gained from it.

Habitual Fox News watchers are the equivalent of people who fall for that "How To Keep An Idiot Entertained" keychain. I've stumbled upon some of the programming that network puts on and often times find myself wondering if we're all being Punk'd and Ashton Kutcher is really behind it all.

And for the record, I don't watch CNN or MSNBC for my news, as people seem to think all Democrats do.

Giving the award to Obama simply demeans the efforts of past DESERVING recipients. The man is long on rhetoric and short on action. Perhaps in time, he might actually do something that would merit the Peace Prize.

I agree that the idiots on Fox News are biased and annoying, but the same holds true for clowns like Keith Olbermann and his left skewed network, MSNBC.

• 2 months later...

Oh, and just WHAT did Obama do EXACTLY to merit the Peace Prize?

I never heard...... just cuz he wrote that book, or what???

I'm most confused by this, but many things about this man honestly confuse me..

He was raised in Hawaii, a pretty laid back place, but had a Kenyan Dad, another group of people who are polite, generally speaking and laid back, but yet, he projects this rather haughty, arrogant, know-it-all attitude...

Oops.. I spoke my mind, excuse me, but it is just how he comes across on TV.

Oh, geez, ABC news has to be the MOST biased piece of cow cakes to come down the Pike, when it comes to bias-ness (new word, woohoo, lol)

Ever since they turned TV digital it's ALL we can pick up on our set, though for some strange reason we get CBS news and tv just FINE without the digital box.

Excuse Mr. Obama but since your administration took office, we've not been able to afford a digital set, since we are STILL waiting for the Stimulus Package to take effect.....

Now.. if ONLY the Stim Pkg had GONE into effect by now.. many of us would not be worried if we'll be living in our vehicles soon or under some bridge.

I'm NOT being sarcastic here, the facts are things are HORRIBLE for many Americans now..especially with the winter setting in.

I think it's time a lot of us go OFF the grid, since we cannot seem to rely on the government anymore, since their coffers are so bone dry with all this spending.

To me it's nonsensical... I'm being political i suppose.. but who spends wrecklessly when you are hopeless in debt, (as the US is) and not sure you'll have good jobs to fall back on?

Where are ALL the jobs that Mr. Obama said he's going to create? That's what I want to know.. and as an american I do have the right to know that! We're the ones footing the bill for that thing.

Oh, and if you REALLY want to know stuff about BO (our president) try listening to Sean Hannity.... He'll tell you stuff you'll not hear anywhere else....

It's strange cuz so many of the young people now won't even pick up a paper, or listen to the radio, like talk radio, they don't want to.. they ONLY want to get their news off the internet or tv...or they are glued into their ipods, so they're so isolated they don't know what's happening in the world around them!!

That's where they miss the boat and many things we NEED to know are in print, or on the radio, not on the internet or tv nowadays.

let's hope to God, they do NOT do away with newspapers in this administration......

Just think if your power goes out, or you cannot turn on your TV set, how you going to get any news at all?

At least newspaper will still be delivered to your door.

I do hope Obama steps up his game and starts getting on the stick and CREATING jobs THIS year, not 3 years from now..

we cannot afford to wait any longer....

You DID say CHANGE, did you not Mr. President?

I sure hope you did not mean change for the worse. I'd be most disappointed if that were the case.

Please start creating jobs NOW from this Stimulus Package, Mr. Obama.

Well, I hope the Obama has a blessed New Year's and will create jobs for the Americans right now, not 3 years from now.

The Americans sure cannot afford to wait, and it's affecting so many other countries on our globe too.