Dandy Warhols

RyanTurtle

Let me start by saying that The Dandy Warhols are my favorite band...ever.I've loved them since I first heard Boys Better back in the 90s and I've had a little schoolboy crush on their keyboard player, Zia McCabe since I first saw them. I've seen them three times in concert, and this last one was the first time I saw them without being under the influence of anything other than the music. And it was incredible!

The night started out pretty crummy because my friend who was supposed to go with me bailed at the last second, and I was forced to go by myself. And as everyone knows, going to a concert by yourself is never as fun. Well, this concert broke that rule.

The opening band was a not-so-famous band by the name of Spindrift. Spindrift is lead by Frankie Teardrop, an ex-member of The Brian Jonestown Massacre, who happen to be the Dandys' biggest rival. Their music was heavily inspired by the film scores of Ennio Morricone. While they were playing, their music conjured up images in my head of Clint Eastwood riding through the desert. However, his horse had been replaced by a Harley chopper and his six gun was replaced by a plethora of assault rifles. The guitars were full of distortion and the vocals were beautifully incoherent. The most significant part of the opening act wasn't the act at all. It was a woman dancing off in the corner alone. Nobody noticed her, nobody paid any mind to the loner in the corner. Something about her caught my eye though. When she lifted her arms above her head; her sleeve came up to reveal a very distinctive tattoo. I recognized the “M†immediately. The loner in the corner was none other than Zia McCabe, the keyboardist for the Dandys. I saw this as a window of opportunity. I walked over, and asked her for a dance. And we danced through the whole set. What started out as the six inches of space between us (Like junior high dancing), became nothing. The more we got into the music, the more we danced. And when she left to get ready for The Dandy Warhols set, she invited me to the after-party!

So now it’s time for The Dandys to take the stage. The lights went dark, silhouetted figures moved across the stage. And with one power chord we got full lights and there they were, my rock ‘n’ roll heroes. Their set was full of life, I could feel the energy. It was so amazing. I was right against the stage too! Courtney Taylor-Taylor (lead singer) was extremely charismatic and funny. His voice was spot on, as was his guitar playing. When they played my favorite song of theirs The Legend of the Last Outlaw Trucker AKA The Ballad of Sheriff Shorty, he acted out the whole thing and breathed a new life and energy into the song that I had never imagined possible. Zia was beautiful and charming as always. Her keyboard playing has greatly improved since I saw them last, and she looks better than ever. Her hips are still in full swing for maximized sex appeal and tambourine playing. The band was tight, and amazing. There is no other experience like it. And after the final encore, Minnesoter (another one of my favorite tunes), it was time for the after-party.

Held in what looked like a garage, the after-party was amazing. Zia put on her persona, DJ Rescue, and spent the whole night spinning records and dancing behind her turntables. I spent my whole time on the couch hanging out with Courtney Taylor, talking about music and it’s philosophical value. I even shared one final dance with Zia before leaving.

That was by far the greatest concert of my life. And I have a feeling it wouldn’t have turned out near as well if my friend hadn’t bailed on me. I’ve met some of the most legendary musicians on the planet, but meeting these guys was the highlight of my musical life.

That sounds awesome! How odd that you should make a comeback (hi again) the week I nominate the Dandys and The BJM in the Songfactors' Choice Top Ten because it is also the week I watched DiG for the zillionth time because I have been obsessed with You Were The Last High.

They came to Oz last year but I missed them. And earlier that year, the BJM had played here as well. A friend of mine got to see them. There were no exciting fights or anything, I was told. Disappointing :(

I pick the Dandys over BJM, though I really like both. But I love the Dandys and just *like* BJM (a fair bit, tho). I've been on a bit of a DW kick these days playing my favourite songs by them in an infinite loop. Genius, You Were The Last High, Sleep, Godless, Nietzsche, Mohammed, Ride, TV Theme etc etc etc.

• 3 months later...