The Re-Mastered Beatles Music

Mike

At the request of someone here, I agreed to post a review of the re-mastered Beatles songs once I had received my copies.

First, let me begin with the fact that I first became a hardened Beatles fan about the year 1974, soon thereafter I obtained everything they had recorded, usually brand-new vinyl and a new stylus on my phonograph, accompanied with a set of high quality headphones.

I wore those albums out. Fortunately I recorded them to cassette tapes before they got too bad. I replaced the cassettes in the early 90’s. I acquired digital copies of the Beatles catalog between 1999 and 2002.

I have listened to the Beatles songs hundreds and hundreds of times in the last 35 years. I know every nuance within every song. Every instrument and every lyric I’ve memorized.

So with that all noted …

I opened the package I received the re-mastered CD’s in, the choice of which to examine first was difficult, I threw Help! into the home sound system and cranked it up through double crisscrossed stereo speakers, that was real treat!! But then it came time to put the sounds through the best test, the headphones, but which CD should I choose for this? Quickly I remembered; what I was really after here… Magical Mystery Tour popped to mind. Flying was my first thought to explore, so I plugged my HQ headphones into the receiver, I’d first listen to MMT and TFOTH first. MMT was good, TFOTH was better I could immediately notice it was much clearer and cleaner than I’d ever heard these songs before. Crystal clear sound, yet still very ambient and full. What I was hearing was a distinct separation of all the elements but still very natural sounding. It was just like I remember the new vinyl sounding; only better!

Then came the real treat for my ears… on side two… SFF… WOW!!! The swarmandal, what so clear and all the subtle sounds were so well defined, but the swarmandal kept giving me good bumps, outstanding re-mastering! Sir George Martin must have been at the boards for this to be so fantastic!

BYARM! Oh man, talk about rich!! The bass was so well defined, and the clavioline was phenomenal.

That’s all for now, I spent the rest of the evening beginning ripping the collection for download to my itouch , I did listen to a little of Past Masters 2 and Rubber Soul, on the way in today. Although not on headphones… it did sound very, very good.

Bottom-line – so far, was my investment of $175 for music I already owned worth it?

Abso-friggin-lutely!!! At about .80½ ¢ per song. For this high quality?!!

It’s a no-brainer for any true Beatles fan!!!

-Mike

First, let me begin with the fact that I first became a hardened Beatles fan about the year 1974,

I guess mine would be since infancy (mid sixties). My Mom has it written in one of my baby books that I was already playing their records while running in circles since age of 3. Yep, the Beatles can make you spin crazy. :D

I obtained everything they had recorded...

The majority of vinyl owned is in bad shape. I do have all their CDs and then some (the original CD releases from '87 in the black box with sliding up/down door; Both box sets (Volumes 1 and 2) of the Capitol albums; reissued numbered White Album back in early 90s; 1; Yellow Submarine Songtrack; Let It Be... Naked; Love; complete anthologies (both dvds and cds); etc, etc) and not to brag but both of the 'new' box sets. Yep, I'm one of the fortunate to own the 'mono' box set. Of course, I own the stereo box set too. I actually got a great price for the pair, something like $440 cdn including taxes.

I quit on the boots because they do nothing for me although the 'last licks live' - the Rooftop Concert is really good (sound). I was impressed. However, digress from 'The Black Album', the Get Back sessions, etc.

Fortunately I recorded them to cassette tapes before they got too bad. I replaced the cassettes in the early 90’s.

I still own all those reissued cassettes from '87 and '88 (the Past Masters came last). I also have Beatles Ballads on cassette and other stuff. I won't get into the paraphernalia stuff... :D

I have listened to the Beatles songs hundreds and hundreds of times in the last 35 years. I know every nuance within every song. Every instrument and every lyric I’ve memorized.

My favourite for the longest time is when John said "I f---ed up" at the 3:00 mark on "Hey Jude." Ringo's squeaky bass pedal can be heard in some of their earlier tracks. I also love the 'bleeds' (previous takes can faintly be heard on tape recorded over) ie, in "Lucy in the Sky...," "Happiness Is a...," etc.

If you really want to be annoyed from knowing every nuance, then I suggest not to concentrate on the majority of tracks on "Yellow Submarine Songtrack" and "1."

Anyway, I don't want to rain on your parade so in closing, once again I'm fortunate to own the mono set - just the way the Beatles intended their music to be heard. It's a whole different listening experience. Although I prefer stereo, I can understand why John (and Paul) insisted on their 'mono' recordings. Right up to the White Album, it was only meant to be heard in mono.

:)

I heard some tracks from the White Album and also from Help!.

I admitt it sounds fantastic. Yes, like I never heard before. But I already have everything they recorded, I was a fan in 1962 -my dad used to bring the records home- with their first single or ep, I spent my childhood and part of adult life enjoying their music. I have the mono and stereo LPs, the cds, the new editions, the tapes, remastered versions, even some 8-track from the early seventies... I find it a bit obsessive from my part to get the re-masters, I don't have the money and I'm no longer active as a music critic so I won't get that as promo material.

But I have a friend who's a real fan, he buys (or downloads) every new Beatle stuff there is. I'll have to ask him for that as a birthday or Christmas present... :)