Feeling a Little Compressed

Carl

I thought there would be a healthy backlash against over-compression after the incident with Metallica's Death Magnetic, but when I heard the new Foo Fighters song Wheels, it was clear that not everyone got the message. Check out the waveform:

This will get your attention in the same way a blast from a cannon will, but I can't get through a song like this without getting a headache. The track is so compressed all the way through that there is no space to counter the noise - didn't Miles Davis say it was what's between the notes that count?

I'm disappointed because I really like the Foo Fighters, and it saddens me to see one of the world's great bands become unlistenable because of bad mixing habits. You don't create classic songs this way.

Other artists are guilty as well, but this is the worst example I've seen in a while. Does it bother you guys when songs are mixed like this, and have you heard anything lately that could use some room to breathe?

Many pros and cons between digital and analog and the advantage here is analog so yes, all you vinyl lovers get those LPs out. :D

As someone else mentioned, what happened (and I think it was during the time of the remastered CDs the second time around) was a war on the gain (the decibels). While the rule of thumb is to have music at 89 dbs (with no clipping), some companies just decided to really amp it up, hence the loudness and hence that compressed sound to 'fool' the buying public. The fool is into believing this newer product makes previous versions inferior. Some of those 'remasters' are really nothing more than gains.

So Carl, if that Foo Fighters track and others you own really bothering you, I'll link to a free program (yes free and not illegal :) ) that can safely modify your mp3s so they are not that loud. Also, you can program it to eliminate clipping (which is probably what annoys you most). And the big plus is that it doesn't affect the music file whatsoever. It doesn't eliminate the trebles, mid-ranges, drums, etc. It only sets the perimeters of the output and if you want, eliminate clipping.

Also, I use it all the time before I make a mix CD. Everyone who keeps mp3 files in their HD know that some songs are loud and others soft. And isn't it annoying that you have to keep adjusting the volume for each track? Although some CD burner programs have a 'volume leveling' before the actual burn, I do not endorse that procedure. But this program I use (and many, many others) can also do 'album' settings along with just 'tracks'.

Take a gander -> mp3 gain

:)

As someone else mentioned, what happened (and I think it was during the time of the remastered CDs the second time around) was a war on the gain (the decibels). While the rule of thumb is to have music at 89 dbs (with no clipping), some companies just decided to really amp it up, hence the loudness and hence that compressed sound to 'fool' the buying public. The fool is into believing this newer product makes previous versions inferior. Some of those 'remasters' are really nothing more than gains.

what are the gains? :P have you seen the video I posted?

thanks for the link though, I'll try that program :)

what are the gains? :P have you seen the video I posted?

thanks for the link though, I'll try that program :)

That vid and along with a discussion was brought up long ago on another site. I forget the exact outcome but I think some were arguing regarding what is compression vs. gain vs. whatever.

Gain is just increasing the overall sound level. However, that free program will correct that overall sound level to what you feel comfortable with. For me, I use 92db but I also use the modified 'max-gain' for each track that also eliminates clipping. What that does is sets the highest peak for that file without 'clipping'. In other words, one track can be as loud as 96dbs while another only 92.7

However, when I make a mix CD, I put the mp3s in a folder and then do an album gain so that all tracks have similar volume.

Here is a very condensed definition of 'clipping' - ever listen to a track and notice some of the highs or even the loudest moments seem to stretch out more than your speakers can handle and sound distorted? Well, that's because speakers (headphones including) can only accept so many high levels before it distorts and that's the purpose of that program - eliminates that 'clipping' so that you can hear that track at the volume with no disturbances.

btw, sorry if I'm plugging that program. I'm not affiliated with them but just thought to mention it to help others.

ever listen to a track and notice some of the highs or even the loudest moments seem to stretch out more than your speakers can handle and sound distorted? Well, that's because speakers (headphones including) can only accept so many high levels before it distorts

okay, that's a fair point

I don't consider "general increase of volume" as one though, because that's what the "hardware" volume control at your radio / PC speakers is for

The downside is of course the serious loss of dynamic range and I actually don't consider that a good trade.

after a bit of thinking, I actually like the comment I quoted above even more: it IS the audio equivalent of Fast Food... it might taste good at first try, but it's not in the long run (and you should really avoid getting used to the taste ;) )

(^ all points referring to the general topic, I haven't checked out the program yet)

Edited by Guest
afterthought

Sorry, perhaps I'm not explaining it correctly (probably). That program has nothing to do with equalization and setting, compression, dynamics (equalizer), treble, flang, etc. The main purpose is to keep your audio files at a level most tolerant. It also eliminates any clipping.

wiki definition for 'clipping' ... is a form of waveform distortion that occurs when an amplifier is over-driven, which happens through attempts to increase the voltage or current beyond its maximum power capability. Driving an amplifier into clipping causes it to put out power in excess of its published ratings...

That program doesn't affect anything else on your files. Its all safe. Let me explain a scenario...

So far I have around 6,000 audio files in my hd. Now quite often, I like to play the tracks in 'random' order. Now, we all know some releases have different output levels (even to the extreme aka what Carl's example) and I don't know about anyone else but its a pain having to keep adjusting the volume control for every single track. Now with that program, you have that option to keep the tracks at a consistent level. However, you can do more than that but not leave them at the same level. Its all a matter of preference.

For me, suppose I want to burn a mix CD. I move the files to another folder and then do a gain for 'album' (not tracks). Sometimes I'll do a 'max-clip gain' for album but its just another preference. Once I'm finished, I sometimes clear the tracks to put back to original state. Yes, that's another benefit to that program - you can adjust to any level or just leave as is.

From what I understand, the majority of audiophiles prefer to use 'max clip gain' for tracks. What that does is lower (or raise) the db enough to eliminate the clipping. Of course, that means some tracks will be louder or softer than others. Its all just a preference.

For me personally, that's what I use when I listen through the computer. I just eliminate the clippings but still keep the files around their original output. Yes, some tracks are louder than others but for certain ones that are much too loud, I just run the 'gain' and set to 92 dbs.

On a similar topic, I still consider myself an audiophile but not to the extreme. I'm comfortable with my conclusions that I didn't want to become like others who are convinced of the vast extremities when really its a simple matter, just like the placebo effects (in other experiments). Another story, another discussion, another debate... :D