Mis-labeled songs

billy2times

Okay, this is a pet peeve of mine. Due to file sharing, there is an entire generation of people who think, for example, that ELO did Love Is Like Oxygen...not Sweet.

I spend a lot of time playing trivia in Second Life and have yet to see a DJ there who knows that Cry Little Sister from the Lost Boy soundtrack is by Gerard McMann, not the Sisters of Mercy.

So I have decided to write some trivia questions on mislabeled songs. What are some that you have run across or the funniest ones you have seen?

The reasons why "Love Is Like Oxygen" doesn't bother me when people find the confusion is because of the structure, sound, and production. It has Jeff Lynne stamped all over it and whether or not 'Sweet' was truly inspired, that I do not know.

I've read that people have confused America's "Horse with No Name" with Neil Young. And lets not forget Canadian rockers (or pop rockers) 'Klaatu' who many (and I mean many) claimed a facade for the Beatles.

Search on any music related website (except for Songfacts, of course :grin: ) and you will probably find several references to a version of Stairway To Heaven recorded as a collaboration by Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. In reality, they are probably referring to this version by Far Corporation (a band featuring three members of Toto and a few other musicians), which was released in 1985. :doh:

Also, there's the fact that so many people seem to think Cat's In The Cradle was originally recorded by Cat Stevens. :doh:

Edited by Guest

• 4 months later...