David Letterman victim of extortion attempt

MindCrime

On his October 1, 2009 show, Letterman revealed that he had been the victim of an extortion attempt. The perpetrator demanded $2 million not to reveal that Letterman had been sexually involved with several female staffers. Letterman said he wrote a phony check to the man for $2 million as part of the investigation process. The perpetrator was arrested and Letterman testified to the affairs in front of a grand jury. During the testimony, Letterman acknowledged that he did have affairs with staff. During the show, he said "Would it be embarrassing if it were made public? Perhaps it would." "I feel like I need to protect these people—I need to certainly protect my family."

That's quite an assumption. He hasn't always been a old bony wrinkly dude. Letterman has been on television a long time, and it's been stated that the affairs occured prior to his marriage. I'm sure there are a lot of women willing to bed a star just for the sake of bedding a star ... not necessarily only to keep her job. I see nothing wrong here, and I applaud Letterman for being upfront enough to speak about it publically.

The very intersting part is that it was a former CBS official, a producer of, among other things 48 Hours, that did the blackmailing. You'd think the man would have been just a tad more intelligent than to think he'd get away with this. :P