Nervana only hurts modern rock music

Mr.Lebowski

Yeah it's in the top three of my fave albums.(though they're always changin' around In Utero always manages to stay in there)

I love all the tracks (Tourette's although weird(and it's supposed to be) is a fun little thing to listen to)

I love the soft laid back ones

Dumb

All Apologies

and the loud distorted feedback ones

Just Ape(I love it)

Milk It

Tourette's

Scentless Apprentice

and then the ones that kind of blend the two

Heart Shaped Box

Pennyroyal Tea(though the remix that they put on the greatest hits package was awesome)

Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle

Serve The Servants

Radio Friendly Unit Shifter.

Love 'em all. :coolio:

Though there are quite a few I love from Nevermind, though not every single one.

('Something In The Way' was freakin' brilliant!)

I get irritated here because our National Radio station won't play anything earlier than 1990 - and music had been mostly PANTS since then (save for Nirvana, The Pixies, Radiohead and Blur and one or two others).

Yay Pixies! I'm gonna see them this Sept :headphones:

I just hope that when people reminisce and/or write about the 90s music scene, they won't forget to mention the others who partook in the whole Alterno Rock movement that rightfully toppled late 80s Hair Metal. I mean, one could take so much of Poison and Motley Crue before thinking enough is enough, ya know? Nirvana is definitely one of the big players, but just because they were the most popular and the most recognized by music fans doesn't make them the best. At that time other bands were in it working it the same way Nirvana was - it could have been any of those bands. Think of The Meat Puppets, Bob Mould/Sugar, The Screaming Trees, Tad, Paw, Urge Overkill, etc. Nirvana itself couldn't have moved people away from the old and into the new. It was the synergistic effect of all those other bands' music playing in radio stations other than college radio. Nirvana was just the figure head for the whole movement. It's not bad as long you realize the other great music in the same vein that was made by other bands.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention a very important point

Nirvana killed Guns 'N' Roses(pretty much) Michael Jackson(Nevermind dealt him that final death blow in the charts, then he started touching little boys) and then all of hair metal in general. :bow:

... Michael Jackson... then he started touching little boys...

Careful, Scott. Has this been proved yet? Don't get me wrong. I'm not a fan and certainly do not condone what he has been accused of but, if not proven, this could be construed as libelous.

Agreed.

I think they are a little overrated and I wouldn’t want them on my classic rock radio station.

As for hurting modern music, that's possible, though, IMO, the lack of talent and originality among some of today's bands isn't helping either.

True, I can't stand Nirvana and think they're way overrated for a band that only had enough albums to count on one hand. Even if Cobain didn't die, they would have disbanded soon after thier second album becuase of thier heroin use. And modern bands do have a lack of talent, both in the music and their lyrics.

It's too bad no one can write well like back in the days of rock and roll. Dream Theater is the only more recent band I like, and they've been around since 88.

Most of the posts on this topic are pretty ridiculous. Nirvana is a band. They get played on radio stations. Radio stations are funded to play music. Bands play music. Who the hell cares if your rock station plays Nirvana. I'm sure they play Green Day and Pearl Jam and the Offspring too. If bands' music isn't going to stick around, what is the point of releasing it ever? Also, the comments about ripping other bands off. That is all grade A bologna. Music comes from somewhere. Why don't we just start blaming Johan Sebastian or Ludwig Van. Hell, what about African chants, they were started ages ago. Quit your bitchin'.

Most of the posts on this topic are pretty ridiculous. Nirvana is a band. They get played on radio stations. Radio stations are funded to play music. Bands play music. Who the hell cares if your rock station plays Nirvana. I'm sure they play Green Day and Pearl Jam and the Offspring too. If bands' music isn't going to stick around, what is the point of releasing it ever? Also, the comments about ripping other bands off. That is all grade A bologna. Music comes from somewhere. Why don't we just start blaming Johan Sebastian or Ludwig Van. Hell, what about African chants, they were started ages ago. Quit your bitchin'.

Goodness. I guess some people don't realize you're allowed to have an opinion in here. Don't get mad, dude. Let it roll off your back.

To quote the sagacious Opiate, "Just because it's your opinion, doesn't make it my truth."

If you disagree with someone in here, that's cool. There's no need to attack anyone. It spoils the karma, dude.

First of all, If you're going to criticize something learn about the topic, or at least learn how to spell it correctly. Nirvana was on of the most influential bands of all time, especially to most of the new music you hear today. So how can you knock something like that. As a matter of fact Nirvana had a song released not too long ago called "You know you're right",It wasn't the greatest song but it was something new. In my opinion Nirvana was also one of the best bands ever. When I came apon this discussion I thought a lot of people were going to defend Nirvana, yet to my dismay it was a complete mockery. I'm not in the greatest mood right now, so If I'm coming off strong, my apologies.

With all this talk about Nirvana rip offs, lest we forget Nirvana wasn't exactlly original either. Did we forget these guys?

galerie_01.jpg

Nirvana didnt rip off jumi hendrix, there were four original members in the band. The drummer was rotating around with different people after Chad Channing left. Nirvana still has some good stuff that hasnt been released, so if your assuming that Nirvana SUCKS just because they went mainstream, you dont know much about them. Most of their songs were original, Kurt wrote them himself. I dont know why you say that they are a rip off of the Jimi Hendrix Experience, because they are not. Nirvana is more than just the songs Smells Like Teens Spirit, so look into it before you decide that the band sucks.

Clam down kiddo. I think Nirvana sucks.. because they do! Everything after Never Mind sucked so much and was about dieing and how much he sucked at life and stuff like that. Obviously you were too easily enraged that I insulted your god, to know I NEVER SAID NIRVANA RIPPED OFF T.J.H.E.! Everyone else said that, because they are stupid.