Nervana only hurts modern rock music

Mr.Lebowski

If anyone has reciently listened to k-rock, or a similer radio station, you probibly heard a nervana song. sure, nirvanas a great band, but they are 12 years old... old enough so that they should be on a classic rock station. Since cobain's death, there been a steady supply of crappy nirvana rip off bands that, because of their popularity, make it impossible for interesting bands to get airtime.

Case in point, spin magazine has at least three covers a year that feature nirvana, talking about how cobain was a tortured soul, and yet another story about how he was god-like. Why does a 12 year old band with a dead lead singer need that much press and air time? Nirvanas a great band, but at this point their popularity is stunting the growth of rock like cigarettes. When you ask a person their favorite band, more often then not then mention nirvana. its time to move on.

Now this is probibly gonna result in a lot of posts of

"hey stupidface, nervana is the greatest band ever! you suck!"

i love nirvana, and yes, they are one of the greatest bands of all time, but at this point they are just hurting modern music.

Nirvana was good...but they were not and ARE NOT that good

Agreed.

I think they are a little overrated and I wouldn?t want them on my classic rock radio station.

As for hurting modern music, that's possible, though, IMO, the lack of talent and originality among some of today's bands isn't helping either.

When you ask a person their favorite band, more often than not they mention Nirvana. It's time to move on.

Not me: Nirvana is not my favorite...mine is The Doors...talk about not moving on.

Nirvana were pioneers of sorts, but what they were pioneers of seems to have faded away with Kurt's death. Nirvana were not nearly in the same league as Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, or any other classic rock band...true pioneers that paved the way for others -- the one's whose musical influence can be heard in countless bands.

When Nirvana was around, life wasn't nearly as tumultuous as the 60's and 70's: sexual revolution, war, civil rights, etc. The classic bands came out during this era and gave people a feeling of freedom in a time when things were so rigid and restrictive...they had a hand in creating changes in the way people think, feel, and act. What major, life altering influence did Nirvana really contribute?

IMO, however, the death of Kurt, did have the same impact on people that Jim Morrison's death did, but the death of Kurt seems to have had a more profound affect on the younger generation; whereas, people who weren't yet born when Jim died worship him to this day. Can worship of Kurt last 33 years? Time will tell.

People like musicians who live out their songs. Kurt was a character. He was exactly what you thought he should be through listening to his music, a depressed man who killed himself. Jim Morrison is also a character. He lived out his songs. Nirvana was a big influence on me when I was younger. They got me into alot of great bands like Pere Ubu, The Pixies, The Velvet Underground, and The Melvins which also helped me find alot of other cool bands. I don't know how old you all are but I'm guessing you might have forgot what the 80's were like. Nirvana paved the way for all of the other bands, no matter how much you hate that its true. People also said Jim Morrison wasn't a poet but a drunk. Nirvana isn't the greatest band in the world I know that because I know my roots. But do you? Have you heard of The Germs, The Velvet Underground, The Raincoats, and The Jam if you did you might respect them more.

If anyone has reciently listened to k-rock, or a similer radio station, you probibly heard a nervana song. sure, nirvanas a great band, but they are 12 years old... old enough so that they should be on a classic rock station. Since cobain's death, there been a steady supply of crappy nirvana rip off bands that, because of their popularity, make it impossible for interesting bands to get airtime.

Case in point, spin magazine has at least three covers a year that feature nirvana, talking about how cobain was a tortured soul, and yet another story about how he was god-like. Why does a 12 year old band with a dead lead singer need that much press and air time? Nirvanas a great band, but at this point their popularity is stunting the growth of rock like cigarettes. When you ask a person their favorite band, more often then not then mention nirvana. its time to move on.

Now this is probibly gonna result in a lot of posts of

"hey stupidface, nervana is the greatest band ever! you suck!"

i love nirvana, and yes, they are one of the greatest bands of all time, but at this point they are just hurting modern music.

Well most of MODERN ROCK MUSIC sucks. They are all cheap bands. I dont really agree with you, about having nirvana on a classic rock station. But, the songs they play on the radio are all from the Greatest Hits. I would like it better if they played the unreleased songs, or songs that were not as well known but still good.

So to answer your question about why nivana gets so much airtime over new rock bands, is because most of them suck. Nirvana is old but by far much better than most of todays bands.

Also im wondering why you spelt Nirvana, Nervana.

NOTE: Im not saying "hey stupidface, nirvana is the greatest band ever! you suck!" Nirvana is my favorite band, but i would also like to hear some other bands as well.

Kurt was exactly what you thought he should be through listening to his music, a depressed man who killed himself. Jim Morrison is also a character. He lived out his songs. People also said Jim Morrison wasn't a poet but a drunk.

My heart went out to Kurt when he died, because I felt like he must have been suffering like hell so deep inside - his pain came out in his lyrics. Kurt was a beautiful but tragic soul...as was Jim Morrison.

Kurt was outwardly quiet, shy and brooding, but his words said so much - he told it like it was. Jim was anything but quiet, so there is misconception that whatever he suffered from was drug and booze induced; however, Jim's words were dark and mysterious and full metaphors, and reading between the lines isn't as easily done. These two men dealth with things differently, but we could read Kurt like an open book; we could almost see it coming. Jim's death was a shock, but he apparently knew his end was coming - and some of his words are so deep and disturbing that it's taken years to try to read into -- without much success.

On Jim being a drunk...well, we cannot dispute that - it was and is common knowledge that he had a problem, but more people than not will dispute that he was not a poet. People who knew Jim have described him as a very sensitive, loving, compassionate and sweet guy...something one would never see beyond his antics, arrests, and at times, his downright obnoxiousness.

The truth about both men is that they were real, and whatever pain and darkness came out in their lyrics and poetry, be it on the surface or buried deep -- they were what they wrote about.

May both their souls rest in the peace they never had in the physical world.

...i love nirvana, and yes, they are one of the greatest bands of all time, but at this point they are just hurting modern music....

I'm not sure that you can actually blame Nirvana for this. Maybe you should write to your local radio station and ask them to play more Blink 182 (or whatever 'great' music you've got goin' on over there at the mo'....oh yeah....Usher...ask for more Usher....)

Nirvana gave us THREE great albums. "12 years old" is nothing. The albums are classics and lots of people love 'em. What's wrong with your radio stationplaying them? I get irritated here because our National Radio station won't play anything earlier than 1990 - and music had been mostly PANTS since then (save for Nirvana, The Pixies, Radiohead and Blur and one or two others).

Basically modern rock has two different bands right now.

Bands where the frontman rips off Kurt

Bands where the frontman rips off Eddie Vedder.

Examples of the two

Kurt rip offs

Puddle Of Mudd(the guy even tries to look like him(tries and sound like him too), and if you listen to 'She F***in' Hates Me' all it is a 'angrier'(and dumber) version of 'About A Girl' (that's what I liked about Kurt, he didn't have to swear to get his point across, sometimes a curse is required to fully explain yourself, but you don't have to be all 'Limp Bizkity' about it)

Seether(don't mind 'em as much, but it's still a Kurt rip off, sounds, and looks like him)

Switchfoot(looks exactly like him, bothers the hell out of me, doesn't try to really sound like him, but you can hear some Kurt in his voice)

And the list goes on and on and on

Vedder rip offs

Creed!!!!!!!! Holy crap, Scott Stapp was(thank god!) the most blatant rip off artist of all time. 'nuf said

you know what I'm gonna mention Creed a few more times under this category, just 'cuz they ripped off Pearl Jam so much

Creed

Creed

Creed

Creed

Creed

Yeah, and basically every band that doesn't fit under the 'Kurt rip off' category, tries to sound like Vedder.

Nirvana was a great band, Kurt didn't have much talent with the guitar, but he played it in a way that hadn't been done before (he only used simple chords, but he progressed them in a way that made it sound completely different from what we'd heard before, unfortunately this opened the door for bands to think 'Hey, we don't have to have any talent to make a band!' but they don't have the charisma, or writing ability of Nirvana.

And also In Utero had some cool guitar work.(mmmm feedback)

Oh yeah, Nickelback, what a Nirvana rip off, and they suck majorly.

Yeah, well, Scott Staph...I mean Stapp, may sound a lot like Ed Vedder, but he's trippin' if he thinks Pearl Jam fans will ever accept him

...no more than Led Zeppelin fans were won over by a Robert Plant wannabe named piss.gifDavid Coverdale!

Scotty Boy needs to lay off the bong water! nuts.gif

I hate mentioning Scott Stapp 'cuz people will always make a snide comment about him afterwards, but it will take me a while to realize that they're talking about him and not me

For a moment I was gonna reply with something like "I'm on the recomended daily dosage of bong water thank you very much!"

Oh BTW nice squirrel/chimpmunk thing, it even has proper 'shake off technique' at the end. ::

Heehee or as Plant called him David Coverversion

Inscesticide wasn't an album, it was a collection of B-sides and rarities.(the rarities being better than the B-sides IMO)

The last three tracks of it are well worth the buy though.

(Aero Zeppelin, Big Long Now, and Aneurysm) plus there are a few B-side gems hidden along throughout that 'collection'