Warner Music comes back to Youtube

The Seeker

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 2009

Warner Music Comes Back to YouTube

Music Licensing: It's complicated. Let's face it. But today all of that is beside the point: we are happy to announce that Warner Music Group (WMG)'s artists are returning home to YouTube. Under this new, multi-year global agreement, you will be able to discover, watch and share Warner music on the site. The partnership covers the full Warner catalog and includes user-generated content containing WMG acts.

With Warner on board, we now have artists from all four of the major music labels & publishers together with hundreds of indie labels and publishers on our platform. Warner will also be able to sell their own ad inventory and will use our Content ID technology to claim and monetize user-generated videos uploaded to YouTube by Warner Music fans. The partnership is based on a revenue share generated from the ads on the videos, and this makes good business sense for everyone involved: artists and labels can make money from their videos and the YouTube community gets to enjoy them.

But enough talk... let's get back to the rock. Warner's videos will begin appearing on YouTube in the near future.

Chris Maxcy, Director of YouTube Partner Development

Link

I'll miss blaming WMG for everything that goes wrong in my life :(

^ one of the first comments from that blogpost:

Moosie said...

And now we're supposed to suddenly trust them again, after what they did to us last December? What about the millions of videos they trashed? The thousands of innocent users who got screwed, had their videos removed, even had their accounts suspended, purely because WMG walked out on their agreement? Is all of this damage going to be undone? I doubt it.

As result of their profit mongering action, I have lost all respect for WMG, and I will never again knowingly buy one of their products. I will also never again trust them to keep their word. I doubt that I'm alone in my thinking.