A band called 'England'

Harleyman

I have a 7" single buried in storage, bought in 1979 in the UK.

The band were called 'England' and the track was called "London Story'

They were a three piece band and I think Prog Rock-ish?

The single was from the bands debut Triple Album, which I never heard of being released.

Other fact was that Mike Reid used the track as a jingle on his Radio 1 morning show???

Does anyone have a copy or can anyone point me towards any info in the band?

I have a 7" single buried in storage, bought in 1979 in the UK.

The band were called 'England' and the track was called "London Story'

They were a three piece band and I think Prog Rock-ish?

The single was from the bands debut Triple Album, which I never heard of being released.

Other fact was that Mike Reid used the track as a jingle on his Radio 1 morning show???

Does anyone have a copy or can anyone point me towards any info in the band?

I'm from the UK, and about the right demographic.* I was a regular listener to the Radio 1 morning show in question, presented by Mike Read (Mike Reid = cockney comedian and latterly, actor, as Frank Butcher in Eastenders). Regrettably, I don't remember any band called "England", nor a jingle which might have been called "London Story". Most of Read's radio-show jingles tended towards the "new-wave / power-pop" genres. Anyway: I intend to look into it. Maybe my "International Discography of The New Wave" might be able to shed some light on this: I'll peruse it when I get home.

N.B.*When I say "the right demographic", I mean, "the right age to have been a listener of the Radio 1 morning show at the time Mike Read was presenting it". I wasn't a fan of prog-rock, never have been and, in all likelihood, never will be.

Looking at the website Shawna linked to (up there), that's probably the band you're looking for. But no mention of any 7" singles. Also they've recently sold out of their re-issue of the 1977 debut album "Garden Shed", the one which might have had "London Story" on it. Bummer.

There was another band in the UK called 'England' that to my knowledge, released just one album in '76, reissued on CD in '95 but both the disc and vinyl are now hard to come by. The original LP was released on the 'Deroy' label ("Deroy Sound Service" to be exact). What's the label on your 45?

However, there is no song titled "London Story." The track titles are as follows -

The Osprey

Keswick Line

Out of Town

Beauty & the Beast

Paradise Lost

How Does it Feel?

Nature Ruled

The Fleece

Life and Soul

• 5 years later...

The band was started by Mark (St John) Ibbotson.  They recorded the following songs: Bicycle Boys, London Story, Victorina, Spires in the Sky, Soho Saturday, Samantha, Harold, Under the Pier, He's the Face, Hearts of Glass, Shadow of Stage, World of Mecca, In the Morning, Obediah Taxi, Sicilian Avenue, From Me, Tinker, Water's Edge, Arcade, Deserted Ballroom, Red Shoes and Kites.