Roman Polanski detained in Zurich

Farin

Polanski is a pervert. He drugged and raped a 13 year old girl and then fled the country, knowing full well that the ridiculous plea arrangement would eventually be thrown out in court.

Shame on Hollywood for supporting this child rapist. Shame on Nicolas Sarkozy's press office for referring to the crime as a "misdemeanour". And shame on the French culture minister for saying that this situation reminds him that America "scares us". Here's a newsflash: I'm sure your attitude revolts Americans (75 per cent of whom think Polanski should be punished) and they heartily hope it is not representative of French public opinion on the matter.

It certainly isn't surprising that Woody Allen is one of those Hollywood types who signed the "Free Polanski" petition. He's another pervert who likes to have sex with young girls.

I hope Polanski rots in jail for the rest of his wretched life.

While I admire the US' sense of no statute of limitations for terrible crimes ; one that Japan is just now considering for murder , of all things , one has to wonder just to or for whom justice is being served here . The victim has decided to forgive and give tentative support for it to just go away , so pursuing this only reveals a Puritan zealotry by the judiciary which has rarely served the country well in the past - as well as costing taxpayers a small fortune. Shouldn't her wishes, being the wronged party , supersede those of the courts ?

It is about being just. This is a society of rules and laws; one of them being that if you drug and rape a kid, you are to be sentenced to jail. It's so simple and straight-forward that it boggles the mind how one would think otherwise. I'm sure we also want charlie manson and his followers to rot in jail as opposed to let 'em flee to france and avoid being punished for their crimes :beatnik:

I remember the scandal back in the early 80's w/ Natasha Kinski (spelling) during the production of "Cat People."

Even though the credits for direction went to rookie, "Paul Schrader"

It was in fact directed by Polanski but to side-swipe media, per se, he stepped down.

He's not a director, he's an artist.

JMHO

... And, to be fair, I don't think Gandhi and those little girls did much sleeping :beatnik:

So Polanski is a monster, Phil Spector a murderer but Mahatma Sexy Sadie is the icon of non-violence... a bit like John Lennon, who was a violent man, beating his wife and children but yet another peace icon...

A bit. But not that I care that much... :shades: I will go on admiring Lennon and thanking him for the lovely soundtrack of my childhood. I won't change my mind about Spector or Polanski or MJ or Pete Townshend or Jerry Lee Lewis or so many... ( Modigliani, Picasso, Hemingway, Sallinger, etc)

But no more Mahatma Sexy Sadie...

So Polanski is a monster, Phil Spector a murderer but Mahatma Sexy Sadie is the icon of non-violence... a bit like John Lennon, who was a violent man, beating his wife and children but yet another peace icon...

I never saw lennon and sexy sadie as more than hypocrites and charlatans (in the case of mahatma, a child rapist as well) :beatnik: