(Just to get a feel of who's who) Frank Zappa fans here?

berjo1429030949

First off, the Beatles have always been my favourite band but I also have diverse taste in music. I figure if mentioned 'Beatles' in the subject line, it may distract the users that otherwise may not be acquainted with. Yes, I'm very interested in tastes, opinions, etc.

To make this short, simple really...

1) Do you enjoy FZ all around regardless of his input/output?

2) Particular eras you favour, eg. the 60s, early 70s, post-Zappa in New York to the very early 80s, etc?

3) An actual diehard fan (note: I'm not all that keen in the use of 'diehard' description. Just because you own all said albums, boots, etc and paraphernalia doesn't make you the artist or band's martyr. In other words, we are all fans)?

4) He's strange but still enjoy the music?

5) Favourite albums, tracks, musicians?

5) etc?

6) etc?

Thank you.

As for me, I was quite young with my first introduction. "Fillmore East - June 1971" and "Roxy & Elsewhere" were the first 8-tracks I've heard. Then my one brother borrowed the "Hot Rats" LP from a friend. Later, I purchased "Over-Nite Sensation" with my hard earned paper route money. That album is still my favourite FZ album.

:)

�

Edited by Guest
spelling and grammar errors. dang I should proofread my posts. lol

Frank Zappa is pretty much top of my list of "artists I should listen to more". I haven't heard any full Zappa albums yet, but I really like the songs I have heard so far. I think my favourites have been tracks from the early 70s. :)

I've been wanting to buy Freak Out! for a while now. I'll probably get it pretty soon.

Frank Zappa is pretty much top of my list of "artists I should listen to more". I haven't heard any full Zappa albums yet, but I really like the songs I have heard so far.

same here :P

I pretty much only know Bobby Brown goes down, Yellow Snow, that partly German song ("Stick it out"?) and of course one of the most quotable songs:

What's the ugliest part of your body?

some say your nose

some say your toes

but I think it's your mind

:D

what would you suggest one should start with? :)

First off, thx for replying. I guess I erred in assessing the folks here. I figured that mentioning other bands (instead of the Beatles, Monkees, Radiohead, Rolling Stones, etc) may bring some out of the woodwork. lol

I guess perhaps I should of said "Any Beatles fans here?" :)

Anyway, like many other bands, you just can't be absolutely sure on the advice for neophytes where to commence (with FZ). I've read from many that in a nutshell, begin with "One Size Fits All." However, I don't agree even though a good album. I do think its important where to begin because if you do dive in with the wrong album, you may digress from FZ period.

My favourite FZ album is "Over-nite Sensation." Its probably FZ's most accessible album. There isn't a whole lot of quirkiness either and if not mistaken, its his only album with vocals on every track. You could also say it has the most commercial appeal even though I don't think the radio will play 'Dinah Moe-Humm' and my favourite, 'Zomby Woof'. My all-time favourite FZ guitar solo is on the latter.

If you love jazz-fusion, you can't go wrong with "The Grand Wazoo," "Waka/Jawaka" and "Hot Rats." The latter seems to be the most supreme choice among the elitists.

If you do like tracks such as 'Bobby Brown', then "Joe's Garage," "Tinseltown Rebellion" and the rest of "Sheik Yerbouti" are other choices.

Post-Tinseltown Rebellion is an area I'm not overly keen about as compared to all other works but doesn't mean to stray. I actually like "The Man From Utopia" but I need to give more attention to "You Are What You Is" and "Them or Us" among a few others.

You can't really go wrong with any of his 70s material but for starters, stray from "Studio Tan" for the time being. Of course my opinion and speaking of opinions, I think FZ's last best year was in 1979 with "Sleep Dirt," "Sheik Yerbouti" and "Joe's Garage." Again, that's not saying any post-1979 isn't worth its merit. There are gems out there.

I know I didn't mention every album (and there are a lot of them, especially the early ones) but perhaps this will give some indication.

Thanks again.

:)

Bluesy and phil (if I'm not mistaken) would be the most knowledgable Zappa fans here. Bluesy I'm know will have something to say here. :)

I myself am a Captain Beefheart fan, so my favorties tend to be those songs/albums that feature The Captain (Bongo Fury album, Willie the Pimp etc. etc). I really don't know much else, other than the obvious Joe's Garage, Yellow Snow, and other individual songs. The only album I know well at all, other than Bongo Fury, is Sheik Yerbouti.

Bluesy and phil (if I'm not mistaken) would be the most knowledgable Zappa fans here. Bluesy I'm know will have something to say here. :)

I myself am a Captain Beefheart fan, so my favorties tend to be those songs/albums that feature The Captain (Bongo Fury album, Willie the Pimp etc. etc). I really don't know much else, other than the obvious Joe's Garage, Yellow Snow, and other individual songs. The only album I know well at all, other than Bongo Fury, is Sheik Yerbouti.

Thx. Its good to know other fans. Just in case and to make myself more clear, I'm not after any skills of knowledge amongst any fans, even for music in general. I just thought to mention an artist/band that I love but digress from the most common names. And then perhaps a trade off of recommendations or in your case, just state an opinion. :)

You mentioned 'Bongo Fury'. Another good album!

Anyway, an earlier reminder from another board by a guitarist who claimed to own 90 CDs of FZ. I felt somewhat inadequate because I only own 39 (but didn't bother to count my vinyl since he only wanted to know owned CDs). I should be ashamed. ;)

:hippie:

While I wouldn't consider myself a diehard fan, I do enjoy quite a bit of his music. I first heard his early stuff, Freak Out, Absolutely Free and one of my favourites, Were Only In It For The Money.

I also really like his jazz-rock albums Hot Rats, with the version of "Peaches en Regalia" on it and "The Gumbo Variations", being a couple of my favourite Zappa songs and The Grand Wazoo.

Of his 70's albums I prefer the obvious Over-Nite Sensation, its follow-up Apostrophe and one of his best live albums Roxy and Elsewhere.

Ian Underwood's contributions to Zappa's records are also highlights for me: the awesome saxophone solo on "The Gumbo Variations", the piano solo opening on "Little House I Used To Live In" as well as his numerous wind and keyboard parts.

As for Zappa's later stuff I haven't heard enough to be able to comment on it.

Oh and welcome to Songfacts. :D

While I wouldn't consider myself a diehard fan, I do enjoy quite a bit of his music. I first heard his early stuff, Freak Out, Absolutely Free and one of my favourites, Were Only In It For The Money.

And to this day, many prefer that era. Although there are some great early tracks ("What's the Ugliest Part of Your Body?" "Go Cry on Somebody Else's Shoulder" "Help I'm a Rock" "Bow Tie Daddy" etc) my preference begins from 'Hot Rats' (but I also like 'Uncle Meat') right up and including 'Tinseltown Rebellion' although I do like a few other later releases.

I also really like his jazz-rock albums Hot Rats, with the version of "Peaches en Regalia" on it and "The Gumbo Variations", being a couple of my favourites Zappa songs and The Grand Wazoo.

Although Peaches is a good tune, it was never among my favs. You already mentioned my favourite off HR -> "The Gumbo Variations." :thumbsup:

'The Grand Wazoo' is an excellent album and probably safe to say I prefer it over HR.

Of his 70's albums I prefer the obvious Over-Nite Sensation, its follow-up Apostrophe and one of his best live albums Roxy and Elsewhere.

I have noticed from others that have similar FZ tastes also agree with 'Roxy and Elsewhere' as one of his 'live' best. Too bad Frank had equipment problems throughout that tour which explains why his guitar just quite didn't sound right, although his playing was top-notch.

You would probably like 'Sleep Dirt' and 'Waka/Jawaka'. On the former, you gotta check out "The Ocean Is the Ultimate Solution."

Oh and welcome to Songfacts. :D

Thank you. :coolio:

I just looked over the tracklisting and safe to say that's a pretty good breakdown on the title (commercial). And then on the other hand, you'll have fans bemoaning "But you gotta listen to his jazz-fusion..."

If I were to be accosted right now, I would recommend:

1) 'Over-nite Sensation' album and start with the track "Zomby Woof" and "Montana." And then play the rest of the album. If you do like what you hear and want to further investigate, you may also enjoy the following albums... Zoot Allures, One Size Fits All, Joe's Garage, etc.

2) If you like the above but need to also hear all about his great jazz-fusion... Roxy & Elsewhere, The Grand Wazoo, Waka/Jawaka, Hot Rats, etc.

3) If you like both 1 & 2 but need a bit more quirkiness... Apostrophe ('), Chunga's Revenge, etc.

Of course, I only just touched the surface and missed other inclusions like Sleep Dirt, Sheik Yerbouti, The Man from Utopia, Just Another Band from L.A., Burnt Weeny Sandwich, etc.

And again, just an opinion but for starters I wouldn't (just yet) venture off with Lumpy Gravy (unless you really love stuff like the Beatles' "Revolution #9," etc), Orchestral Favorites, etc.

I just looked over the tracklisting and safe to say that's a pretty good breakdown on the title (commercial). And then on the other hand, you'll have fans bemoaning "But you gotta listen to his jazz-fusion..."

If I were to be accosted right now, I would recommend:

1) 'Over-nite Sensation' album and start with the track "Zomby Woof" and "Montana." And then play the rest of the album. If you do like what you hear and want to further investigate, you may also enjoy the following albums... Zoot Allures, One Size Fits All, Joe's Garage, etc.

2) If you like the above but need to also hear all about his great jazz-fusion... Roxy & Elsewhere, The Grand Wazoo, Waka/Jawaka, Hot Rats, etc.

3) If you like both 1 & 2 but need a bit more quirkiness... Apostrophe ('), Chunga's Revenge, etc.

Of course, I only just touched the surface and missed other inclusions like Sleep Dirt, Sheik Yerbouti, The Man from Utopia, Just Another Band from L.A., Burnt Weeny Sandwich, etc.

And again, just an opinion but for starters I wouldn't (just yet) venture off with Lumpy Gravy (unless you really love stuff like the Beatles' "Revolution #9," etc), Orchestral Favorites, etc.

especially with artists that have dozens of styles in hundreds of albums (or so ;) ), I think a well-made compilation album is a good way to get a first overview... :)

I've been playing my FZ discs of late (been scrobbling some of them when I remember to turn it on :D ) and glad I didn't recommend 'Studio Tan'. Oh, its not a bad album (7/10) but I certainly wouldn't recommend at an early stage. I prefer "Billy the Mountain" (from 'Just Another Band from L.A.) over "The Adventures of Greggery Peccary" if story-based, 20+ minute tracks are your thing.

ok,"Studio Tan" and "Sleep Dirt" were both albums that were sort of confiscated by Warner Bros... Zappa had an agreement with the company for I think 3 albums (so there's another 1 in there) I'm not going to tell you that I have all of his Cd's (close though)... :guitar: But, "Burnt Weenie Sandwich" (despite it's name is "good" Also, "Uncle Meat" with lots of people... Lowell George, Beefheart...and others...IMO I don't think "Zappa" ever made a bad live album...crazy one's ...yes...but the music sort of outdid the lyrics..."Bongo Fury" :coolio: :doh: Damn, now I'm going to have to sort through my "Zappa" Thanks... :rockon: :happybanana:

I've been playing my Zappa CDs as of late. I plan on hearing them all once again. I just finished with "Them or Us" and never realized how really good it is. I'd say its one of his best from the 80s. Back in the 80s, I just let it fly under the radar. I did bring it out in the 90s but again it just didn't click. And now after more than a decade, well what can I say.

I'm not bothering with boots but may do a couple of compilations. So far, I've played through 32 albums in chronological order. I skipped "Absolutely Free" and "Cruising With Ruben & the Jets" but will go back to them. Soooo, next in line is "Frank Zappa Meets the Mothers of Prevention." The albums I've also skipped (either because I have it only on vinyl or just don't want to bother) are...

200 Motels

Orchestral Favorites

Baby Snakes

London Symphony Orchestra Vol. 1

Boulez Conducts Zappa: The Perfect Stranger

And since I'm going from "Them or Us" right to "Frank Zappa Meets the Mothers of Prevention," means I'm also not bothering with...

Francesco Zappa

Thing-Fish

I'll probably stop at "Ahead of Their Time" but may do "The Yellow Shark."

Ok, I have alot more Zappa than I thought..."Roxy and Elsewhere"... :coolio: "The best band you never heard in your life"...This is Zappa in the late 80's playing lots of his earlier stuff...A really bizarre cover of "Ring of Fire"..."Purple Haze" and "Stairway to Heaven" with horns instead of guitar...IMO, it's actually good...and a cover of "Whipping Post" :guitar: :thumbsup: ...And, a very good version of Ravel's..."Bolero" I don't ever remember :googly: ever listening to this so..."Thank you" I also listened to "Weasels ripped my flesh"... :hippie: The music is "I don't know" how to even describe it...Rock? Jazz? And I also listened to "Guitar Solo's...Look, I like FZ...But 2 cd's of his solo's frustrates me... And I can play...but not like that...too much guitar...too many different styles...another long post..."I'm sorry" folks... :couch: And I bought a dvd of "Baby Snakes"...I think that was the last time I saw FZ in NY...

"Roxy and Elsewhere" is one of his best live records that's unfortunately marred by his own equipment problems (his guitar tone doesn't sound as good as it should but his playing is top-notch).

Those guitar solo releases - are you talkin' about Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar series? I have all 3 of them:

Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar

Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar Some More

Return of the Son of Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar

I recommend the first two but the third is just a stretch.

Weasels Ripped My Flesh - I prefer Chunga's Revenge but its still not that bad of an album. "The Orange County Lumber Truck" which is probably the best off the album is actually an edited track. I have the full length version and its on... I forget at moment lol but its worth it.

Joe's Garage Act I is fun to go back to now and again. For Acts II and II, "Watermelon in Easter Hay" is the best track and one of my favs.

Edited by Guest