Shoegaze!

Levis

J'ai une question, s'il vous plait.

What sort of shooz are required for said gazing? I'm sure black Converse are de rigeur, but I do not have black Converse. I have pink and white striped Converse, solid pink sneakers and black skateboarding sneakers. Am I allowed to gaze at those? :D

I would like a list of ten shoe gaze songs so that I may playlist them for enjoyment.

I only have converses, they make my feet happiest. The ones in my avie are pink denim. I'm wearing them at the moment too. I also have blue denim and beige corduroy. I wore out the red ones I don't have them anymore :(

Oh course, srs shoegaze means you shun the term entirely because in effect you are staring not at shoes but at effects pedals (as mentioned earlier).

Ten shoegaze songs, easy: You Made Me Realise (MBV), When The Sun Hits (Slowdive - my signature), Pearl (Chapterhouse), Vapour Trail (Ride), Horror Head (Curve), Flying (Telescopes), For Love (Lush), Aruca (Medicine), Black Metallic (Catherine Wheel), Muffin 57 (All Natural Lemon and Lime Flavours) and Walking With Jesus (Sound of Confusion) (Spacemen 3) - just off the top of my head.

• 3 months later...

I don't know anything about Warpaint, having just discovered them randomly this morning in a reviews section, and liking the sound of the blurb.

They might already be really famous and have zero street credibility whatsoever, for all I know. But they do sound quite shoe-gaze / dream-pop to me. With elements of Sonic Youth's quiter moments, a hint of Cat Power, early Cure neo-psychedelic pop, a soupcon of Fleetwood Mac, even?

"Stars"

"Elephants"

"Billie Holiday"

"Krimson"

Whatever, they sound pretty good to me. I might even get this "Exquisite Corpse" album, one day.

• 2 months later...

I have a couple of tracks by Warpaint... I hadn't given them much attention till now. 'tisn't my fault there's too much very excellent shoegaze going on this year :(

Autolux refuse to tell us when the new album is due. Also Thom Yorke chose them to work with him or something. My opinion of them is in danger of dwindling.