Most underrated bands of the 60s/70s

More cowbell

A lot of bands already mentioned are not underrated. I'm sure the OP is asking for what bands/artists that never did quite get a glimpse of that illustrious 'rockdom' light.

Although famous post-70s, REO Speedwagon never did get much credit for their 70s material. I wouldn't be surprised that millions still think "Hi Fidelity" was their first album. lol

There are tons of bands that have released great albums (heck, better than the classics) but for some reason or another (ie. released in bad timing; no endorsement by label; poor management, etc) are only considered unsung to the ones who broaden their scope of music. Bubble Puppy's 1969 album "A Gathering of Promises" could of used more impact. And how about Carmine Appice's "Vanilla Fudge?" They and "Blue Cheer" could of stayed head to head with Led Zep, Deep Purple, etc.

Anyway, great topic!

Edited by Guest

I never said every band mentioned. The Sonic's "Psycho" is a great yet famous garage rock track. I know they've released a few other albums (including a Christmas album) but like so many other artists, failed to get that exposure.

So yes, I agree they are underrated even though not many singles were released ("Don't Be Afraid of the Dark," "Love-Itis," "The Witch" and "Lost Love" are the only ones that come to mind). Okay, I guess 4 or more singles released is pretty reasonable. lol

yes, Psycho is quite famous too (though in terms of 60s Garage Rock that might be a relative term ;) )

their most favourite track is probably their cover of "Have Love, Will Travel" though

I did have a thorough response earlier in the day but I was doing a cache cleaning (among other things) that not only bumped me off the site but lost my reply. lol

The gist of it was that I take you don't like to pigeon hole bands to certain genres. I don't mind genres but not to the extreme. I feel garage rock isn't that relative. If any genre I agree with that is split down the middle between the unequivocal and the naysayers, post-rock would be the one. The same for math-rock.

Anyway, there was more to Starbuck than "Moonlight Feels Right" but I guess once your first release single is a smash, be kind of hard to top it during the tumultuous mid to late 70s (with disco storming in and then a clashing about with new wave and punk...).

:cool:

The gist of it was that I take you don't like to pigeon hole bands to certain genres. I don't mind genres but not to the extreme. I feel garage rock isn't that relative. If any genre I agree with that is split down the middle between the unequivocal and the naysayers, post-rock would be the one. The same for math-rock.

nono :D

I just meant, since my original point was that the Sonics were underrated AND the first half of the 1960s were the time of the British Invasion and Motown, my statement that this song was their most "famous" one should be taken with a grain of salt, since it couldn't really be famous in the mainstream music of that time.

That was my point anyway, if that's factually wrong please someone correct me. ;)

I fully agree with your opinion on genres btw :thumbsup:

My sorry - I did read all posts but obviously missed out on your original view.

As for the genre, there are those that oppose garage-rock stapled to the more polished bands and/or tracks with the argument that in its beginnings, (garage rock) was nothing but rough, amateurish quality sound and production. I guess it would be ad nauseum to go on but as I understand both debates, my earlier description is just primitive thinking - time for those to think outside the box. Its like they're saying that if Air Supply dropped all their acoustic guitars and plugged in electrics with tons of distortion and Iron Maiden their back-up band just for one album, then soft-pop, adult contemporary, etc would no longer be linked to band. lol

:D

Edited by Guest
Corrected one word - bad grammar. I'm embarrassed. lol

Although famous post-70s, REO Speedwagon never did get much credit for their 70s material. I wouldn't be surprised that millions still think "Hi Fidelity" was their first album.

Thank you :bow: Early to mid REO is one of my favorites. Their more "well known" music almost seemed as though it was a different band. They changed direction, became more well known, and began to suck. :P;)

Edited by Guest
sloppy quote

Thank you :bow: Early to mid REO is one of my favorites. Their more "well known" music almost seemed as though it was a different band. They changed direction, became more well known, and began to suck. :P;)

You'll get that argument from many of their fans. I happen to like 'Hi Infidelity' but that's about it after that. I'll take their previous efforts any day.

Gary Richrath also happens to be one of my all-time favourite guitarists. His solos in "Live! You Get What You Play For" still puts other guitarists to shame.

edit: of course that's my personal opinion and nothing more.

:)

Edited by Guest
already explained. lol

Welcome to Songfacts Outhousemusic!...I love REO also...saw them in concert a few times....great band...and I too love their earlier stuff...

Thank you. Mighty kind.

At another site, I was basically glamorizing Gary when another user sent me a PM mentioning that he also saw the band in the 70s (I never did see the band :( ). He more or less said not many online mention Gary as one of their favs.

:cool:

P.S. the moniker 'outhousemusic' came to me early last year. There is an explanation (but don't feel like embellishing at moment - no its nothing bad nor humiliating) but I'm also using it over at last.fm

I'll agree about REO,there earlier stuff alot better than the later "crap"...and there was a song called "Gary's song" it had some very good guitar playing on it

You probably meant "Gary's Guitar Solo" which was atrociously left off the CD issue (also "Little Queenie") from one of my favourite 'live' albums -> Live: You Get What You Play For

I still own my vinyl edition but still to this day, both those tracks have not been officially released on CD. Such a shame really.