Most underrated bands of the 60s/70s

More cowbell

<------ Hot Tuna :D , Poco (great band, in the style of the Eagles, before the Eagles), Little Feat and Ozark Mountain Daredevils.

In the Sunday Morning Classics thread there are several great bands from the AOR days that are totally underrated and/or practically unknown today. (unless your well-aged like us).

And M. Cowbell, I completely agree with those 3 you mentioned. Welcome to SF by the way!! :)

"3 Jews in a Jeep " is one of my favorites . Though no one is ever credited with writing or even performing a song - nor ever playing an instrument , these 3 mop-tops from Brighton Beach likely changed the way we look at artists today . Bumming around the country and exposed to whatever the driver would pay for or put up with , these free-loaders managed to take in the entire scene of the late '60's-early '70's . Though confessing 'No interest in music at all ' these kids were what Rolling Stone called, 'pure and unadulterated; nor tied down to the Man ' .

One successfully as a lawyer fighting to promote infomercial fraud backed up by ridiculous , but sound , arguments based on the first amendment in the Supreme Court , while the other two mysteriously vanished in the wilds of Idaho in early 1970 while out apparently Grizzly hunting - which didn't seem to be their styles at all . Naturally ,the lone survivor doesn't want to speak about the band's break-up finding the fates of the ' could be drummer' and ' 'possibly the bassist' too painful a reminder of days gone by..

All in all , they could have been the most influential band of the sixties . To quote Jacob , " just give us a soda and we are good for another 5000 miles .'

:bow: :bow:

-Wikpedia

Great call on Montrose. :bow: Would have been HUGE if Ronnie Montrose wasn't such a d#$k and run off anybody that could play better than him (which is what I heard happened with Hagar when he quit). Ronnie also did some great work with the Edgar Winter Group. And, speaking of the Edgar Winter Group, who could also be on this list, how about Rick Derringer, who was in the Edgar Winter Group with Ronnie Montrose? Rock and Roll Hootchie Coo, baby.

I just saw this in another thread..."Manfred Mann's Earth Band"...I saw them in the 70's and everyone was asking for "Mighty Quinn" He never played it...was getting upset...But he put on a great show (and this was before "Blinded by the light"...Again, Lucky,right on... :guitar: Johnny Winter that dude can play (and play)And I found a "Hot Tuna" CD in a local mom and pop's store...

Blue Oyster Cult - Known primarily for two hits, this band actually put out some excellent albums. Donald (Buck Dharma) Roeser is a great guitarist.

Nick Lowe and Dave Edmunds. These two have collaborated so much that one often forgets that they each released some great solo material.

Rory Gallagher - Like Johnny Winter, Rory did not enjoy a great deal of commercial success, but like the aforementioned Mr. Winter, Gallagher could play, play, play!!!! It's too bad that he drank himself to death

I agree wholeheartedly with Lucky about Poco and Little Feat.