OASIS SPLIT!!!

Levis

Oasis split? WGAF? Should have done it years ago; probably after "What's The Story?"

The last album was total pants. "Get Off Your High Horse, Lady"??? Pur-leeeze! Only made it into the lower 40s of the "end of year Top 50 albums" lists because nobody amongst those journo list-makers had the cojones to stand up and be counted, to point out quite how few clothes the King has been wearing lately.

Glad Noel has seen the light and decided to give us all a break from their tired routine. He, at least, is talented enough as a guitarist and song-writer to go on and fulfil his destiny: unfortunately, I foresee collaborations with tediously predictable "kindred spirits" ahead. Who knows, he might go the whole hog and join Paul Weller's backing band. A mouth-watering prospect? Probably not, but one might be pleasantly surprised.

Hopefully we'll also get a break from the thoroughly tiresome spectacle of Liam sucking in his cheeks and glowering at us from billboards, bus-shelters and magazine covers, in the strained attempts at "effortless cool" he has made his life-long mission. The world will be a better place, once this irksome plonker no longer intrudes on our lives whenever there is product to promote.

I greet this news with a hearty cheer. Nice one, Noel! :thumbsup:

The last album is actually pretty ok if you give it a few listens. The one before that sucked, yeah, but Heathen Chemistry was awesome. And then there's the prospect of more touring... they're not yet too old to tour, so that's a bit of a pity.

Anyway, they're an institution... even if you think their music is not what it used to be, you can't deny that they've just always been around. No comments now on how you wish it wasn't so :P

That said, one tiny part of me is glad they quit before they turned 50. I don't want them to be the next Rolling Stones, or Who, or...

The last album is a 6/10, maybe 7/10, if we're being generous. Anybody putting it in their "best album of the year" line-up obviously wasn't listening to enough new music.

Yes, Heathen Chemistry was pretty good, I concede you that one. I don't hold with "being an institution" as a legitimate reason for continued existence. They were well past their "sell by" date. Like Status Quo in the 70s, I've no doubt they'll be back, probably with more of the same, because they're a band that doesn't know how to move forwards.

I accept everything people dislike about oasis because I love 'em and I love their lack of imagination and the fact that all their albums sound the same because with everyone going experimental and out of the box, Oasis come across as incredibly appealing to someone as narrow minded and afeared of change as moi :cool:

I'd say there have been quite a few quintessentially British bands around, it's just that most of them aren't especially good. Kaiser Chiefs are quintessentially British, The Enemy, Babyshambles, Franz Ferdinand, perhaps.

The Arctic Monkeys are quite quintessentially British. And they're really good. But they're not stuck in one place, which is to their advantage.