New York Mets have $88m worth of players on Disabled List

MindCrime

joker-burning-money-in-tdk1.jpg

Mets General Manager Omar Minaya shown here lighting more money on fire

At $149 million, the New York Mets have the second highest payroll in Major League Baseball this season. The Mets trail only the crosstown New York Yankees in terms of player salaries. The Yankees are spending $202 million on players this year.)

For that amount of cheese, Mets general manager Omar Minaya was able to accumulate 11 All Stars on his 25 man roster. Unfortunately for Minaya and Mets owner Fred Wilpon, the Mets may be the most cursed and injury-riddled team in baseball history.

How besieged have the Mets been by injuries? New York currently has a staggering 13 players on the disabled list. Arguably the top five Mets players are all currently sidelined. Here’s a mind boggling stat courtesy of the New York Post: the combined salaries of those 13 players currently on the disabled list is $88 million!

That’s right, of the Mets $149 million worth of players, $88 million worth of them are currently on the DL. The injured Mets include pitcher Johan Santana ($20 million per year), outfielder Carlos Beltran ($18.5 million), first baseman Carlos Delgado ($12 million), third baseman David Wright ($7.75 million), shortstop Jose Reyes ($6.12 million), pitcher J.J. Putz ($6 million), pitcher John Maine ($2.6 million), infielder Alex Cora ($2 million), and recently injured pitcher Oliver Perez ($12 million.)

There is only one remaining “All Star†left in the Mets starting lineup or pitching rotation-second baseman Luis Castillo. Castillo was a National League All Star with the Florida Marlins in 2002, 2003 and 2005. At this point, Castillo is an All Star in name only. In fact, he’s by far one of the worst and most overpaid players in baseball. He has hit one home run this season to go along with 34 RBI. That one home run cost the Mets $6.25 million. Nevertheless, with David Wright injured, Castillo may end up leading the Mets in hits this season.

It’s been that type of year.

(Source: Wordpress, Aug 2009)

Wow! I expect some football teams (both soccer and NFL) have had similar figures in the past, but I've certainly never heard as much as $88 million for injured players. :stars:

On the other hand, Tiger Woods earned around $110 million last year despite being injured for most of the year. :stars: :stars:

There is only one remaining “All Star†left in the Mets starting lineup or pitching rotation-second baseman Luis Castillo. Castillo was a National League All Star with the Florida Marlins in 2002, 2003 and 2005. At this point, Castillo is an All Star in name only. In fact, he’s by far one of the worst and most overpaid players in baseball. He has hit one home run this season to go along with 34 RBI. That one home run cost the Mets $6.25 million. Nevertheless, with David Wright injured, Castillo may end up leading the Mets in hits this season.

It’s been that type of year.

(Source: Wordpress, Aug 2009)

There is actually 1 other Met All-Star starting pitcher who has taken the field at Citi Field in the past week. Last Saturday, the Mets honored the 40th anniversary of the 1969 World Championship team . And throwing out the first pitch was none other than Hall of Famer Tom Seaver. Hell, if Satchel Paige could pitch into his 60's ... :D

Oh, I didn't realize you were on the team. Can you get me Derek Jeter's autograph?....and Mark Teixiera's head on a f***ing stick?!

You've never heard of sports fans using the words "we" or "our" when talking about that team? I don't know anyone that doesn't. It's always "I can't believe we lost to...." or "OMG did you see how many runs we scored?" or "WE WON THE WORLD SERIES!"....you get the drift. I've always talked about my favorite sports teams as if I was on them. I'm a fan, I'm a part of the organization even if I don't put on a uniform or sign a check. That's how fandom goes. I can't imagine being so cut-off from the teams I root for that I can't be a part of that experience.

I think anybody who is a fan of the Yankees, Steelers, Cowboys, Lakers, or Red Wings and doesn't live in the same state as the team, is a bandwagon fan. Just my opinion and I'm not attacking anybody here, but from the majority of what I've seen, it's true. Unless their state doesn't have a pro team in that sport.

I think anybody who is a fan of the Yankees, Steelers, Cowboys, Lakers, or Red Wings and doesn't live in the same state as the team, is a bandwagon fan.

No offense, but that is so, so wrong. You have no idea how, when or why I became a fan, the same as you don't know why all those other people became fans. A bandwagon fan is a fan who is only a fan of the team when they are winning. I've been a Yankees fan for going on 16 years and a Red Wings fan going on 20. They weren't winning squat when I started following them and the Yankees haven't won the World Series in 9 years. If I was a bandwagon fan of either team, I wouldn't be a fan of them now.

I take such great offense when people say stuff like that to me.

I take such great offense when people say stuff like that to me.

I wasn't meaning you, I don't know you that well and I'm sorry if I offended you. I've known people who are Red Wings fans that weren't before Yzerman & Lidström picked up and the same goes for a lot of other teams. They hop around with their favorite teams based on their winning seasons.

It's alright. I just get super-defensive when people say stuff like that and I think they're including me in it. I'm not the kind of person to do something just because it's cool. Sure in the 90s (late 90s anyway, I was a fan pre-strike) it was easy to be a Yankees fan, we were winning everything but there's been some lean years too and one thing I'm grateful for IS the fact we haven't won in a while - it's cleaned most of our bandwangoners from the dynasty era out.

You've never heard of sports fans using the words "we" or "our" when talking about that team?

I know. I was just having a little fun with you. I do that to everybody who says "We". I know a dude who calls his team "I"...goofy, but it sounds pretty funny. Something like, "I'm 7 and 5, but I would have been in the playoffs already if I didn't miss that damn field goal at the buzzer last week."

As for Mindcrime, the bandwagon theory doesn't always fit. I'm a Red Sox fan from Pennsylvania...have been since I was four years old. My grandfather and uncle were Sox fans because the Red Sox used to have a minor league team in Scranton (about ten miles away), and guys like Williams and Yaz came through the system. So, they were big fans, and that's how I became a big fan.

The truth is, it's a family thing with most fans.

As for the Dolphins, I was 5 or 6 when I first saw them in the Super Bowl. I liked the uniform colors. They haven't won the Super Bowl since.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :thumbsup:

Sammy, I was 14 in 1960 when the Eagles won their only Championship against the Packers. Great game on a frigid day at Franklin Field. Norm Van Brocklin, Tommy McDonald, Pete Retzlaff, Timmy Brown. Tom Brookshire and "Concrete Charlie" Chuck Bednarik...what a team. I've waited all these years for a Super Bowl victory. Two trips to the SB but no wins.

Treasure that last Dolphins win. You never know when it will happen again.

Uhh, let's go Phillies!!