Kurt Cobain: Your Newest Guitar Hero Character

Viaene

According to Rolling Stone, Activision announced today that Kurt Cobain will be a playable character in the upcoming Guitar Hero 5 video game.

The latest installment of the video game franchise will also feature two Nirvana tracks, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and a 1992 live version of "Lithium". The licensing deal to have Nirvana songs in a video game has been worked on for the past few years and has finally been constructed.

"‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ is a song that we’ve had at the top of our wish list ever since I came to Guitar Hero," said Tim Riley, Activision's Vice President of Music Affairs. "So it's been a while."

One of the major concerns about the licensing was featuring Cobain in the video game as an actual character. Courtney Love had a major say in the artist being incorporated and wanted to make sure the singer looked like himself.

"Courtney supplied us with photos and videos and knew exactly what she wanted Kurt to look like," said Riley. "She picked the wardrobe and hair style, which turned out to be the ‘Teen Spirit’ look, then we went back and forth over changes — some subtle, some not so subtle."

Guitar Hero 5 is slated for a September 1st release and will feature other playable characters such as Johnny Cash, Jimi Hendrix, Matt Bellamy (Muse) and Shirley Manson (Garbage).

----------------------------------------------------------

Be sure to read the comments below the article.

I posted this because I wanted to know what you think about Guitar Hero's urge to sell everything related to rock icons.