I'd like to hear....

Uncle Joe

Listening to CSN's Blackbird (Beatles) as performed at Woodstock made me think of a cover version of a song I'd like to hear.

I'd like to hear Joni Mitchell and James Taylor do a version of Blackbird. I like the way their voices blend on other duets they've recorded. I think they'd do a nice job on this one.

How about you? Any covers you'd like to see/hear performed?

NOTE: Forgive me if this topic's already been covered. I suspect it has but I've not been able to find it.

I always wanted to hear Otis Redding' s version of "To Love Somebody". I know, Otis died before the song existed...

...but here' s what I found on wikipedia, which I really didn' t know:

...As stated many times by Barry Gibb, their manager Robert Stigwood wanted Barry to write a soul song for Otis Redding for him to record. Barry, along with Robin came up with "To Love Somebody", a soulful ballad in the style of Sam & Dave or The Rascals. Redding died in a plane crash before he could record the song. The Bee Gees decided to record their own version of the song with Barry taking the lead and the result was a pop standard.

Obviously Damon's suggestion, Oasis will never stand for their name being second on any bill and so the battle recommences *sigh*

Because of their relative characters, I can actually imagine Blur doing a whole set of Oasis covers (for a mischievous laff, perhaps)- and it might even be quite a worthwhile exercise- whilst I can't imagine Oasis deigning to touch a Blur song, for all the tea in China.

The way the battle of Britpop worked was: (some members of) Blur behaved slightly condescendingly towards Oasis, a hint of gentle mockery, perhaps (who designed those "Quoasis" T-shirts anyway?) but were perhaps also the more conciliatory of the two parties when tensions were heightened. Oasis, on the other hand, regarded Blur with total and overt contempt. Can't ever see the Gallaghers stooping so low as to play Blur songs. How would they sleep at nights?

Realleh? I'd reckon the opposite. Or at least an equal level of unlikelihood for both parties, with Oasis being more likely to cover a Blur song (even if just for laughs - hey, they did 'Shitelife' didn't they?). I pick Noel, rather than the whole shebang (aka Oasis), because Liam would just mess things up. He f*cks up his OWN band's songs (MTV Unplugged rehearsals, numerous live performances when he's in a bitchy mood), what would he be like with his (perceived) archenemies'? I could, at a stretch, see Noel pulling off a Blur song either because a) he acknowleges they aren't terrible - and would probably do Coffee and TV since there's no Albarn singing, or B) just to prove he is > Blur and be all 'look how awesome I made it' - everyone knows that songs are automatically seen as much more awesome once they are made acoustic.

Another reason I didn't pick Liam or Oasis as a whole is because I can't think of any Blur songs that fit his voice.

I think/hope by now both parties have put aside their childish rivalries and acknowledged, at least, that the other band is not absolute trash. I still don't think Blur would do any Oasis songs perhaps not because of a lack of recognizing the quality of their music but because they wish to put away any and all traces of the "battle of Brit-pop".

I agree with Levis though, I could see Noel doing some acoustic version of a couple of their songs.

Interestingly though, Damon has recently said he would love to have Liam on a Gorillaz record, so I'm guessing perhaps the friction exists, at least now, mostly between him and Noel.

Liam + Gorillaz sounds awesome. I kinda doubt he'll do it, he's definitely the more childish one, but one can hope right?

I must admit I wouldn't be too interested in Noel doing acoustic covers of Blur though... nothing to do with Blur really, I'm just not too much into covers, and certainly not acoustic ones (there are exceptions).

Okay, so you alldisagree with me on the Blur / Oasis covering each other probability. As if I care.

I suppose I can just about see Noel covering a Blur tune, for his own perverse motivations- and doing it quite well. Can't say I relish the thought, although it might be a pleasant surprise, at least; and one thing Oasis seldom do is surprise in their choice of covers. Beatles, The Who, The Jam :sleepy: All great bands and all that, but why cover your own heritage? Betrays a lack of imagination. I'd like to see Oasis cover...a Human League song, a Black Sabbath song, a Sonic Youth song, etc., etc.

I agree that most cover versions are boring if they're done by a band that sound similar to the original one...

the best ones are those that go a whole new direction... a folk cover of an electronic song, an a cappella version of an alternative rock song, a punk version of a musical song or of a shanty

stuff like that :D

Okay, so you alldisagree with me on the Blur / Oasis covering each other probability. As if I care.

I suppose I can just about see Noel covering a Blur tune, for his own perverse motivations- and doing it quite well. Can't say I relish the thought, although it might be a pleasant surprise, at least; and one thing Oasis seldom do is surprise in their choice of covers. Beatles, The Who, The Jam :sleepy: All great bands and all that, but why cover your own heritage? Betrays a lack of imagination. I'd like to see Oasis cover...a Human League song, a Black Sabbath song, a Sonic Youth song, etc., etc.

I wouldn't, really - I don't think they're capable of it. I love them to bits, but they're versatile enough... at all... for that.

As for why cover your own heritage - because it's BLUR!!! ... Speaking of which, I wouldn't mind a Suede/Blur song swap either. I just need to think of which ones.

Now - incongruous covers. Flying Saucer Attack already have a shoegaze version of Suede's the Drowners. It's interesting because of the sharp/dull contrast. I wouldn't mind the reverse e.g. Early Suede covering, say - When The Sun Hits?

Oh wow... that's fantastic! I can just imagine Brett Anderson with that song - bringing the lyrics to the front of the music and making them all sad and tortured with that yelp of his. 'Sweet thing, I watch you... burn so fast it scares me - it matters where you are' WHERE ARE HIS PR PEOPLE THIS IS GENIUS!!!