Best Drug Songs

furlong19

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This one is late 60's or maybe 1970 but it's really cool.......Just Dropped In by Kenny Rogers and The First Edition

JUST DROPPED IN (To see what condition my condition was in)

written by Mickey Newbury

(yeah, yeah, oh-yeah, what condition my condition was in)

I woke up this mornin? with the sundown shinin? in

I found my mind in a brown paper bag within

I tripped on a cloud and fell-a eight miles high

I tore my mind on a jagged sky

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in

I pushed my soul in a deep dark hole and then I followed it in

I watched myself crawlin? out as I was a-crawlin? in

I got up so tight I couldn?t unwind

I saw so much I broke my mind

Someone painted april fool in big black letters on a dead end sign

I had my foot on the gas as I left the road and blew out my mind

Eight miles outta memphis and I got no spare

Eight miles straight up downtown somewhere

I said I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in

Yeah yeah oh-yeah

Along Comes Mary...yeah, The Association..no matter what they say. YOU decide...

(lyrics)

Every time I think that I'm the only one who's lonely

Someone calls on me

And every now and then I spend my time in rhyme and verse

And curse those faults in me

And then along comes Mary

And does she want to give me kicks , and be my steady chick

And give me pick of memories

Or maybe rather gather tales of all the fails and tribulations

No one ever sees

When we met I was sure out to lunch

Now my empty cup tastes as sweet as the punch

When vague desire is the fire in the eyes of chicks

Whose sickness is the games they play

And when the masquerade is played and neighbor folks make jokes

As who is most to blame today

And does she want to set them free, and let them see reality

From where she got her name

And will they struggle much when told that such a tender touch as hers

Will make them not the same

And when the morning of the warning's passed, the gassed

And flaccid kids are flung across the stars

The psychodramas and the traumas gone

The songs are left unsung and hung upon the scars

And does she want to see the stains, the dead remains of all the pains

She left the night before

Or will their waking eyes reflect the lies, and make them

Realize their urgent cry for sight no more

No, that song is not about the Virfgin Mary as some would have you believe.

Here are a few more:

Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds...no matter what they say.

8 Miles High...no matter what they say.

Puff The Magic Dragon...no matter what they say.

Whoever said The Pusher by Steppenwolf, it's a protest against slinging drugs, not a praise for using them.

I know, MindCrime, it´s just that I thought it was songs about drugs... Well, maybe you´re right or we should include Stevie Wonder´s "Don´t drive drunk" then...

I just got some new mix cds from my cousin(he's a dj- mixes great cd's- no playlist with them at all!)

Amphetamine Annie (Speed Kills) ~ Canned Heat

Considering MO has the doubtful distinction of being the crystal meth capital of the US, This would be appropriate coming from me. ::

Considering MO has the doubtful distinction of being the crystal meth capital of the US, This would be appropriate coming from me. ::

This is true, when I last visited the Ozark region on the Mo-Ark border, it was filled with personal home meth labs & users lined up all over the place, many police busts have taken place in this area, I'm actually a little surprised it was #1 in the nation.

They are constantly going on. Out in the sticks it's big(big big) business. But there are labs in the burbs right here where I live. In the town I live in there have been 2 houses that blew up from meth labs just in the last year. One had kids in it. It's disgusting. I think we took over the #1 spot from Ca about 5 years ago. Aren't we lucky?! :(

I understand that drug is an essential part of our rock background. Most of us grew with it, lived the summer of love or had older brothers who did, we were curious, etc. I remember when I was a teen, if you didn´t smoke pot you were a straight, or a square. Then came heroin, well, if the rolling stones and Lou Reed are junkies and write hymns about it, it must be good... or not? So let´s try... and Lou Reed did "Heroin" on stage with a nurse fixing him (this was in Madrid 25 years ago or more, I saw it) And Mick sang "you gotta mix it, yeah, and you gotta fix it, it must be loved, it´s a bitch"... I won´t continue with all the references to drugs we can find in rock lyrics (or suicide). Personally, I´ve tasted everything and I never been hooked on anything, but I also lost many friends because of heroin or AIDS. I´m not saying that our music heroes are responsable for making that propaganda, because they also were part of those decades, that was the big thing by then. So I´m very confused about drugs, they´ve been a very important part of my life as well as for my generation. I just wonder if we can really talk of "Best Drugs Songs" without thinking of this price many had to pay.

Funny, nobody mentioned "Heroin" by Lou Reed. I know, it´s not a good song, it´s stupid and aging bad... but it left many sad traces.

Oh, I´m not against drug... it´s just that I was going to roll me a joint and I ran out of paper...

I understand that drug is an essential part of our rock background.Most of us grew with it, lived the summer of love or had older brothers who did, we were curious, etc. I remember when I was a teen, if you didn´t smoke pot you were a straight, or a square.

I´m not saying that our music heroes are responsable for making that propaganda, because they also were part of those decades, that was the big thing by then. So I´m very confused about drugs, they´ve been a very important part of my life as well as for my generation.

I don?t concern or judge the details that background the significance of talented musicians? material (such as Jimi Hendrix). Much of their focus & productivity reflects their narcotic effect & it symbolizes their altered state of philosophy. Many times, it?s hard to embrace the accurate writing form under a more sober pretense & therefore using drugs creates imaginative writing with such simplicity. Is this an issue to be concerned with? Yes. Many teenagers will see their remote peers behavior as something that?s trendy & try to relate with their own unintentional decision-making. Icon poster boys aren?t always the ones to completely hold responsible, most problems that teens deal with, come from friends & are passed around on the street, rather then inherited through song. The music listener needs to beware, it?s important to understand what?s right & what?s sold as irresponsible commercial. This is just a leisured prospect that the kids identify with, & obviously, such as in my case, carries on with them for a lifetime.

Oh, I´m not against drug... it´s just that I was going to roll me a joint and I ran out of paper...

You crack me up Edna :laughing:

An absolutely awesome song. Finally someone who's heard of Morphine! ;)

I love morphine - the band not the drug, and heroin - the song by velvet underground- not the drug.

other drug songs I love - just about anything by Lou Reed, the Twilight Zone _ by Golden Earring;

Snow Blind Friend - already mentioned by someone as a Manfred Mann song but I remember the Steppenwolf version- and the song was written by Hoyt Axton - an awesome song!

and my new favorite

The Nurse Who Loves Me _ By A Perfect Circle

Say hello to the rug's topography

It holds quite a lot of interest with your face down on it

Say hello to the shrinking in your head

You can't see it but you know its there so don't neglect it

I'm taking her home with me all dressed in white

She's got everything I need pharmacy keys

She's falling hard for me I can see it in her eyes

She acts just like a nurse with all the other guys

Say hello to all the apples on the ground

They were once in your eyes but you sneezed them out while sleeping

Say hello to everything you've left behind

It's even more a part of your life now that you can't touch it

I'm taking her home with me all dressed in white

She's got everything I need some pills in a little cup

She's falling hard for me I can see it in her eyes

She acts just like a nurse with all the other guys

Say hello to the rugs topography...

:stars:

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like nobody mentioned Dylan's "Rainy Day Women #12 and #35" with its "Everybody must get stoned" chorus.

Hi, EldL, I think I posted it some posts before... but honestly, though it´s THE drug song, don´t you think it´s silly stoned song? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana:

Edna Bob Dylans Rainy Day Women #12 and #35 is kind of silly but I still sing my heart out to it. Eric Claptons Cocaine is a song that has been played to death, although it's anti cocaine. Has anyone mentioed Life In The Fast Lane by the Eagles? That one gives a very accurate depiction of what life in that "fast lane" really entails.