Man offers Bill & Hilary farm stock for Chelsea's hand in marriage

MindCrime

Chelsea Wedding Proposal: Those 40 Goats and 20 Cows for Hillary and Bill Are Still on Offer

Hillary Clinton promised a Kenyan man to pass along his ''very kind offer'' of 40 goats and 20 cows for her daughter Chelsea Clinton's hand in marriage.

Godwin Kipkemoi Chepkurgor, a man of modest means, originally made the offer in a letter to Bill Clinton when all three Clintons traveled to Africa in 2000. He has not given up hope, telling CNN, "I've waited for a long time. I'm still waiting to meet her and express my love for her."

But Chepkurgor may be running out of time, as rumors abound that Chelsea, 29, is marrying her boyfriend Marc Mezvinsky at the end of August on Martha's Vineyard. Hillary Clinton has repeatedly denied rumors that her daughter plans to get married this summer.

At a town hall in Kenya on Thursday, CNN's Fareed Zakaria said to the secretary of state, "A Kenyan city councilman said he offered Bill Clinton 40 goats and 20 cows for his daughter's hand in marriage five years ago; he is still awaiting an answer. I thought on this occasion, if you think in the current global economic climate . . . it's not a bad offer?"

"Well my daughter is her own person. She is very independent, so I will convey this very kind offer," responded a smiling Clinton, drawing applause from the audience.

However, Hillary might want to reconsider the matter, as Chelsea would actually be Chepkurgor's second wife. While he waited for an answer from his true love, Chepkurgor married another woman in 2006. "My wife has no problem with this," he insists. "She listened to the answers given by Hillary and did not complain."

Polygamy is legal in Kenya, but Chepkurgor asked the CNN reporter, "Is that allowed in your side of the world?"

While I know that Chepkurgor's long, unrequited love for Chelsea cannot be easily replaced -- current wife excepted -- if he's willing to marry another single American girl, he could consider me.

I'm not sure, though, what my Dad would do with 40 goats and 20 cows in his backyard in Baltimore.

AOLnews 8/8/9