Top Tens by Decade - The 2000s

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was programmed so weird in my brain that I can love the 60's and now with equal passion? Apparently that's not allowed...

I do too, I also can go from listening to a country song to a metal song to a jazz song to easy listening, one right after another.

[smaller]I didn't say I enjoyed it, but I can listen.[/smaller] :P

I think this is a solid ten.

Like Lizard, I too am one of the "freaks", as Levis gently put it, :P that enjoys, on a generally equal basis, music from decades well before my time right through till now. I have favourites from '51 (and before since I like big band, jazz and swing) to '09 and don't see a thing wrong with it. Not to say I like everything, not by a long shot, but I try to be closed-minded to nothing.

However if I have a complaint with this decade it is not the lack of great music but more the lack of proper exposure for the great artists and their work. This decade has as much musical depth, variety and quality as past ones but, as Levis pointed out, nowhere near the kind of mainstream support, so much of this music remains unheard and unacknowledged by many people.

For most people though, I believe, there is a time in life when they are most receptive to and available for music and the music they're exposed to seems to stick with them, become theirs and ultimately the standard that they measure everything else against, old and new. Obviously everyone has certain styles they prefer, lyrical themes relevant to them and so on that make up their unique taste.

That's not say people can't enjoy music that is not of their time, only it probably won't have the same impact, hold the same meaning or be considered by them to be as great as the music that is. To each their own opinion.

I'm 27, so I don't consider myself an old fogey at all, even though I prefer to listen to music made before my time.

My musical soul has always lied in the music from the 60s and 70s. It's the music I grew up listening to, the music I cut my teeth on. That doesn't mean I hate all music from my own generation (80s-now). There's quite a bit of music that has come out in my 27 years of life that I really, really like. There's also a lot of music that's come out in the 27 years that I really, really hate. Very rarely since I've been a member here have I been 100% displeased with a TT. Sure there have been some where a few of the songs weren't my cup of tea or even songs I didn't know, but those are the exception, not the rule.

I like a few of the songs that people voted to make this TT, and were pleased to see some that I voted for myself. My comment was more to the affect of, there's a lot more great music out there that isn't that known here in the States that I think is good, like Goldfrapp and Roisin Murphy. Coldplay is obviously known everywhere, but I was shocked that Clocks at least didn't get nominated.

There really was no need to sound as though people were putting the 2000s down, because I don't think anyone was doing that.

I think this is a solid ten.

Like Lizard, I too am one of the "freaks", as Levis gently put it, :P that enjoys, on a generally equal basis, music from decades well before my time right through till now. I have favourites from '51 (and before since I like big band, jazz and swing) to '09 and don't see a thing wrong with it. Not to say I like everything, not by a long shot, but I try to be closed-minded to nothing.

However if I have a complaint with this decade it is not the lack of great music but more the lack of proper exposure for the great artists and their work. This decade has as much musical depth, variety and quality as past ones but, as Levis pointed out, nowhere near the kind of mainstream support, so much of this music remains unheard and unacknowledged by many people.

For most people though, I believe, there is a time in life when they are most receptive to and available for music and the music they're exposed to seems to stick with them, become theirs and ultimately the standard that they measure everything else against, old and new. Obviously everyone has certain styles they prefer, lyrical themes relevant to them and so on that make up their unique taste.

That's not say people can't enjoy music that is not of their time, only it probably won't have the same impact, hold the same meaning or be considered by them to be as great as the music that is. To each their own opinion.

:bow:

Point is - I don't go on and on about how much I don't like the 60s - well because I don't mind them. We are mere acquaintances and happy that way thank you, and I don't really feel the need to bitch about the 60s to their friends, because I don't know enough about them and also that wouldn't be very nice of me. If you like the 60s and 00s - cool, you're way more open minded than I - but that's not really relevant to what I'm on about.

Because I love the 90s (and 80s and 00s but we'll go with 90s for the purpose of this analogy) and I live in them. They are not my acquaintances, they are my love and life and for me and it is very very very unfair to keep having people talk of the 60s/70s as the best decades ever (not as 'I think...' but 'they are...').

As for this:

Hm, I shouldn't expect you to read my mind. Current popular music is mostly rubbish, but since you are used to popular music being non-rubbish you think current music in general is (comparatively) rubbish and there I'd say you're not wrong (though some stuff is SO rubbish, it's gold!). Also of course there are young fogeys minds who need to be expanded, I'm the leader of the pack and THAT'S WHY I DON'T DIS THE 60s!!!

tl;dr - it is not advisable to make blanket statements about entire decades without sufficient information to support said statements.

Righty-o, now that I've got that out of my system (I hate that discussion but it just keeps coming up and I just can't shut up :doh:) - Blue Angel, if you could PT me and/or Farin a list of fifty favourites that would be fab.

(just for alliterative amusement, if I could rephrase that: if you could forward fifty favourites to Farin that would be fab :thumbsup: :grin:)

Point is - I don't go on and on about how much I don't like the 60s - well because I don't mind them. We are mere acquaintances and happy that way thank you, and I don't really feel the need to bitch about the 60s to their friends, because I don't know enough about them and also that wouldn't be very nice of me. If you like the 60s and 00s - cool, you're way more open minded than I - but that's not really relevant to what I'm on about.

Because I love the 90s (and 80s and 00s but we'll go with 90s for the purpose of this analogy) and I live in them. They are not my acquaintances, they are my love and life and for me and it is very very very unfair to keep having people talk of the 60s/70s as the best decades ever (not as 'I think...' but 'they are...').

+1 :thumbsup:

Sorry .... I got sidetracked :shades: . I like this list! I for one don't think the 00's suck, I think you can look anywhere and find great music. Thanks to whomever nominated the Fleet Foxes (is that name correct?) because I loved that song! Anyway, great list, I look forward to the PTT's. ;)

I completely disagree with the number one (for some reason I can't stand that song). The other songs I can live with :P

This decade doesn't suck, in fact this is probably the richest decade so far. I mean, all genres of the 50's up to the 90's are still alive today, plus new sounds are invented daily. So probably the 2010s will be even richer! The 2000s would seem 'worse' because there's much more less known music then a few superbands like 40 years ago. The 00s are a challage, you have to do much more effort to find the good music you like.

Edited by Guest

I think the biggest reason, we don't hear a lot of this new music is lack of radio airplay. I'm sure there are many artists and songs that I would like, but I never hear them. I don't care what era music comes from. I listen to Gershwin's 1924 Rhapsody In Blue or drive home from work listening to some nasty blues from Howling Wolf. Music to me is just Rhythm and feeling. I've never been stuck in the Sixties. I was stuck on an elevator once, though. :)