Top Tens by Decade - The 2000s

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The list is alright. The problem is to be honest, music this decade isn't as good as decades past.

if you're a fan of 60s music, sure... just like a fan of Johann Sebastian Bach would say that the whole last century doesn't have any good music

...seems like we can slide into the old discussion theme at any moment :laughing: :laughing:

No, that' s fine. I guess I also thought my mother was wrong when she said The Beatles were singing out of tune and their "Taste Of Honey" was way worse than the original one (don' t remember the ones she liked... ) (in fact, she was right, I never liked their taste of honey...)

It's just that I'm an old vicious woman and I have to get used a bit to the new tunes... :grin: :old lady with cane:

It's good because:

1. I was on vacation.

2. I knew 2 of the 40 songs nominated. In the true spirit of the TT's, I could/should take the time to sit back and listen to the 38 songs I never heard of before...but in reality, I don't have the time to do that...or the desire.

3. I generally dislike newer music for many personal taste reasons and I don't think I would make a fair assessment of the music. I go in already prejudiced and that isn't fair to the people that really love this music. Maybe we should all have equal opinions, but mine would do a disservice to the overall TT.

It's a meh list for me too, BECAUSE (several) PEOPLE DON'T LISTEN TO NEW MUSIC HERE!!!

The best bands weren't even nominated and if they were they wouldn't have got any votes. this list is only boring because it's just so SAFE!!! I'm not an Animal Collective fan but they're one of the MOST representative 00s bands. What about post-rock? what about newgaze? - ok i had that covered, but the point is, if all you're listening to is radio and tv and not doing any independent research it's no wonder you think this decade sucks. Good music isn't spoonfed anymore, the stuff you love from the 60s and 70s was mainsteam, it was pop. Popular music is mostly rubbish. If you can't make the effort to go out there and look for it you don't deserve to hear it. That applies to me too, by the way, I'm trying not to be (too) self-righteous.

But HONESTLY get over your nostalgia, y'old fogies.

It's a meh list for me too, BECAUSE (several) PEOPLE DON'T LISTEN TO NEW MUSIC HERE!!!

The best bands weren't even nominated and if they were they wouldn't have got any votes. this list is only boring because it's just so SAFE!!! I'm not an Animal Collective fan but they're one of the MOST representative 00s bands. What about post-rock? what about newgaze? - ok i had that covered, but the point is, if all you're listening to is radio and tv and not doing any independent research it's no wonder you think this decade sucks. Good music isn't spoonfed anymore, the stuff you love from the 60s and 70s was mainsteam, it was pop. Popular music is mostly rubbish. If you can't make the effort to go out there and look for it you don't deserve to hear it. That applies to me too, by the way, I'm trying not to be (too) self-righteous.

But HONESTLY get over your nostalgia, y'old fogies.

Radhi, I told you you shouldn't drink those things before you post... :shades: You sound almost rude, you know...

Some of us did... me, for instance. I listen to youtube links everyday, I listen to the spotify stuff that I get from my indie radio dj friends, I listen to the myspaces of most of the bands that still send me their links, not to talk about the music I get via Facebook messages or even some FB.

And yes, good songs, but nothing new under the sun... it' s good, it' s listenable, it' s fine, it' s a lot of things... but it' s not exciting...

Not to YOU, please please please could you accept that some of us kinda really LIKE this decade? I don't mock your 60s and 70s despite the fact that I find them a complete snooze. Always it's stated as a fact 'the 60s and 70s were better' - this is only true to you. I like the 90s, 80s and 00s more - in that order - so your fact is thus NOT A FACT because I just disproved it.

Good music isn't spoonfed anymore, the stuff you love from the 60s and 70s was mainsteam, it was pop. Popular music is mostly rubbish

Edit: Deleted the repsonse-to-rant that was here. it doesn't matter. Let's just say I strongly disagree, and believe that as much as you feel us old fogey's minds are closed, I believe that there are a few young-fogey's minds that could be expanded as well.

It is what it is, and considering that there are as many young as old that voted for this list, if the list ended up meh ... well then meh. :P

Edited by Guest

I like it... could be better, yeah, but these decade tens have all been pretty mainstream. It's the average of everyone's tastes, after all.

The list is alright. The problem is to be honest, music this decade isn't as good as decades past.

There's quite a few artists who should have made the list; Goldfrapp, Roisin Murphy, Coldplay....some of the best music this decade has come out of England.

The best music has always come out of England :cool:

random anecdote:

our English teacher once wanted to show us how bad the English cuisine really is, and so she got a bag of vinegar flavoured chips crisps (which is very unknown here), from her last travel...

she was really surprised when we were all "hey, these are pretty good :popcorn: "

:D

I like the Top Ten!

As someone who is approaching middle age (OK, already there...you made me say it!) I do listen to everything nominated that I'm not familiar with, no matter what the decade. I can say that although I do like a lot of the newer stuff that's nominated, there is a lot I don't. I don't blame the decade at all. I have a job, a child and a house, therefore, I have chores. I don't have the time to do a lot of the research needed, like I did in my younger days. Also, music of this generation speaks to this generation, so we older folks sometimes can't relate. But just as I can't relate to Animal Collective, I can't relate to Woodstock, either.

That's why I'm glad I'm here. I can listen to recommendations from people who have knowledge of different eras and genres.