AC/DC's Brian Johnson considers retirement

Farin

The lead singer of the Aussie rock legends has said he will stay until the end of their Black Ice tour, which extends into 2011

[smaller]Sean Michaels | guardian.co.uk | Friday 31 July 2009 | Link[/smaller]

Fresh from an appearance on Top Gear, AC/DC's Brian Johnson has announced plans to retire. But don't worry – it won't be for a little while.

Though, at 61, Johnson thinks he's just about old enough to quit, the rest of the band persuaded him to stay on for more than a year of bookings. "We were talking about the end of the tour and I said, 'We're finishing in May – and that's me done!'" Johnson recently told Classic Rock magazine. "But [rhythm guitarist] Malcolm [Young] said, 'What are you talkin' about? We're not gonna let you retire!'

Johnson agreed that he would stay on for the rest of AC/DC's Black Ice tour dates and festival bookings, which extend into 2011. The band have just started a 27-date US stadium tour.

At 61, Johnson has been singing with AC/DC for almost three decades, joining after original lead singer Bon Scott died in 1980. "I don't want for people to see me on stage and say, 'Oh, poor old fucker, the band's carrying him!'" Johnson said.

"I try to keep myself fit, and I love it being in this band, but the other lads are in their early fifties. I'm the old dog in the regiment."