Explain To Me Why This Woman Should Not Be Put To Death

No need not attempt to read between the lines of my post, Tim.

That's Fintan, I'm Tim. :P However, I agree that while there is a time and a place for such discussions (a discussion we already had recently, in fact), this is not it.

Anywho, as for the death penalty saving the taxpayers money, all the research proves otherwise, what with the appeals process and death row, the average death penalty case costs the state substantially more than the average life sentence.

FATHER: MOTHER OF MY DEAD BABY SHOULD BE EXECUTED

ASSOCIATED PRESS

SAN ANTONIO -- The father of a newborn baby who authorities say was mutilated, killed and cannibalized by his mother said Tuesday he wants to see her executed.

Scott W. Buchholz told The Associated Press that Otty Sanchez, the mother of 3½-week-old Scotty Wesley Buchholz-Sanchez, seemed fine in the days before the killing, even though they argued. However, he said she told him she had been diagnosed with postpartum depression and was going to be admitted to a hospital for treatment.

Sanchez's relatives told The San Antonio Express News that she had been diagnosed with postpartum psychosis, which can cause delusional thoughts and hallucinations.

Sanchez, 33, is charged with capital murder in the baby's death and could face the death penalty. When authorities found the infant's body Sunday, Sanchez told officers the devil made her do it, police said.

"She killed my son. She should burn in hell," Buchholz said.

Otty Sanchez's aunt, Gloria Sanchez, told The Associated Press that her niece had been "in and out" of a psychiatric ward, and that the hospital called several months ago to check up on her.

Sanchez was hospitalized Tuesday with self-inflicted stab wounds and was being held on $1 million bail. Police have said she does not have an attorney. Authorities found the baby with three of his toes chewed off, his face torn away and his head was severed.

Otty Sanchez's sister and her sister's two children, ages 5 and 7, were in the house at the time, but none were harmed.

Sanchez and Buchholz lived together during the pregnancy and the first two weeks after their son was born, he said. An infection complicated Sanchez's recovery from giving birth, and she was required to use a catheter for about a week. That setback darkened her mood, and she was soon diagnosed with postpartum depression.

She moved out of the couple's shared home July 20. On Saturday, she showed up to see Buchholz at his parents' house. She became agitated when he told her he needed a copy of the baby's birth certificate and Social Security card, Buchholz said.

Sanchez ran out of the home with her son in a car seat, threw the car seat into the front passenger seat of her car and sped away without buckling him in, the San Antonio Express-News reported. She left behind a diaper bag, her purse and her medication.

Buchholz's mother called 911, and a sheriff's deputy investigated the incident as a disturbance, according to court records. The next day, authorities said, she killed her son.

Officers called to Sanchez's house at about 5 a.m. Sunday found her sitting on the couch screaming "I killed my baby! I killed my baby!" San Antonio Police Chief William McManus said.

McManus described the crime scene as so grisly that police officers barely spoke to each other while looking through the house.

Either that or elect them to high office . :laughing: ;)

Good one :laughing: I don't know if you still follow Canadian politics at all, but I got the trashiest attack ad through the mail slot today. The conservatives have been working hard on passing off Ignatieff as un-patriotic because he lived abroad. It's been getting really petty recently, I don't know what we would do without Rick Mercer.

There is a death sentence in India, but it takes about two decades to come through, by which time the poor person is so sick of waiting, death is probably a reprieve. Most recently a businessman and his servant were sentenced to death for raping and murdering a dozen or so children and burying them in their backyard. This was in Noida, right next to my lovely city. When it will happen, I don't know.

However, infanticide is pretty common, though illegal. Abortion is legal, though (1.3 billion people, you know) but sonograms aren't because the law forbids you from finding out the sex of the child before it is born. Why? because of the scarily widespread stigma against girls and being parents to one. Parents may abort a foetus because it is female. Once it's born, though, it's at their mercy (and that's what makes up most of the infanticide cases). Of course it's illegal to kill a child, but they can't put everyone who does it to death or population control wouldn't be such an issue. Also - no one ever finds out.

Fariha might be able to back me up or correct any flaws in interpretation, I'd guess Bangladesh has similar problems. I get the feeling all this is a bit 'unheard of' in other parts of the world?

Thanks for posting the follow up article, Ron Jon. I was thinking that postpartum depression/psychosis would be brought up. If she does have it, once she's on meds, she will realize the severity of what she did and she will have to live with that guilt for however long her sentence is (as has been stated, death sentences are not immediate and prisoners can wait many years before execution). She may even want to die for what she did, in which case, the best punishment would be to have her live.

I cannot think of this possibility, Jenny... she is very sick. So many women who just had a baby deal with it every day and they don' t do such things.

I agree in so far as a lot of women seek the treatment they need for it because they recognize it or their loved ones do and they get help and then get better.

That said, there's a big difference between depression and psychosis. Postpartum psychosis can drive mothers to do things that no one with a sane and rational mind could even begin to think about.

There's a better chance of her being schizophrenic rather than suffering from PPD/PPP, I would think though, just based on what I've read and what I know of schizophrenia.

Edited by Guest

Schizophrenia is a type of psychosis, so someone with PPP could certainly experience schizophrenic symptoms. Infanticide is also a recognized symptom of PPP.

There seemed to be a lot of bloodlust in reaction to this. My first thought was just that the woman was completely batsh*t. It is very unfortunate that the baby was killed, but before we call for her execution (or punishment of any kind) it should be determined whether she was, in fact, suffering from postpartum psychosis.

Edited by Guest
regardless of what type of animal excreted it, we can't say "sh*t" out loud here.

What strikes me is that no one has gone on about the satanic cults that have been uncovered and involved in this and equally as bad things for 30+ years now along the border . I've heard periodic stories for years now - and not of the tabloid nature - but in real news . There was a famous Manson-like leader apprehended years ago for running one of these where they grabbed locals and travelers ( eventually a US one which lead to arrests ) and sacrificed them , but they ( the satanic cults ) were pretty ingrained and terrified locals to silence . This is real sh*t , and she could just as well as be involved in one as nuts -or both .

Agreed , but it makes sense to me that there are 'powerful' people involved with trafficking ( of all sorts ) along the border who likely go too far often . I'm not offering a defense for her , but think that maybe a wider investigation may turn up things .