Explain To Me Why This Woman Should Not Be Put To Death

Police: Woman accused of killing newborn ate brain

Associated Press/AP Online

By PAUL J. WEBER

SAN ANTONIO - San Antonio police say a woman accused of beheading her 3 1/2-week-old infant son used a knife and two swords in the attack and ate some of the child's body parts.

San Antonio Police Chief William McManus told reporters Monday that Otty Sanchez's attack on her son, Scott Wesley Buchholtz-Sanchez, was "too heinous" to fully discuss.

But he says Sanchez ate part of the newborn's brain and bit off three of his toes before stabbing herself twice.

Police say the 33-year-old Sanchez told officers who were called to her house early Sunday that she killed her son at the Devil's request.

Sanchez is charged with capital murder and is being held on $1 million bail. She is recovering from her wounds at a hospital.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

SAN ANTONIO (AP) - A Texas woman accused of decapitating her 3 1/2-week-old son has been charged with capital murder and is being held on $1 million bail.

Otty Sanchez has not appeared in court or been arraigned on the charges.

Police say officers were called to the 33-year-old Sanchez's home in San Antonio early Sunday and found her sitting on her couch screaming that she had killed her son at the devil's request. They found the mutilated body of Scott Wesley Buchholtz-Sanchez in a bedroom. Two other children were found unharmed in the home.

Investigators removed a sword, machete and knife from the home.

Sanchez was hospitalized with self-inflicted stab wounds to her chest and stomach. Investigators don't believe the wounds are life-threatening.

A service of YellowBrix, Inc. .

The woman is insane. I really don't care what they do with her kill her, lock her up. If they execute her (and I'm sure they will), she will not understand the why of it. It doesn't matter anymore, the baby is gone. I get can't past the horror and sadness of it.

You think this is the action of a sane woman? The mentally ill should not be executed and if this isn't the poster child for the mentally ill, I don't know who is.

She should be locked up for the rest of her life in an institution. That's where we put the insane.

Her saying the devil made her do it doesn't necessarily make her insane.

Some people are just void or anything resembling a conscious but that still doesn't make them crazy.

Susan Smith killed her children to and they didn't think she was crazy. I recently read on-line she is looking for a loving, caring pen pal. It really sounds like she is suffering for her crimes.

Here recently in one of our near by cities some woman threw two of her children off a bridge.

I personally don't think the manner of death should be an issue when declaring a baby killer sane or insane.

She butchered her baby. Put her to sleep and end her suffering crazy or not.

Executing her is letting her take the easy way out. How does that make her suffer for her crime? It doesn't. All it does is fulfill the blood lust of the people handing the sentence down. Some crimes deserve the death penalty, but only when the person is found not to be suffering from mental illness. There are three groups of people that should never be executed; the mentally ill, the mentally handicapped and minors.

Sane, rational, healthy people do not claim the devil made them do anything, especially decapitating their child. She needs a psych eval and a liftime supply of Thorazine on a constant drip. Spending the rest of her natural life in a white, padded cell on constant medication and not allowed outside is how you deal with the mentally ill.

Since I started this topic and spun the headline towards the death penalty, here is my opinion:

1. This woman will never be rehabilitated in any way, shape or form.

2. She will be nothing but a drain on society for the remainder of her life.

3. The tax money spent on her over her lifetime will be enough to have had a positive impact on people truly in need if not wasted on her.

I respect all of your opinions, but this happens to be mine.

To Pinkstones and Uncle Joe, each of your desires to censor my observation (which, if you reread what I wrote, is factually accurate, informative and details no implication of expressing anti- or pro- abortion opinion) is detrimental to welcoming general expression by all members in the forums and introduce your opinions about me into the topic.

We should all be allowed to post, shouldn't we?

Seriously folks, I live in Texas and I'm a bouncer in a mental hospital...This lady (and I use that term loosly) doesn't have a chance anywhere...even in a mental hospital someone will probably kill her (not everyone in there is crazy) I don't know anything about prison (or want too)but I think even most prisoners would be a little bit upset with this act and...If she's executed "who really cares?"...I won't miss her... a really bad disturbing story

Of course it does, reading between the lines.

No need not attempt to read between the lines of my post, Tim. One merely has to see the word "Ironically" to understand its core truth; that a 4 week time period makes all the difference in what is a crime and what is a right, in America.

I find it ironic. That is all.

No......it doesn't.

Roe v. Wade allows for abortions in the 1st trimester, which is NOT 4 weeks before delivery. Abortions in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters are only legal when the health of the mother is at risk and there's significant threat of the mother dying should she carry the fetus to term. To my knowledge, across the board abortions in the 2nd and 3rd trimester are not legal.

So there is no irony.

True, that was the original intent of Roe, but the fact is that, if of a mind, any American woman can find someplace to provide a legal abortion up until labor. This is reality.

Though it started as a legislative issue to alleviate the deaths of 200 women a year to back alley abortions, it has become a multi-billion dollar a year industry that eliminates as many females from the population annually, as it does mouthy males, like me.

Ironic, ain't it?

Since I started this topic and spun the headline towards the death penalty, here is my opinion:

1. This woman will never be rehabilitated in any way, shape or form.

2. She will be nothing but a drain on society for the remainder of her life.

3. The tax money spent on her over her lifetime will be enough to have had a positive impact on people truly in need if not wasted on her.

I respect all of your opinions, but this happens to be mine.

:thumbsup: Well put and my sentiments exactly.