Crocs On The Endangered Species List ?

Kevin

I've never had a pair so I can't say anything about them other than they visually stick out like a sore thumb often . They look cute ( and practical ) on little kids , but appear somewhat silly on adults , IMO.

The wife had to buy a pair as a cheap option , in an emergency , for a hike around Hawaii's volcano area a couple of years ago as she had foolishly only brought dress shoes and beach sandals. She said they were comfortable , but I note that she has never had them on since .

I don't know about that , but they were very popular with medical staff in Canada until they were banned a couple of years ago due to safety concerns . Syringes , etc. piercing the holes , I guess . The nurse's and their union were up in arms about it too . Don't know how it turned out , though - but it is a risky union to go up against , especially over small things .

Actually , scrubs are one of the few outfits that seem to go with Crocs. :D

Here's a 2007 article from the UK , where I guess they were banned in hospitals , too .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-479966/Comfy-Crocs-banned-hospitals-safety-fears.html;jsessionid=071F881081809BDECE1421082D0314EE

Edited by Guest

Maybe it didn't go through or stay in place then . Often, what the UK , Canada and Australia do are in sync . However , I can imagine Aussie nurses telling their bosses to ' get stuffed' if they don't like it and just ignoring a ban even , if they think it simple minded - and good on 'em. :D

They wouldn't have a lawsuit to claim if something happened to them , but I've met enough Aussie's to know that they would willingly take the risk and suffer the consequences with a laugh , if need be . Canadians are not quite so bold .

How the hell can the company be losing money?! Those things cost about 30 bucks to buy, and about 80 cents to make!

The article's details make it sound like the fledgling company's admin got expansion crazy after they hit big initially. Quickly used profits to acquire other, product-related companies without first qualifying the risks. Overproduced and then overstocked their own product. Felt invulnerable to (or at least did not anticipate) market turndown. All classic killers for new businesses.

Thanks, S-2, but that was really kind of a rhetorical question. It was pretty obvious that it was bad business sense. And I'm sure all the knock-offs that were popping up all over the place helped cause that overstock.

Personally, I wouldn't buy them for myself or for anybody else that I know. They look girly, but I have seen men wearing them (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Maybe if they started making hats...

:afro: :afro: :afro: :doh: :jester:

I thought they were crazy popular?

I've never worn them (and would not be seen dead in them...), but they look really practical for nurses and kids especially.

They remind me of a pair of, what we called, jelly shoes which were also made of rubbery plastic with holes in them. They were great because you could play on the beach without stepping on glass and then rinse your feet off easily with the holes draining the water, or rock climb safely without hurting your feet :)

I think that they look like gardening clogs, and wouldn't mind if they went away. People who have them seem to love them, though, but I don't understand how a plastic shoe would not make your foot hot and sticky, even with holes.

Because of the holes, they should not be allowed to be worn in hospitals or labs. There is a danger of puncture wounds, and also of contamination.