Need song ideas for my band to play?

Cordelia

On second thoughts, Cordelia: have ever heard the advice "Write about what you know"? There's nothing worse than hearing youngsters singing about love and relationships, when they really haven't any idea. Some subjects you might think of covering: an unrequited crush on a pop star, arguing with parents about what you're wearing to a party, the crushing despair of discovering one of your Bratz dolls is missing. Just some suggestions,for starters.

As for song ideas, I do think you should write about what you know - it's better to stay close to topics you can really expound on than try to talk about things you and your audience can't relate to. Good luck.

Edited by Guest
killing darlings.

Hello Cordelia and welcome to Songfacts....I think we need more info on your request...What type of music does your band play? Are you looking to write your own music and songs?...if so, then that has to be inspired by the writer and the members of your band...If you're looking for songs to cover, then just let us know what type of songs you are looking to play, and maybe we can help with some suggestions.

Also, what is wrong with 'Your Pants Will Be Ready on Friday'? The Frank and Walters could have worked with that. I'd give it a go if I could write better. I can already see a couple of glimmers of opportunity to insert some irony or social commentary. Dry cleaners could be turned into an analogy for social policy-makers... or something. (wo)Man up and rise to the challenge!

Do you not think anymore? it's instant stimulus-response, whine-apology... is there no sense of creativity left in the world? :(

'Your Pants Will Be Ready on Friday'?

Speaking of that, when I read it my kid had a friend here that has a band and is going to Hollywood soon to a music school there. He loved it and came up with all kinds of verses for it :D

Look out for Scotty. He just might rock your world one day :D

I go away for a few days and I seem to miss all the drama..! Songfacts is a fun place - roll with it :)

Cordelia - I think the advice BF gave was excellent - write about what you know best. Songs always work better when the person performing them has a connection to them. And, as it sounds like your band is quite new (?), it would help to keep things fresh as you work at finding your own groove.

Cover songs are good to, but make sure they suit the singers voice and talent level of the other members :)

Have fun! Being in a band is cool and fun and a good way to hang out with friends, meet new people and have a good time!

this morning, at the request of a couple of our members, I have taken out from this thread any posts that weren't germane to the topic, and edited at least one post that was partially germane.

I did what Stephen King does when he's editing a new novel: I killed the darlings. >:-}

apologies for anyone who feels their toes have been stepped on, however, let's keep this thing in line hence forth, shall we?

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...