Michael Jackson Memorial Service

Carl

It collapsed into schlock when a bunch of people we've never seen before took the stage for "We Are The World," but the Michael Jackson memorial service was a fitting tribute. Berry Gordy talked about Michael playing catcher on the Jackson softball team, Magic Johnson shared a story about splitting a bucket of KFC with MJ, and Usher seemed incredibly affected.

The Motown royalty performed with a passion we rarely see in public. Stevie Wonder and Lionel Richie were amazing. Smokey Robinson brought his usual class, telling the story about how Michael appropriated his song "Who's Loving You."

Brooke Shields was kind of a weird one. I think it was the 1984 Grammy Awards when she was Michael's date, but he blew her off and carried around Webster all night. She must have forgiven him, since she told some very moving stories about growing up with him.

I'm hoping this will bring some closure to the Michael Jackson story, since it was a very positive way to remember him - and it's time for the story to go away.

Those people singing We Are The World were the vocalists he was going to be touring with. The kids that came out were the children's choir that was also going to be touring with him.

So no, it didn't collapse into shlock at that point IMO, I thought it was rather fitting to have the musicians he would have been working with up there paying tribute.

I saw that on TV this morning, they' re showing it in many channels in Spain.

I agree with Carl, not cause he' s the boss here :angel: but cause that' s true, we never saw those people before. Yes, they were going to dance with him, but now they won't...

All his brothers and sisters and some nephews and even his daughter were there showing a very close family. I think it was a good memorial.

Reminded me of Lennons death in 81, but I don't remember that much of a tribute for him. MJ deserved this wonderful funeral, why does the city have to pay for it? He could have paid for it on just a single concert.

There were numerous tributes for Lennon, including the naming of a portion of Central Park "Strawberry Fields" in his memory.

Reminded me of Lennons death in 81, but I don't remember that much of a tribute for him. MJ deserved this wonderful funeral, why does the city have to pay for it? He could have paid for it on just a single concert.

LA shouldn't be paying for the service. California as a whole, and LA in particular are in economical circumstances that should remove any such possibility. MJ's memorial should be paid for by the family, as any memorial for any "average joe" would be. If need be, they could be reimbursed from his estate. Broke as he was, his estate has probably tripled in worth since his death. :P