Golden Oldies Top 40 #22

_Laurie_

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go with the Top 40 hits of the nation this week on Golden Oldies Top 40, the best-selling and most-played songs from the 1950’s through 1963. This is DJ Ceejay on www.songfacts.com and in the next three minutes, we'll count down the 40 most popular oldies hits as voted in our songfacts.com user poll this week.

Last week’s Top 3 songs were:

Dream Lover by Bobby Darin at #3,

Georgia on My Mind by Ray Charles at #2,

And You Don’t Own Me by Lesley Gore at #1.

Who will own the #1 spot this week? We’ll see in just a little while.

Now, on with the countdown!

4 songs drop out of the countdown this week:

Maybelline, by Chuck Berry, which peaked at #18;

A former #1, Crying by Roy Orbison;

Baby It’s You, by the Shirelles, which got as high as #3; and

another song by Roy Orbison, Only the Lonely, which topped off at #13.

That puts 4 new songs into the chart:

At #38, the first hit for Harlem-born Harry Belafonte is The Banana Boat Song (Day-O).

Another Manhattan-based act, the Crests, with lead singer Johnny Maestro, have their first hit at #36 with 16 Candles.

Ozzie and Harriet’s kid, Ricky Nelson comes in at #35, with his 2nd chart hit, Hello Mary Lou, the B-side of his #1 hit Travelin’ Man.

And the highest debut of the week, at #21, a song which is only 1 minute, 38 seconds long, Stay, by Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs.

There’s a lot of movement up the chart this week, with 6 songs moving up at least 8 notches, 3 of those reaching the Top 10:

Johnny Tillotson moves up 14 places, from #37 to #23, in his 2nd week with Poetry in Motion.

New Orleans native Fats Domino has back-to-back hits in the chart this week, as his version of Blueberry Hill jumps 17 slots, from #33 to #16, 1 ahead of I’m Ready, which slides down to #17.

And Skeeter Davis climbs up 8 rungs, from #22 to #14 with The End of the World.

Reaching the Top 10 in his 4th chart week is Brooklynite Neil Sedaka, moving up 8 positions, from #18 to #10 with Breaking Up Is Hard to Do.

The last time :elvis: was in the Top 10, was in week #5, when he had 3 top 10’s: Hound Dog at #6, Don’t Be Cruel at #7 and Jailhouse Rock at #9. (Jailhouse Rock is on our chart again, at #30 this week in its 2nd chart run.) This week, “The King†makes a royal return to the Top 10, with Little Sister, which makes the biggest jump ever in our countdown, a 24-notch leap from #31 to #7.

And making an 11-prong move from #17 to #6 is the 1st top 10 for Dion, Runaround Sue.

Before we get to the Top 3, this week, as a “GO-40 Extraâ€, I would like to pay homage to the guru of Top 40 countdowns, Casey Kasem , who finally retired this week 39 years to the day after his first countdown show. Casey has obviously served as an inspiration for this countdown, and to honor him for counting down the top songs on the Billboard Hot 100 for so many years, I would like to present a video medley of the first 102 #1 songs on the Hot 100, from the years 1958 , 1959 , 1960 , 1961 , 1962 and 1963 . Thank you Casey, for countin' 'em down.

9 of those Hot 100 #1's are in this week's countdown, including the song at #3. Moving up 4 big notches, the Polish Prince, Bobby Vinton with Blue Velvet.

At #2, sliding up a single spot, Bobby Darin with Dream Lover.

And owning the #1 rank for the 3rd straight week,

:drummer:

You Don’t Own Me by Lesley Gore.

That’s all for this week’s Golden Oldies Top 40. Thanks again to Darryl, Lars and the rest of the SF crew. Until next week, keep your head in the stars :stars: and keep reaching for the ground. :doh: And leave your mouse right where it is, at www.songfacts.com. :angel:

Great as usual CeeJay. :)

But I reckon you outdid yourself this time. Those Links (2 to 3 minutes each) of past U.S. #1s 1958-63 is wonderful viewing/listening. If anybody wants more ideas of songs to nominate you can certainly find some there. A viewing MUST !

As CeeJay said, some are in the current Top 40, and others have been in before.

I'd suggest going back to our early Top 40s for a browse. Many are there, but there's also a lot of great songs in those videos that haven't made it yet.

:headphones:

GOLDEN OLDIES TOP 40 #22 (week commencing July 12th 2009)

lesley.jpg

1. YOU DON'T OWN ME - LESLEY GORE

2. DREAM LOVER - BOBBY DARIN

3. BLUE VELVET - BOBBY VINTON

4. UNCHAIN MY HEART - RAY CHARLES

5. GET A JOB - SILHOUETTES

6. RUNAROUND SUE - DION

7. LITTLE SISTER - ELVIS PRESLEY

8. IT’S MY PARTY - LESLEY GORE

9. LOUIE LOUIE - KINGSMEN

10. BREAKING UP IS HARD TO DO - NEIL SEDAKA

11. WILLIE AND THE HAND JIVE - JOHNNY OTIS SHOW

12. GEORGIA ON MY MIND - RAY CHARLES

13. GREAT BALLS OF FIRE - JERRY LEE LEWIS

14. THE END OF THE WORLD - SKEETER DAVIS

15. JUST ONE LOOK - DORIS TROY

16. BLUEBERRY HILL - FATS DOMINO

17. I'M READY - FATS DOMINO

18. TELL HIM - EXCITERS

19. YOU’VE REALLY GOT A HOLD ON ME - MIRACLES

20. COME GO WITH ME - DELL-VIKINGS

21. STAY - MAURICE WILLIAMS & ZODIACS (NEW)

22. PALISADES PARK - FREDDY CANNON

23. POETRY IN MOTION - JOHNNY TILLOTSON

24 I WALK THE LINE JOHNNY CASH

25. SAVE THE LAST DANCE FOR ME - DRIFTERS

26. PLEASE MR.POSTMAN - MARVELETTES

27. BE MY BABY - RONETTES

28. LOVE POTION #9 - CLOVERS

29. SEA CRUISE - FRANKIE FORD

30. JAILHOUSE ROCK - ELVIS PRESLEY

31. BORN TOO LATE - PONI-TAILS

32. SHOP AROUND - MIRACLES f. SMOKEY ROBINSON

33. CANDY GIRL - 4 SEASONS

34. HE'S A REBEL - CRYSTALS

35. HELLO MARY LOU - RICKY NELSON (NEW)

36. 16 CANDLES - CRESTS (NEW)

37. WAKE UP LITTLE SUSIE - EVERLY BROTHERS

38. BANANA BOAT SONG (DAY-O) - HARRY BELAFONTE (NEW)

39. SEA OF LOVE - PHIL PHILLIPS & TWILIGHTS

40. POISON IVY - COASTERS