The 'King of Pop "?!

Kevin

as I have always understood it, it was Elizabeth Taylor who bestowed that moniker on Jacko. He did not make it up himself. Nor have I ever read an article/interview with him where he referred to it... it's always been the media who have used it when referring to him.

but I could be wrong.

Michael Jackson referred to himself as "The King Of Pop" for the "Free Willy" song :beatnik:

The second best (in the U.S.) is the Eagles greatest hits volume 1 and the sales aren't that much different. In the world's best selling, the second best is AC/DC's Back in Black, which there is a significant difference.

Yeah I was referring to 2nd best in the world.

Well , here is another way to approach it . As this is SF -the site I long ago came in search of lyrics to a song - the song lyrics are rather mundane , simple , and at times nonsensical and the music is rather average as well . A ' King ' would have to provide better , don't you think- not simply album sales ?

I think you are mistaken in terms of time , though , BA . Liz called him that at some Grammy Awards or the like first , and it was later incorporated into his act .

I didn't mean he came up with the title, but that he has referred to it :beatnik: Actually, I remember hearing this on a teevee show and the commentators were sayin' how "tacky" it was for Michael Jackson to use it.

Well , here is another way to approach it . As this is SF -the site I long ago came in search of lyrics to a song - the song lyrics are rather mundane , simple , and at times nonsensical and the music is rather average as well . A ' King ' would have to provide better , don't you think- not simply album sales ?

Well a lot of people do think he provides great music, which is probably why Thriller has sold twice as much as the 2nd best selling album in the world. But of course there will never be some sort of "king" that everyone agrees on. The Queen of England has a ton of detractors.

• 4 weeks later...

It was the '80s . The deep recession/ inflation was over , people had money again - also now around the world a bit more , MTV was new and cool , Elvis was clearly dead and people wanted a 'new thing ' to worship , older bands were in a vacuum ; dead or unable to adapt mostly , punk frightened or was misunderstood by most people , companies like simple but over-the-top titles ( King of Pop ) for sales , etc. The album was a singular aberration in a post-disco world that still mostly was in sync in terms of having to , and listening to, the same things in American pop culture on the radio or TV - all over the world. It was timing , breaking free from repressive propaganda (Eastern Europe and elsewhere ) , and a desire to join a fad that mostly sold that album , more than anything else , imo.

It was like a powerball jackpot that gets too high ; once everyone sees that the jackpot may reach record levels , the sales rocket even more to be a part of the collective experience. And that was 'Thriller ' .

Now that's not to say it wasn't a good album , or everyone was insane , but there are other factors to consider rather than it's worth musically, for sure . But without a doubt , a single album does not make a king , no ?

Still rings hollow to me .

BTW, Elvis is no more 'The King of R&R ' than I am the king the of Sweden . More marketing .

I couldn't ask you to do more , and that was a fair analysis . :thumbsup:

...and thank you for the comment 'excellent points' , I think I will now retire for a while and wait another 5 years , or so , to do so or hear the same again ... :laughing: :thumbsup: :guitar:

• 3 weeks later...