The 'King of Pop "?!

Kevin

Whether you are young or old , you have heard pop music , so I'm wondering if you feel that this is a rather grandiose statement for a popular singer who rose rather uniquely and quickly , and briefly in the pop charts ? Of course , it was made by others , but it was drawn in and , as a teen , I was hearing this title then and it always bugged the hell out of me. I even feel that Elvis' nickname as the 'King of Rock and Roll ' is way overdone . What say you ?

Is a ' king ' even necessary as a tribute ? Why go so far with it- other than marketing ?

I agree that it's a marketing concoction, but I understand why he did it: the press made up lots of derragatory names like Wacko Jacko, so he fed them a positive one. These monikers make it easier for us media types to describe the subject in articles without getting too verbose.

As for if he deserved the title, I think he did. :)

as I have always understood it, it was Elizabeth Taylor who bestowed that moniker on Jacko. He did not make it up himself. Nor have I ever read an article/interview with him where he referred to it... it's always been the media who have used it when referring to him.

but I could be wrong.

I've always disliked it, and felt almost the same as Kevin. But since I'm not much of a fan of true "Pop" music, I didn't much care, one way or the other.

And Shawna, I think you are right, I believe it was Liz that made the statement calling MJ The King of Pop. Of course they were friends, it could have been at Mj's urging. Either way, it's obvious he himself at the very least began to believe it .... hence the naming of Prince Michael and Prince Michael 2. :P

Kevin, who would you crown as the king of pop, or do you think there even is one? I can't think of anyone else who definitely deserves the title, but I could accept the argument that there is no king. Pop is a democracy for sure.

I agree with you , Batman . And MC makes a good point that due largely to the explosive new phenom of MTV and cable music channels in the '80s , MJ and Madonna rose to levels way above their peers - but since this was rather short-lived , meaning shortly after the '90s began , I always felt it was a bit too much of a title and perhaps merely an '80s conceit .

Interestingly as well , I recall asking countless people through the '80s, '90s and up to recent times who their favorite singers and or groups were , and surprisingly , MJ was rarely if ever mentioned - though Madonna did receive more vocal support .

This is purely anecdotal , but I'll bet that a number of SF's have had similar experiences.

Madonna, I guess. I think though, perhaps, the reason MJ and Madonna are "royalty" of pop music is because they became megastars in the late 70s and early 80s, an era in which, in my humble opinion, the majority of mainstream pop music being produced was what I can only define as "ear rape".

Good one ,Tim ! :laughing:

What I will concede is that he ( and Madonna to a point ) is definitely the best when it came to staging shows or events and took them to new levels we now simply expect from some groups/artists today. I've never been to one , but have heard testimonies - even from people that wouldn't call themselves fans - as saying they were one of the finest concert spectacles they had ever seen .

So, " King of The Big Show " , or "King of Concerts " perhaps ? :)

I agree with you , Batman . And MC makes a good point that due largely to the explosive new phenom of MTV and cable music channels in the '80s , MJ and Madonna rose to levels way above their peers - but since this was rather short-lived , meaning shortly after the '90s began , I always felt it was a bit too much of a title and perhaps merely an '80s conceit .

Very true. Forget Thriller, Off the Wall, and the Jackson Five and MJ wouldn't have even been the king of the 90's. Of course Thriller was hugely influential to pop and still is, but who's citing Invincible as a major influence on their work? Or even Bad?

I never understood MJ's crown "King of Pop".

To me, "Pop" has a middle-of-the-roadish Nr.1 hitrecord connotation, not compatible with an Eddy Van Halen solo.

As for the ultimate Kings and Queens of Pop I would like to nominate: ABBA.

"Beat It" was a #1 hit record in the US, as well as many other countries, crossing over to many formats including MTV (Billie Jean was the first song by a black artist to be played regularly on MTV). ABBA certainly had that level of success worldwide, but their more limited success in the US (only 4 US top 10's & 1 #1) kept the US media from giving them such a title.

The Monarchy of Music According to Me:

King of Rock n' Roll: Chuck Berry

Kings of Pop (and other stuff): The Beatles

Queen of Pop: Cher

Princess of Pop: Madonna

Prince of Rock n' Roll: Elvis

Prince of Pop: Michael Jackson

King of Coolness: Stevie Wonder

Prince of Coolness: Freddie Mercury

King of Glam: Marc Bolan

Prince of Glam: David Bowie

Duchess of Rock n' Roll: Me

I don't really adhere to the titles either, I just thought this list would be fun. :P