And the Oscar for best song goes to ... no one

Farin

Oscars committee decides to only bestow the music award in years when there is a worthy nominee

[smaller]Ben Child | guardian.co.uk | Monday 29 June 2009 | Link [/smaller]

It retains the dubious distinction of boasting a list of past winners that includes Phil Collins and Celine Dion. Now the Oscar for best song could become just an occasional fixture of the annual Academy awards, after the music branch of the organising committee recommended a rule-change to allow for the possibility that there might be no nominees in any given year.

Variety reports that the suggestion, which follows last week's move to expand the number of nominees for the best film category from five to 10, has been ratified by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences board.

Last year, the best song category inspired controversy when Peter Gabriel withdrew at the 11th hour after being asked to perform his song Down to Earth, from Pixar's Wall-E, for only 65 seconds as part of a medley with two songs from AR Rachman's soundtrack to Slumdog Millionaire.

The decision was reportedly due to concern by producers of the Oscars screencast that the three nominees for the 2009 award were unlikely to help boost declining viewing figures for the ceremony. Room was found, however, for a song and dance routine featuring host Hugh Jackman, Beyonce and members of the cast of High School Musical 3, despite none of them having found their way on to any category's list of nominees.

"We'd assumed, as there are only three nominees, that the songs would be performed in full. But the producers came in to revamp it as audience figures were falling off," Gabriel said in a video on his website. "So I've now decided to withdraw from the ceremony, but I'll still go along. I do think it's a bit unfortunate. I do think songwriters, even though they're a small part of the filmmaking process … we still work bloody hard and I think deserve a place in the ceremony as well."

The award for best song is decided by a complicated process which sees voters rate a piece of music on a scale of six to 10 after viewing it in context with the film it appears in. Under the new ruling, if no song gets at least 8.25, there will be no nomination that year. If one song reaches the required threshold, it will be nominated, along with the second highest scoring entrant.

In another move which looks likely to help create space for crowd-pleasing content, the Academy decided to shift the "testimonial" awards, which include the Thalberg prize for film-makers, the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian award and the honorary Oscars for career excellence to a black-tie event in November for 500 invited guests, rather than presenting them on the Oscars screencast.

The song that had a direct correlation to the plot and was an integral part of the movie that was nominated for several awards was what caused the category to jump the shark?

Rap nowadays is not music. It's noise with a few words thrown in between the profanities and racially derogatory language.

Rap stopped being music when "gangsta" rap took over. Before that it was fun party music and I enjoyed some of it. Now it's a contest to see who can be more crass in the shortest amount of time.

I'm 27 so I'm hardly an old fogie, but Best Song should be awarded to actual music performed by actual musicians.

Rap nowadays is not music. It's noise with a few words thrown in between the profanities and racially derogatory language.

Rap stopped being music when "gangsta" rap took over. Before that it was fun party music and I enjoyed some of it. Now it's a contest to see who can be more crass in the shortest amount of time.

I'm 27 so I'm hardly an old fogie, but Best Song should be awarded to actual music performed by actual musicians.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

Opinions can't be right or wrong. They simply are. Facts can be right or wrong but no one here was speaking in facts.

I personally don't care what anyone else listens to or doesn't like, however I am finding it slightly distressing that several of you have taken it upon yourselves to come at me in a way, for choosing the contrarian side. Step down off the ledge.

When you're saying something "isn't music," that's not really an opinion,

Of course it is. Should someone have to preface every single post they make with "in my opinion" first as to not confuse anyone? It's my opinion that rap is not music the same as it's my opinion that chocolate cake is superior to red velvet cake. Or that GNR is a load of crap. All my opinion. The beautiful thing about opinions, unlike facts, is that I don't expect anyone to agree with me. You can think rap is music, red velvet is superior to chocolate and GNR is the greatest band ever and it affects nothing. We'll simply agree to disagree and that's wonderful.

Now if I were to state that it's my opinion the sky is blue and someone says that it's their opinion the sky is green, then we'd have a problem. It's scientifically proven the sky is blue, not green. There is nothing backing up either assertion regarding rap except personal taste. Which is subjective. And therefore is neither right nor wrong. It simply is.

What I think is hilarious is that I merely stated my opinion on a particular topic and I've already had several people come at that post in a hostile manner and for what? All because I don't like something that they do? You can't deal with someone not liking something you like?

This may apply to much of the commercial "gangsta" rap promoted by the radio and MTV, but that's only one segment of hip-hop music. There are plenty of rappers, particularly of the alternative/underground variety, who don't use excessive profanity and rap about important issues. You can't judge an entire genre by its lowest common denominator.

Edited by Guest

A lot of people on here don't like rap, and I don't always care that much. If you had just said "it is my opinion that rap is bad," I wouldn't have cared, but how can it be your opinion that rap is not music at all? It is organized sound with rhythm and melody...that makes it music. I don't understand how opinion factors into this at all. This isn't an argument, this is me correcting a factual error.

I merely stated my opinion on a particular topic and I've already had several people come at that post in a hostile manner and for what? All because I don't like something that they do? You can't deal with someone not liking something you like?

And also, what's the deal with this? Why would you be posting your thoughts on a music forum with no intention of discussing them?

You may be entitled to your opinion, but know that it's not going to hold much weight with me when your justification for it is completely false.

I don't really care if my opinion holds any weight with you or not, to be frank. I don't post or present my opinion on anything for validation from anyone. If people are talking about a subject or a topic, I'll post my opinion and that's that. People are free to disagree with it or agree with it, I never post anything with the desire or hope of convincing others they are wrong and I am right.

The nerve of you.

And also, what's the deal with this? Why would you be posting your thoughts on a music forum with no intention of discussing them?

Who said anything about me not wanting to discuss my opinions? I said nothing of the sort. However there's been no discussion here. I posted my opinion and had 3-4 people climb up my backside because they didn't like it. That's not a discussion, that's a gang attack. I won't put up with it. Sorry if that bothers you.

There's plenty of music groups and styles I like that I'm sure other people here don't, but I'll be damned if I'm going to be hostile toward people that say they don't like it. For example, I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan. I came across someone in the Songfactor's Choice Top 10 of the 70s thread that said they didn't like Pink Floyd and did I run them up a rail for that? Nope. Did I tell them their opinion held no weight with me because I didn't like their reason for not liking them? Nope.

This is absolute lunacy.

It's an opinion. Why get worked up over a harmless opinion? Does the fact I don't think it's music somehow ruin your ability to listen to it and enjoy it?

I still love and enjoy Pink Floyd even though that one poster I discussed in a previous post doesn't like them. What other people have to say about them has no bearing on whether I listen to their music or not.

Edited by Guest

I guess the thing that bothers me is that there's this whole stereotype out there that rap is bad, vulgar, etc., and I think it's based on a very narrow view of the genre. Of course, I certainly can't blame anyone for having that opinion of rap based on what is promoted by the media, and you're right, it shouldn't affect my appreciation of the music.

BTW people might not know this since I haven't posted here much, but rap is just one of many genres I listen to, I listen to a lot more rock as well as folk, jazz, electronic, blues, etc.