Golden Oldies Top 40 #21

OLD 55

Thanks Gang for the Feedback ! :)

Good question Phil. I just looked up who wrote 'Palisades Park' and read about him.

I had no idea, and I don't think he's known outside the U.S.: Lucky you should tell us. And I'm going to vote for Stay (and Johhny Angel) in my 'Newies' next week.

:headphones:

Pink, I like You Don't Own Me, but it's too far ahead. It might be #1 forever. ;)

Angel, they're two of my favorites and I'll vote them up next week. :thumbsup:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pink, I like You Don't Own Me, but it's too far ahead. It might be #1 forever. ;)

Forever might not be a good thing but a little while longer might be. There's a couple songs I want to try and get into the countdown next week, although I want to keep YDOM right where it is.

Name 40 things that are hotter than July! … How about the hits on this week’s Golden Oldies Top 40. I’m DJ Ceejay with this week’s “rapâ€, right here on songfacts.com. So let’s get started.

3 songs leave our countdown this week, all after stays of 15 weeks or more:

Runaway, by Del Shannon, 1 of 2 songs to spend 4 weeks at #1, finally ends its run after 19 weeks on the chart,

Stand by Me, by Ben E. King, also takes a seat after 19 weeks, having stood as high as #2, and

This week is also not a good one for Johnny B. Goode, by Chuck Berry, which gets chucked after a 15-week run, peaking at #16.

But, not to worry, 3 songs enter our chart this week, including 1 returnee:

Johnny Tillotson makes his move into the chart this week, debuting at #37 with Poetry in Motion.

And after a 2-week absence, this week marks the return of the King, times 2!

Elvis Presley, who had been in the 1st 18 charts, last appearing with Return to Sender in week 18, this week re-enters at #34 with Jailhouse Rock, which had originally hit #6.

And Elvis also has the highest debut this week with his 13th song to enter the GO-40, Little Sister, entering at #31.

Not only does this week’s chart have Poetry in Motion, but it also has a lot of songs in motion, with 4 songs making double-digit climbs:

Sea Cruise, by Frankie Ford, a re-entry last week, cruises up 13 notches this week from #38 to #25.

Skeeter Davis may be singing about The End of the World, but it’s far from the end of her chart run as she scoots up 15 spots from #37 to #22.

And 2 songs make double-digit leaps straight into the top 10:

Get a Job, by the Silhouettes, works out a 13-position climb from #21 to #8,

And Bobby Vinton is blue no more, as Blue Velvet jumps from #17 to #7, becoming his 1st top 10.

One other song enters the top 10 this week, as well:

Willie and the Hand Jive, by the Johnny Otis Show, moves up 7 places from #12 into the top 5 at #5.

Before we get to the top 4, it’s time to answer a trivia question posed by our SF friend Phil, from Joe’s Garage. For those of you who may have missed it, the question was: “Who wrote the song Palisades Park, for Freddy Cannon?â€

Still :confused:

Here's the correct answer.

Now back to the countdown:

Moving up 5 notches from #9 to #4 is 1 of 2 top 4 hits this week for Ray Charles, Unchain My Heart.

Bobby Darin scores his highest chart hit this week with Dream Lover, which moves from #6 to #3, surpassing the #5 ranking he achieved with Mack the Knife.

Ray Charles holds steady at #2 with Georgia on My Mind, meaning that the #1 song for the 2nd week in a row is:

:drummer:

You Don’t Own Me, by Lesley Gore.

That’s all for this week’s Golden Oldies Top 40. Thanks again to Darryl, Lars and the rest of the SF crew. A happy 4th of July to all our friends in the States, and to those logging in from our Armed Forces around the world. Until next week, keep your head in the stars :stars: and keep reaching for the ground :doh: . And leave your mouse right where it is, at www.songfacts.com .

GOLDEN OLDIES TOP 40 #21 (week commencing July 5th 2009)

Lesley_Gore.jpg

1. YOU DON'T OWN ME - LESLEY GORE (2 Weeks @ #1)

2. GEORGIA ON MY MIND - RAY CHARLES

3. DREAM LOVER - BOBBY DARIN

4. UNCHAIN MY HEART - RAY CHARLES

5. WILLIE AND THE HAND JIVE - JOHNNY OTIS SHOW

6. YOU’VE REALLY GOT A HOLD ON ME - MIRACLES

7. BLUE VELVET - BOBBY VINTON

8. GET A JOB - SILHOUETTES

9. IT’S MY PARTY - LESLEY GORE

10. LOUIE LOUIE - KINGSMEN

11. I'M READY - FATS DOMINO

12. SHOP AROUND - MIRACLES f. SMOKEY ROBINSON

13. GREAT BALLS OF FIRE - JERRY LEE LEWIS

14. I WALK THE LINE - JOHNNY CASH

15. BE MY BABY - RONETTES

16. PALISADES PARK - FREDDY CANNON

17. RUNAROUND SUE - DION

18. BREAKING UP IS HARD TO DO - NEIL SEDAKA

19. COME GO WITH ME - DELL-VIKINGS

20. TELL HIM EXCITERS

21. JUST ONE LOOK - DORIS TROY

22. THE END OF THE WORLD - SKEETER DAVIS

23. PLEASE MR.POSTMAN - MARVELETTES

24. LOVE POTION #9 - CLOVERS

25. SEA CRUISE - FRANKIE FORD

26. SEA OF LOVE - PHIL PHILLIPS WITH TWILIGHTS

27. CANDY GIRL - THE 4 SEASONS

28. HE'S A REBEL - CRYSTALS

29. SAVE THE LAST DANCE FOR ME - DRIFTERS

30. POISON IVY - COASTERS

31. LITTLE SISTER - ELVIS PRESLEY (NEW)

32. MAYBELLENE - CHUCK BERRY

33. BLUEBERRY HILL - FATS DOMINO

34. JAILHOUSE ROCK - ELVIS PRESLEY (RE-ENTRY)

35. CRYING - ROY ORBISON

36. BORN TOO LATE - PONI-TAILS

37. POETRY IN MOTION - JOHNNY TILLOTSON (NEW)

38. BABY IT’S YOU - SHIRELLES

39. ONLY THE LONELY - ROY ORBISON

40. WAKE UP LITTLE SUSIE - EVERLY BROTHERS