Simon & Garfunkel

katie_sane

We were lucky enough to snag tickets to Simon & Garfunkel in Sydney at Acer Arena last Sunday night.

First up, let me say I *hate* this venue. It is at Olympic Park, Homebush (remember the Sydney Olympics in 2000? This was the stadium for the Olympic basketball) and it is HUGE. I've seen Kiss there, and The Eagles and while a venue like this is made for bands like Kiss, and The Eagles can certainly hold their own there, it IS NOT made for bands like Simon & Garfunkel.

They overcame this of course :D

The quality of their voices is still very, very good. They opened with 'Old Friends' and sang a number of their hits before Art Garfunkel sang a few of his solo songs. He still has a great voice but his songs all sounded the same to me. I thought he sang 'Bright Eyes' three times :P

Paul Simon followed this up by singing three of his own, (including a fantastic rendition of 'Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes') which elicited much more of a crowd response.

Stand outs for me were 'America' (I am biased about that one - it's my all time fave S&G track), 'The Only Living Boy In New York', 'The Boxer' and the perennial classic 'Bridge Over Troubled Water'.

The concert ended with two encores and standing ovations for the old friends :bow:

So, when I nominate "Old Friends" with my Clapton for next weeks TT, I might get a vote or two :D

I was going to nominate them last went but I decided to do the Fathers Day theme instead and moved them down the list a week.

Very cool you were able to see Simon & Garfunkel Katie. I'd love to but in a smaller setting. I have been a fan since I was a kid and still love and listen to them.