Michael Jackson dead at age 50

Mike

The entire music world mourns over MJ's death, just a few reactions:

From Blabbermouth.com:

Van Halen guitarist Eddie Van Halen:

"I am really shocked; as I'm sure the world is, to hear the news. I had the pleasure of working with Michael on 'Beat It' back in '83 — one of my fondest memories in my career. Michael will be missed and may he rest in peace."

Queen guitarist Brian May:

"Hard to know what to say - what to feel. I find myself wondering what might have happened on his tour... the number of dates in the UK that he had committed to was insane... I did have a feeling it was impossible... but I was so shocked to hear that he went so suddenly. Very sad. Of course I still think of him as a boy... he used to come and see us [Queen] play when we were on tour in the States, and he and Freddie became close friends... close enough to record a couple of tracks together at Michael's house... tracks which have never seen the light of day. Michael was the boy star of the Jackson Five, and always the most screamed at. I remember in their show, they tried very hard to make all the brothers equal in the presentation, but it was abundantly obvious that all most of the girl fans really wanted to see was little Michael. It was Michael who heard our track "Another One Bites the Dust" when he came to see us on "The Game" tour... and told us we were mad if we didn't release it as a single. Of course this was way before Michael's monster solo career began... but he was already in search of that fusion between Funk and Rock, Black and White, and the Thriller album was the consummation of that quest. There are many similarities between it and our "Hot Space" album... but our timing was out, really. Michael got it right in every respect... including timing... the world was just ready for it... and of course he was in a sense seeking the same ground, but coming from the opposite direction.

"Amusingly, after Freddie and Michael has spent some time together recording, Freddie came back and played us the work in progress, and he remarked that Michael had come up with a great album title ... BAD. A little later, Freddie smiled his wicked little conspiratorial smile, and said... "I have a perfect idea for our album title - you may love it or hate it... but think about it... we can call it... wait for it... Good"!!!

"I think the world is a more colourful place thanks to Michael's work... he was a truly wonderful performer at his peak - and had a great team around him, including, of course, genius Quincy Jones. I think he qualifies as a great artist; he devoted his whole body and soul to his art. It's as if, with all the changes he introduced to his body, his art actually became his body and his persona. Yes, I only hope he passed away in happiness, in great hopes and anticipation of his glorious comeback tour. RIP Michael."

Poison drummer Rikki Rockett:

"Michael Jackson — huge loss!!! The words genius and musical are used in the same sentence too often. Not in the case of Michael Jackson. His musical expression will never be topped and his inspiration will live forever. R.I.P."

Shinedown guitarist Zach Myers:

"Sitting in a dressing room in Calgary, Canada I am more saddened than I can remember in maybe the last five years. Call the guy whatever you want... judge his actions, judge his judgments, and judge the man any way in any language you want. But Michael Jackson was the best. There was no one better. There never will be anyone better. People don’t try anymore. You can take any pretty loser who can't sing who has a good smile and sells records and make him a star. Just look at Anyone on the charts today. Today we lost a part of music history, a legend, and the greatest pop music artist there ever will be. The things Michael created on 'Thriller', 'Off The Wall' and 'Bad' will never be matched. By anyone ever. Michael Jackson was the best. People believed in Michael Jackson who didn't believe in Jesus. And that, my friends, is a legend. God bless Michael Jackson's music, his soul, and his legend. That can never be replaced. Rest in peace, sir. God bless your soul."

Velvet Revolver/ex-Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash (Slash played guitar on two Michael Jackson singles, "Black Or White" and "Give In To Me"):

"Really sad news about Michael. He was a talent from on high."

From Billboard.com:

Lisa Marie Presley, former wife of Michael Jackson and daughter of Elvis Presley:

"I am so very sad and confused with every emotion possible. I am heartbroken for his children who I know were everything to him and for his family. This is such a massive loss on so many levels, words fail me."

Sean "Diddy" Combs:

"Michael Jackson showed me that you can actually see the beat. He made the music come to life!! He made me believe in magic. I will miss him!"

Dick Clark, host of "American Bandstand":

"I knew Michael as a child and watched him grow over the years. Of all the thousands of entertainers I have worked with, Michael was THE most outstanding. Many have tried and will try to copy him, but his talent will never be matched."

Del Bryant, President & CEO, Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI):

"Michael Jackson was clearly one of the greatest entertainers of our era. His influence dominated and defined our culture not only in music, but in fashion, dance, film and so much more. Often overlooked are his spectacular skills as a songwriter, composing both music and lyrics for his immense body of work. In an era in which most songs are composed by teams, Michael was the sole composer of dozens of songs that endeared him to audiences around the world. A BMI songwriter since 1976, his BMI catalog contains more than 150 songs, more than 20 reaching multi-million performance status on American radio and television."

Jonelle Procope, Preszident & CEO, The Apollo Theater Foundation, Inc.:

"The entire Apollo family is saddened to learn of Michael Jackson’s untimely passing. Michael first performed at the Apollo in 1969 with his brothers when he was only nine years old, winning Amateur Night, and catapulting their career as the Jackson 5. We will always remember Michael in our hearts as a true Apollo legend, known for his professionalism and grace. Our sympathy goes out to his entire family. He will be deeply missed."

Britney Spears:

"I was so excited to see his show in London. We were going to be on tour in Europe at the same time and I was going to fly in to see him. He has been an inspiration throughout my entire life and I'm devastated he's gone!"

Neil Portnow, President/CEO, The Recording Academy:

"Rarely has the world received a gift with the magnitude of artistry, talent, and vision as Michael Jackson. He was a true musical icon whose identifiable voice, innovative dance moves, stunning musical versatility, and sheer star power carried him from childhood to worldwide acclaim. A 13-time GRAMMY recipient, Michael’s career transcends musical and cultural genres and his contributions will always keep him in our hearts and memories. We are deeply saddened by this tragic news and our hearts go out to his family and to music lovers around the globe who mourn this great loss."

Russell Simmons, hip-hop entrepreneur and founder of Def-Jam Records:

"Michael Jackson was my generation's most iconic cultural hero. Courageous, unique and incredibly talented. He'll be missed greatly."

From various Twitter.com accounts:

Fall Out Boy bassist Pete Wentz:

"I have never felt this before in my life. I could measure my childhood 2 now on an mj growth chart. if this is true. Rip. The last legend."

Matchbox 20 singer Rob Thomas:

"Official. Michael jackson dies at 50. Speechless."

John Legend:

"Terrible news about Michael Jackson"

John Mayer:

"Dazed in the studio. A major strand of our cultural DNA has left us. RIP MJ.I think we'll mourn his loss as well as the loss of ourselves as children listening to Thriller on the record player. Michael Jackson, like James Brown and Prince, are nearly uncoverable. The tunes were about his innate talent and can't really be replicated."

Hanson:

"It is difficult to think of a more impact full loss from the passing of an icon, than that of Michael Jackson."

Blink-182 bassist Mark Hoppus:

"First album i ever bought was thriller. With birthday money. On cassette. For my brand new sony walkman. Truth. Rest in peace."

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks ,Shawna for straightening that out . That's it for me then - the media saturation has reached the point where I can't keep who said what about whom straight anymore . :)

Anymore 'Jackson' stuff will be avoided by me until there is something significantly new to hear.

Rather like the 'Big Bang ' isn't it ? All the stuff that has come out based really only on the fact that he died , and apparently it was heart related - but that's it , really .

The Top 10 Songs of the Day are all Michael today.

And it's not just the SF charts:

[big]Michael Jackson dominates the UK chart [/big]

He scores album number one and almost a quarter of entire top 200 single countdown

[smaller]NME.com | Jun 28, 2009 | Link[/smaller]

Michael Jackson's untimely death on Thursday has sparked an unparalled sales surge and sees the late king of pop dominate both the UK single and album charts tonight (June 28).

Jackson’s greatest hits album 'Number Ones' is number one. He has another four albums in the Top 20. A total of seven Jackson albums are in this week’s Top 75. A total of 11 Michael Jackson or Jackson 5 albums are in this week’s Top 200. All but two of the albums are new entries.

On the singles chart, the response to the death is equally as telling. A staggering 43 out of the top 200 singles feature Michael Jackson. The highest Jackson entry is 'Man In The Mirror' at number 11. There are a total of five Jackson singles in the Top 30 and 20 in the Top 75.

In total Michael Jackson accounts for over 300,000 record sales (across singles and albums) in just two days this week.

The figures eclipse the news that La Roux has scored a number one single. The Londoner's 'Bulletproof' sits at the summit besting the number two she hit earlier in the year with 'In For The Kill'.

Michael Jackson Top 75 Official Albums Chart entries (according to The Official Charts Company)

1. 'Number Ones' (up from 121 last week)

7. 'Thriller' (up from 121 last week)

14. 'King Of Pop' (new entry)

17. 'Off The Wall' (new entry)

20. The Essential Michael Jackson (new entry)

45. 'Thriller 25' (new entry)

59. 'Bad' (new entry)

Michael Jackson Top 75 Official Singles Chart entries (new entries, except where stated):

11. 'Man In The Mirror'

23. 'Thriller' (last week 193)

25. 'Billie Jean'

28. 'Smooth Criminal'

30. 'Beat It'

38. 'Earth Song'

44. 'You Are Not Alone'

45. 'Black Or White'

47. 'The Way You Make Me Feel'

48. 'Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough'

50. 'Dirty Diana'

55. 'I Want You Back' [The Jackson 5]

57. 'Bad'

58. 'Ben'

65. 'ABC' [Jackson 5]

67. 'They Don't Care About Us'

71. 'I'll Be There' [The Jackson 5]

72. 'Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'

73. 'Rock With You'

75. 'Blame It On The Boogie (The Jacksons)

On iTunes, these are the 10 most downloaded tracks as of right now:

1. Man In The Mirror

2. I Gotta Feeling

3. The Way You Make Me Feel

4. Boom Boom Pow

5. Thriller

6. Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough

7. Smooth Criminal

8. Black Or White

9. Billie Jean

10. P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)

These are the 10 most downloaded albums as of right now:

1. The Essential Michael Jackson

2. Number Ones

3. Thriller

4. Off The Wall

5. Bad

6. Thriller (25th Anniversary release)

7. random BEP crap

8. Dangerous

9. Transformers soundtrack

10. Michael Jackson: The Ultimate Collection

According to several articles I've read, the mass downloading/buying that has happened in the wake of his death could cause his material to re-enter the Billboard Charts, sometimes decades after their initial release.

THAT will never happen again. Live in it now because no other artist will ever enjoy this kind of success.

Black Eyed Peas aren't all crap, some of their earlier stuff is good.

I was referring to their current album, which IMO is crap.

Besides, when they're losing to a dead guy in downloads from iTunes, especially when all of it is years if not decades old....that doesn't say much for their current output.

Edited by Guest

Indeed, this is a very unique thing going on :o

The CEO of Amazon.com said that they at one point completely sold out of all Michael Jackson material they had. They've since replenished their stock, but when you think about the fact that at one point everything they had in inventory was purchased, that says a lot about the man's ability to sell.

I'm another fan that grew up with Michael Jackson. Tho I didn't approve of his behavior in his later years, I always kinda felt sorry for him.

I wasn't really surprised by his death because he's looked so sickly for so many years it was just sad to hear not a shock tho.

Money can't buy everything was so true in his case. He was one of the most talented men in the world and IMHO one of the saddest. I don't think he could deal with reality at all. I think the only time he was really happy was when he could pretend he was a little boy.

He'll go down in history as one of the greatest musical geniuses of our time but he paid a very high price to get there.

I agree 100%. I still rock when I hear "I Want You Back" played on the radio. I loved his music and talent. This is truly a shock and to have already lost Ed McMahon and Farrah Fawcett, too. Very sad here. :(

I mourn the man who wrote the album "Thriller", an album that my siblings and I played everyday until the grooves practically wore off the record (yes, I'm old)!

I feel sorry for the man he became in the '90's, never happy with himself, out of touch with reality......

Would he have been happy had he lived longer? Would he have cleaned himself up for his own sake and for his children? I don't know, but I hope that he has found peace.

I'd be safe to say that anyone growing up to the Motown sounds (this exempts ANYONE born after 1960) really has the right to say what Motown was all about.

Too many great performers to list and Jackson Five was one of them.

As far as I'm concerned, Michael died at the failed Pepsi commercial (post Thriller, middle 80's) when his hair and face caught fire.

He was then prescribed potent pain medication and rightfully so.

Sadly, he became addicted and succumbed to this addiction until his untimely death recently.

Reminds me a bit of Elvis.

Both had doctors willing to overdose them by their own accord.

The latest rumors that that his children aren't really his or that he never officially adopted them. This story is going to have the kids overly exposed to the media when they need support and will take the courts years to sort this out. The only winner of this outcome is going to be the lawyers.

The latest rumors that that his children aren't really his or that he never officially adopted them. This story is going to have the kids overly exposed to the media when they need support and will take the courts years to sort this out. The only winner of this outcome is going to be the lawyers.

And Paul McCartney - if MJ willed the Beatles song rights catalogue to him, as he said he would.

Reminds me a bit of Elvis.

I was thinking about this too. At their primes, they were the biggest stars of their time, but sort of faded out thanks to drugs. I wonder if Michael will have the same revisionist history as Elvis? Hardly anyone talks about the racism or the drugs anymore.

It's kind of hard for me to judge how Michael will be remembered because ever since I've known who Michael Jackson is, I've known the molestation story. 89 born!