Michael Jackson dead at age 50

Mike

(CNN) -- Entertainer Michael Jackson was taken to a hospital on Thursday after suffering cardiac arrest, sources briefed on the situation told CNN.

Paramedics revived Jackson before taking him to the hospital.

Fire Capt. Steve Ruda told CNN a 911 call came in from a west Los Angeles residence at 12:21 p.m.

Ruda said Jackson was treated and transferred to the UCLA Medical Center.

Asked specifics of the patient's condition, the spokesman said he could not discuss them because of federal privacy laws.

Copyright © 2009 Cable News Network

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much of a fan of his more recent stuff, I still tremendously respected the talent he had and the barriers he broke. What I'm remembering is the 9-year-old kid who bounced around with those groovy dance moves and crystal clear voice singing "I Want You Back" and "Ben."

Today, the world lost.

:puppyeyes:

R.I.P. Jacko

even though I'm skeptical about the whole thing, I think maybe he faked his death to get away from all the controversy and criticism

The LA coroner has confirmed he's dead. The hospital will be holding a press conference soon. He did not fake his death. Conspiracy theories are for macadamias.

Are you calling me a nut?

Do you believe in conspiracy theories? If not, then I'm not talking about you. If you do, then I guess I am. Conspiracy theories of any kind make no sense whatsoever and are merely an attempt to avoid dealing with the truth. JFK, 9/11, the moon landing, Area 51....hell I know people that don't even think Elvis is dead.

You're not the first person today I've heard float the concept that Jacko faked his death. There's no evidence to suggest that he did, and if the LA coroner's office has said he's dead and that an autopsy is planned, they'd be risking one hell of a lawsuit by the city if they're lying.

All things set aside... I find it a complete tragedy. No, not wacko Jacko but the child that sang ABC and The Love You Save with such young, innocent, RAW talent.

I look back to those days about why he'll be missed.

If he had only stopped at the fiftieth plastic surgery procedure, he might have not gone completely wacko or die @ the age of fifty.

R.I.P.

While I never was a big Micheal Jackson fan, I do regret the passing of a very great talent. It is a huge loss for pop music. I didn't appreciate his weirdness but I did recognize his talent. I feel very bad for his children. I think he was probably a very fun father as he was so childlike himself. And I do have quite a few of his albums in the form of CD's so I did like a lot of his music. I do hope he is at peace now as he certainly wasn't in life.

Yeah, they did a retrospective of his life tonight here on cable and I found myself with a lump in my throat. His legacy will not so much be defined by his final 15 years of obsessive behavior, but his first 35, during which he ushered in a new style of presenting music along with with speed choreography highlighted by energy ablaze. Like his personality or not, his was a seminal talent.

All things set aside... I find it a complete tragedy. No, not wacko Jacko but the child that sang ABC and The Love You Save with such young, innocent, RAW talent.

I look back to those days about why he'll be missed.

If he had only stopped at the fiftieth plastic surgery procedure, he might have not gone completely wacko or die @ the age of fifty.

R.I.P.

My thoughts too. Yet I couldn´t believe it when I saw it in the news at 4 am... he' s one among the greatest. I wasn' t feeling like that since the day that bleephole shot John Lennon.

Seems like he died like his late former father-in-law... no wonder when you treat your body like they used to...

I am sad and shocked, I was a fan of this little guy when he was black and sung with the family, I was 12, he was 9...

Well it's a bit depressing to think of the human race being that silly.

I get your drift, but don't we see the evidence of the world's silliness every day?

I've always been bewildered by the very idea of "die-hard Jackson fans"; the sort of people who'd stick with him through thick and thin, through black and white, through one child-molestation lawsuit after another, one disastrous surgical procedure after another, from one elaborate deceit after another, who would turnout to cheer him on, as he dangles a small child over the edge of a 100ft balcony...

There's so much equivalent craziness out there, you can't really afford to "worry" about the welfare of such people, otherwise you'd go crazy yourself. If there are people for whom the earthly existence of Jacko was the only thing that kept them going and, now he is gone, they no longer have any purpose in life; there's no accounting for that level of irrationale. If it hadn't been manifest through Jacko-love, they would have found some other equally inexplicable and unsustainable outlet for their idiosyncracies.

I'm not heartless. Michael Jackson's death doesn't really bother me that much either way - I've never really celebrated his contribution to music or popular culture - but I can understand it might affect some, in the same way that I felt a pang of sadness at hearing the news of the deaths of Joe Strummer, John Peel or, last year, Raven (Killing Joke bassist). One day, Thurston Moore or PJ Harvey will die and I'll have similar sadness-pangs and think "Well,that's a shame..." and I'll reflect upon the pleasure their music has brought me. But that's about as far as it should go. People die, every day. We should spare our grief for those that really matter - whether that be our families, friends, neighbours - rather than wasting it on remote celebrities. If we have "empathy to spare", there are plenty of more deserving people in our own communities that could benefit from it. Imho.