Golden Oldies Top 40 #20

OLD 55

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder why a 21 year old would choose to join our Thread ???

He/she is most welcome to do so though, of course. The more the merrier.

Blue Angel is 20 and has an excellent knowledge of the songs of the era.

As for 'change' in the Chart, it won't happen if people keep holding on to "their" songs forever, and voting down any other songs that threaten "theirs".

I first nominated Runaway, but I know it wouldn't have gotten in without the support of others. I've never considered it "my" song and I won't fight to keep it in. I even voted it down 5 points after it had been 3 weeks @ #1, so All I Have To Do Is Dream would get there and make the Chart more interesting.

Looking at Top 40s/Top 100s of the era we cover, it was rare for any song to last for 19 or 20 weeks. That's why I try to vote 'oldies' out, and don't vote against relatively new songs whether I like them or not !

Having said that, it's a personal thing, and I don't want to impose my will on anyone. It's supposed to be FUN.

:headphones:

Seasons change but one thing stays the same: every week we “rap’ up the week’s Golden Oldies Top 40 with DJ Ceejay, right here on songfacts.com . Last week, You’ve Really Got a Hold on Me stretched its hold on the #1 spot to an unprecedented 4th consecutive week. Who will own that spot this week?

But before we get to the countdown, a sad note. This week, we at Songfacts and the entire musical community are mourning the passing of a musical legend, Michael Jackson, who died this past Thursday at the age of 50. :puppyeyes: Michael always showed an appreciation for the Golden Oldies-era artists who inspired him, so as a tribute to the “King of Popâ€, our “GO-40 extra†is Michael’s version of a song that was in our countdown just a few weeks ago. Here he is with Rockin' Robin.:afro:

Now on with the countdown:

There’s a lot of action in the countdown, with 5 new songs this week.

The 5 songs falling out are:

Summertime Blues by Eddie Cochran, which lasted 14 weeks, reaching as high as #13,

All I Have To Do Is Dream by Everly Brothers, a former #1 which had been in the countdown for a record 19 consecutive weeks,

Up On The Roof by the Drifters, after a 17-week run topping off at #8,

Travelin' Man by Ricky Nelson, another former #1 also after 17 weeks, and

Sherry by the 4 Seasons, which reached #24 in its 7-week stint.

The 5 songs entering the chart this week are:

At #39, Born Too Late by the Poni-Tails,

A re-entry at #38, Sea Cruise by Frankie Ford,

The End of the World, by Skeeter Davis at #37,

At #36, Blueberry Hill, which is 1 of 2 songs by Fats Domino in our countdown, and

The highest debut of the week, all the way up at #18, is the first appearance for Dion, Runaround Sue.

Before we move on, our trivia question this week also centers around Michael Jackson. In addition to Rockin’ Robin, which song in this week’s countdown was covered by Michael Jackson? We’ll reveal the answer later in our show.

4 songs make double-digit leaps this week, 3 of which are in their 2nd week on the chart:

Neil Sedaka climbs 11 notches from #38 to #27 with his first chart entry, Breaking Up Is Hard to Do,

Jerry Lee Lewis also moves up 11, from #33 to #22 with Great Balls of Fire, and

Get a Job by the Silhouttes is the biggest mover in the countdown, jumping 15 spots from #36 to #21

The highest song making a 2-digit climb is in its 4th week, Willie and the Hand Jive by the Johnny Otis Show, which moves up 13 positions from #25 to #12.

There are 2 new songs in the Top 10 this week.:

Fats Domino, who entered the countdown this week with Blueberry Hill, also scores his 1st Top 10 this week, as I’m Ready inches up from #11 to #10.

And Unchain My Heart by Ray Charles, leaps from #17 to #9, joining Georgia on My Mind in the Top 10. Ray Charles, incidentally is 1 of 3 performers in this week’s chart each with 2 Top 10’s; the others are the Miracles (Shop Around and You’ve Really Got a Hold on Me) and Lesley Gore (It’s My Party and You Don’t Own Me).

Now it’s time for the answer to our trivia question:

???

And it’s the song at #3 this week, You’ve Really Got a Hold on Me, by the Miracles, which falls out of the #1 spot this week, was covered by Michael Jackson, appearing on his Farewell My Summer Love album in 1984.

Moving up 1 spot for the 3rd straight week, now at #2 is Georgia on My Mind by Ray Charles. And that means that for the first time in a month, we have a new #1. The #1 spot is now owned by:

:drummer:

You Don’t Own Me by Lesley Gore.

We’ll be back next week with another Golden Oldies Top 40, right here at www.songfacts.com. Until then, keep your head in the stars :stars: and keep reaching for the ground. :doh: And leave your mouse right where it is. :jester:

Lesley%20Gore%201.jpg

GOLDEN OLDIES TOP 40 #20 (week commencing June 28th 2009)

jukebox2.gif

Please CLICK HERE to view the full Chart in PDF Format.

(Click on to open, then enlarge on your browser).

Sorry - I don't have time to print it all out now.

Only a few people bothered to leave any feedback anyway. Maybe not many have even looked at the Chart or CJ's comments. We're well down on 'views' this week.

O.K. /Positive, or Negative, so we can address any problems, feedback is welcome.

I know that CeeJay puts a lot into his 'Rap' each week, and it sure takes me a long time to type the Top 40. I suppose we just like to think somebody looks at them !

Top 40 #21 is NOW OPEN. See you there ! :)