Napoleon Dynamite

Batman

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really like this movie or anything about it, it just showcases some dorky kid trying to be funny, nothing good about it at all. But that's just my opinion.

My boyfriend hated the movie, he said there was no plot. But I on the other hand adored it, I guess just different strokes for different folks.

I happen to be Mormon (LDS) and yes, there are many inside jokes about the LDS community.

Napoleon wears a t-shirt that says 'Ricks College' which is a church-owned school that has since become BYU-Idaho.

The way they talk is really how a lot of LDS people talk...myself included...with their "flip", "fetch", "gosh", "dang", etc. I thought this made the movie that much funnier. Walk down the street of any predominantly LDS community and you will hear all sorts of these words, and not just by kids, but adults.

The Scout joke is also a joke because as was mentioned, most LDS boys are also Boy Scouts.

The other inside joke is the playing of the song "Forever Young" by Alphaville. I graduated from high school in 1990 (in Salt Lake City) and I kid you not, that was the theme for almost every dance that I attended since it came out in 1986.

In fact, I'm a Mobile DJ and I do a lot of LDS weddings & church dances, and it's still one of the most requested songs. Last night when I played it at a church dance, the kids cheered. They even chanted 'Napoleon.'

• 1 month later...

Another movie I want to see, and seems along the same lines with the subtle humor and all, but I doubt my theaters will pick up is 'Garden State'

haven't really read all the messeges on this topic so i don't know if anybody has said it yet buy you guys should check out Welcome to the Dollhouse. i remember like movie critics were getting mad at the guy that made napolian dynomyte cuz he said he copied that same kinda theme as welcome to the dollhouse. either way i dont care. they're both really cool movies.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think them generalizing all of Idaho is kind of dumb, I live in northern Idaho, and none of it is like that. Us "Idahoians" are not all mormon, and in the northern part of the state there is like maybe 5% mormon (probably less). My dad grew up in southern Idaho and it is like that, 99.9% mormon, but please don't summarize the whole state as mormons, because its definitely not like that.

I think them generalizing all of Idaho is kind of dumb, I live in northern Idaho, and none of it is like that. Us "Idahoians" are not all mormon, and in the northern part of the state there is like maybe 5% mormon (probably less). My dad grew up in southern Idaho and it is like that, 99.9% mormon, but please don't summarize the whole state as mormons, because its definitely not like that.

I didn't mean to generalize, sorry if it sounded that way. I was just saying that's what my mormon friend said. I've never been to Idaho, so I wouldn't know if they have a lot of mormons there or not.

I just watched it for the 3rd time over at a friends house, who had never seen it. That election dancing scene is still hilarious! I like my dancing Office guy avatar, but if I could ever find a dancing Napoleon Dynamite avatar, hoo boy!

• 2 weeks later...

Actually...It's Idahoan not Idahoian. And we're not all mormons, again that's like generalizing a huge area of population which as you all know isn't accurate. Does it really matter if the whole state was mormon or not? Plus, the whole cast isn't mormon and because it's in Idaho doesn't mean that's where all the actors are from...