The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten: Best Frontperson

Lucky

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Eddie Money in 1978....He was pretty popular back in the day...He opened for The Rolling Stones and Santana when I saw them in California...I don't really remember too much about his performance, but I do remember Stones and Santana were great!... :cool:

Thanks Kenne & edna for getting your stuff in. That leaves 7 more, and I'm responsible for doing 2 of them. I'm shooting for tonight for mine. As far as the rest of you ..... :shades:

Don't worry we're only a week in. That's not too bad. ;)

Janis Lyn Joplin (January 19, 1943 – October 4, 1970)

She joined Big Brother and the Holding Company on June 4, 1966.

Janis Joplin was known as a very off beat character and put a lot of energy into her performances.

Her singing voice was very distinctive and had a gravely effect rumored to have been caused by her major consumption of Southern Comfort whiskey.

Janis Joplin to this day is still recognized as one of the great tho tragic music icons from the 1960's.

Jim Morrison was the frontman of the Doors. He was the original rock poet, and his blues-shaman personality hypnotized America when the Doors exploded onto the music scene in 1967. His onstage antics included arousing himself with the microphone stand, collapsing to the stage floor, and going into stage banter that included such nonsensical and controversial gems as "Hitler is alive, I slept with her last night" - but he still maintained a charisma and sex appeal that defined what it is to be a rock star ever since. He passed away at the tragically young age of 27, but his legacy will never die.

Deborah "Debbie" Harry (born July 1, 1945)

Harry and Chris Stein formed the band Blondie in the mid-1970s.

Harry entered the Guinness World Book of Records in 1999 as the "Oldest Female Singer to Reach No. 1 in the UK Chart" when Blondie went to number one with "Maria" on February 13, 1999 at the age of 53 years and 227 days.

If anyone would like to add anything to either of my posts, please feel free. I'm really not very good at these things :crazy:

Bruce Frederick Joseph Springsteen (born September 23, 1949), nicknamed "The Boss"....

TheBoss.jpg

Bruce Springsteen is an American singer/songwriter/poet/musician from New Jersey. Bruce has been recording and performing with The E-Street Band since the early 70's, and he's still performing to this day. Bruce can really get a crowd dancing and up on their feet. When Bruce performs you can tell he puts all his heart and soul into every performance. He truly is one amazing "frontperson" and definitely deserves to be on this list, after all he is "The Boss"

^^^^ I hope this picture will be used...It's an awesome pic of The Boss! :cool:

I'm not very good with writing these things, but I did my best...There's just so much info on this guy..I could go on and on...if anyone wants to add anything, they can...I won't mind... :P

Roger Daltrey is noted as a founder of the legendary rock band The Who. After leaving London's Acton County Grammar School in 1963, he formed a skiffle band called The Detours, then displayed an early genius by putting together unusual elements into a world-class performance. The unusual elements included Daltrey on vocals, John Entwistle on bass and Pete Townshend on lead guitar. In 1965 they added drummer Keith Moon, and the fabulous line-up was complete. The band was remarkable for the synthesis of personalities: Townshend's art-school sensibilities; Daltrey's down-to-earth interpretation; and Entwistle's and Moon's skill as performers. They were first noted for deafening shows and for smashing their instruments in ferocious displays of auto-destructive art, but they went on to considerable chart success through original songs written by Townshend and the more humor-oriented Entwistle. Townshend wrote the first rock mini-opera for their second album, and after their first tour of America, the band presented the full-length rock opus Tommy, which shattered barriers and established The Who as a major artistic force in the world of music. Daltrey released his first solo album in 1973, and followed that with a number of solo chart successes. He also established a stage and (somewhat offbeat) film career after starring in the movie of Tommy (1975). He pursued films more steadily after the death of drummer Moon, and turned to production with the drama McVicar (1980). The band continued to perform sporadically with different drummers and John Bundrick on keyboard, but returned to full force in the 1990s with the addition of Zak Starkey on drums. Though Townshend is noted as the songwriter and lead guitarist of The Who, Daltrey remains the genius who drives their performances. His energy and stage presence established The Who at the monumental Monterey Pop, Woodstock and Isle of Wight music festivals, and his instincts for production carved their path through the era of stadium rock. The filmography of musical performances stand as the best evidence of Daltrey's brilliance as both a musician and a stage performer.

All-Music

No David Gilmour? That hurts.

Pink Floyd is my favorite group but I would never consider David Gilmour as one of the greatest front men I've ever seen. His stage presence was just never that strong. I said the same about Greg Lake and I love ELP.

Now if they were entered in different categories such as best vocalists, guitarist etc. they would both make the top of my lists depending on the category but I don't consider either of them great front men. Nor Lennon or MaCartny and a few others that were nominated.

But thats just my opinion and no insult or belittling is meant to anyone.

I adore John Lennon by the way :D

I find it sort of funny that Daltrey made it. After the VH1 special I saw on the Who, where they said that Daltrey was just a pretty face for much of the first years of the band, and he himself admitted to not having much of a persona during that time, I have to question the whole "frontman" thing. :beatnik:

I find a few of the final 10 not the best frontman, but when you say some voted for a frontman in term of stage presence, it makes more sense to me. I would probably have voted in term of keeping the band together, having that special leading aura offstage,... for me, a frontman is the person in the band that sticks out, the leader of the band on and off stage (doesn't have to be the best musician or the leadsinger of the band).

does that make sense? :P

Edited by Guest

I find it sort of funny that Daltrey made it. After the VH1 special I saw on the Who, where they said that Daltrey was just a pretty face for much of the first years of the band, and he himself admitted to not having much of a persona during that time, I have to question the whole "frontman" thing. :beatnik:

I suggest you go to youtube and look for... hmmm... "The Who Woodstock". Or "The Who Isle of Wight". :shades:

I find a few of the final 10 not the best frontman, but when you say some voted for a frontman in term of stage presence, it makes more sense to me. I would probably have voted in term of keeping the band together, having that special leading aura offstage,... for me, a frontman is the person in the band that sticks out, the leader of the band on and off stage (doesn't have to be the best musician or the leadsinger of the band).

does that make sense? :P

Hmmm.. I never really thought of it that way.

Lets vote over.

"Mick Jagger, Best Frontperson, as chosen by the members of Songfacts".

That sounds exactly right. Who else could have held the #1 spot? Mick wins hands down simply because of who and what he is. He is the frontman and 1 of 2 original founding members of The Rolling Stones, arguably the greatest rock & roll band in history. He is the ultimate Rock Star. Jagger doesn't hold this title because of his incredible musicianship and his vocals didn't get him here. Sure, to give him his due, the are certain songs that could never have been done by anyone else, but vocals are not Jaggers strong suit. For me the strength of his vocals comes from the fact that he instills himself in the song, not because of the perfect tone and pitch of his voice. I can't imagine another voice in his place. But because he infused the song with his personality, not because he could hit the high notes.

Mick Jagger is a frontman. That is his talent , and has been for over 40 years. One and only frontman and lead vocalist for The Rolling Stones. I've seen him in action both as a young man, and in his 60's. He becomes the songs. He interprets the words with his voice, his body, his eyes and actions, the way no one else could. Mick Jagger is the glue that makes a group of musicians (albeit great musicians) The Rolling Stones . And that is why he'll always be #1.