The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten: Best Frontperson

Lucky

WELCOME TO THE SONGFACTORS' CHOICE: Best Frontperson

*ALL MEMBERS OF SONGFACTS ARE INVITED TO PARTICIPATE * Join us, and share your knowledge and your love of the thing that keeps SONGFACTS the community we all know and love, MUSIC ! The basic guidelines are simple.... :)

* The Songfactors' Music of Choice is decided by your nominations and votes. For each edition we'll ask that you nominate 1 OR 2 selections that meet the guidelines for that edition.

* With each nomination, we ask that you give us a review, a few thoughts or just a description of how your selection makes you feel. No one is being graded on their writing here.

* Each edition will run about 3 weeks or so. At the end of that time, we'll ask you to vote, and you know how that works! These lists will number 5 or 10 (we'll let you know), so we'll ask that you compile your list of choices for the final Songfactor's Music of Choice. We will tally them, just like The Songfactors' Choice Top Ten, 1 through ?. At the close of voting, we will have our Songfactors' Music of Choice.

**NOTE: Ok, this edition we're going with the second most popular idea we got last discussion .... Frontpersons. By that we mean the total package, not just musical ability, either vocal or instrumentation, but charisma, talent, whatever it is that gives certain individuals that "thing" that makes them great as the frontperson of the band.

..... So, here we go .....

THE SONGFACTORS' CHOICE: Best Frontperson

GIVE US YOUR NOMINATIONS NOW! :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI. How is a "frontperson" defined? Can a band have more than 1 "frontpersons"? (i.e. Lennon/McCartney, Daltrey/Townsend, Jagger/Richards, Henley/Frey)?

see here

Frontperson

The lead vocalist of a band is often called a frontman or frontwoman, depending on the gender. This term refers not only to their physical position of being in front when the band performs, but also the duties of musical leader amongst the band and spokesperson for the band before the public.

[...]

Since the position commonly has an expanded role from simple lead vocalists, there have been cases in which the frontman for a band is someone other than the lead vocalist.

[...]

In several bands (such as The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Journey and The Who), the lead guitarist or Bassist may share spokesman responsibilities with the lead singer. Usually, this is derived from that guitarist's specific role as a co-songwriter, co-founder and/or co-vocalist.

so we have three possibilities: take either (Lennon or McCartney), take both (as Lennon/McCartney), or take neither (since neither single one is THE frontperson of the specific band)

what do you think?

FYI. How is a "frontperson" defined? Can a band have more than 1 "frontpersons"? (i.e. Lennon/McCartney, Daltrey/Townsend, Jagger/Richards, Henley/Frey)?

As Martin posted there is the actual definition of the word .... and then there is opinion. I'm fine with going on opinion. If someone is nominated that isn't a great frontperson, the chances of them getting voted in is pretty slim. I think that we all know what is acceptable.

Example: I've nominated Jagger, but if you feel Richards is the better frontperson for the Stones, by all means nominate him.

Bono from U2- love him or hate him, you know his name. He has not only fronted U2 as the lead singer, but has worked with political leaders around the world to eradicate poverty and hunger.

The Wilson sisters from Heart - wonderful voices, great looks and they ROCK!

Gotta second the nomination of Jim Morrison. I've watched footage of him in concert while he was higher than a damn kite and he was vocally, completely in control....and really, no one quite wore leather pants the way he did. You just couldn't stop looking at him, you had no idea what he was going to do next. That kind of charisma is hard to come by anymore.

My second nomination is David Gilmour. Lead singer of Pink Floyd and its lead guitarist, he sang basically all their most recognizable songs. I don't know jack squat about playing the guitar, so when I watch him play, I am completely focused on what he's doing and not even paying attention to anyone else on stage.

I think that's a pretty good descriptor of a frontperson.

Roger. :rockon: :rockon:

Only reason I didn't say him originally is because I was unsure about the definition of a front man. Since his band is Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, I thought that it was like him and his band, rather than the band with a frontman.

clear as mud?

Also, with my Stevie nomination, she and Lindsay and Christine all shared frontman/woman credits, so the other two are up for nomination, also. I'm just sayin'...

:grin:

Nice one Ron ... and nice to see you in here as well! :)

The Wilson sisters from Heart

Jenny, I don't think we can take the Wilson sisters (plural), although I do understand your thought. The thing is "Best Frontperson" (singular) and if we do "The Wilson Sisters" that is a duo. In the same way that Lennon & Mcartney can't be nominated together, neither can the Wilson sisters. It's got to be one or the other or none, I'm afraid. Does that make sense? I'm sorry. :P

Sorry about not reading the rules correctly. I am going to retract the Wilson sisters (I can't pick one, they both rock) and say Chrissy Hynde from the Pretenders. Why? we need to have some rockin' women on this list, that's why.