'Blues queen' Koko Taylor dies

Farin

Grammy-winning singer was 80

[smaller]NME.com | Jun 4, 2009 | Link[/smaller]

Koko Taylor, who was known as the "Queen of Blues," died today (June 3) at a Chicago hospital. She was 80.

The singer, who won a Grammy Award in 1984 and appeared in the David Lynch film 'Wild At Heart', passed away about two weeks after she underwent surgery for a gastrointestinal bleed, reports the Associated Press.

Taylor, whose career spanned fore than 50 years, gave her last performance in Memphis, Tennessee on May 7 at the Blues Music Awards. She was widely lauded for being a successful woman in a male-dominated genre, and performed an average of 100 concerts a year.

Born Cora Walton to Tennessee sharecroppers, she earned her nickname 'Koko' because of her love of chocolate.

Taylor is survived by her husband Hays Harris, her daughter, her grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Funeral arrangements will soon be announced, said her label Alligator Records.

We saw KoKo at Buddy Guys' place in Chicago several years ago. A great talent and a great lady. They gon' pitch a wang dang doodle all night long in heaven now. RIP Miss Taylor. You will be missed but you're in great company.

I had the pleasure of seeing Koko Taylor in a small club in San Diego about 10 years ago. Awsome singer. That place was rockin' all night. I am very happy I saw her perform live. They don't make 'em that that anymore.