Unique songs

c_s_1987

What do you consider to be the most unique songs ever recorded? By that I mean songs that sound very different to anything recorded before it, or in some cases, anything recorded since. My definition of unique in terms of songs is quite a strict one - I do not consider Stairway To Heaven or Hotel California to be unique in any way.

I'll start with the first one that springs to mind for me: Hocus Pocus - Focus (1971)

As far as I know, the first rock 'n' roll epic was In Held Twas In I by Procol Harum (1968). Nothing released since sounds quite like it either. Bohemian Rhapsody probably could never have existed without it. (Part 1) (Part 2)

Edited by Guest

I agree with Hocus Pocus. Gotta love the Rock Yodel.

Tubular Bells -

It's 25 minutes long, and you won't hear any covers of it any time soon.

Good Vibrations - No one will ever reproduce what was going on in Brian Wilson's brain for this one. A theremin? Brilliant.

Hey Ya - I still have no idea how they made that kind of noise, but I love it. Point for the visual presentation as well, as they would perform it with a different theme every time.

What do you consider to be the most unique songs ever recorded? By that I mean songs that sound very different to anything recorded before it, or in some cases, anything recorded since. My definition of unique in terms of songs is quite a strict one - I do not consider Stairway To Heaven or Hotel California to be unique in any way.

I'll start with the first one that springs to mind for me: Hocus Pocus - Focus (1971)

As far as I know, the first rock 'n' roll epic was In Held Twas In I by Procol Harum (1968). Nothing released since sounds quite like it either. Bohemian Rhapsody probably could never have existed without it. (Part 1) (Part 2)

I'd say Laurie Anderson's multi-media performances... when they were aired on MTV and played on the radio. Also, the Futurist movement, Musique Concrete, John Cage, and a few others did some strange stuff, which even today are frowned upon and disliked because they lack the timbrally-pleasing qualities of music we're used to listening.

I've always considered Closer by Nine Inch Nails to be unique.

(Warning: Video contains graphic content, 18+ please)

You've never listened to anything by Jim Thirlwell (aka Clint Ruin or Jim Foetus), then? Link to further info on the man in question and to info specifically about Foetus / Wiseblood

Trent Reznor's NIN schtick is pretty much a wholesale rip-off of stuff Jim Foetus was doing years before. "Closer" replicates mid-80s Foetus (Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel, Foetus Uber Frisco, et al.) suspiciously closely. Reznor is nought but a fraud and a charlatan.

Edited by Guest
Add a link and pleasing turn of phrase

• 2 weeks later...

You've never listened to anything by Jim Thirlwell (aka Clint Ruin or Jim Foetus), then? Link to further info on the man in question and to info specifically about Foetus / Wiseblood

Trent Reznor's NIN schtick is pretty much a wholesale rip-off of stuff Jim Foetus was doing years before. "Closer" replicates mid-80s Foetus (Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel, Foetus Uber Frisco, et al.) suspiciously closely. Reznor is nought but a fraud and a charlatan.

Aye. "Unique" and "Nine Inch Nails/Trent Reznor" are antithetical to each other :beatnik: