Rock List: The Fifty Best Songs Over Seven Minutes Long

MindCrime

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, how many albums can you say the closer is the best song on there?

I didn't notice this question before. :)

The first ones that spring to mind for me are Who's Next, Foxtrot by Genesis and Brain Salad Surgery by ELP. I imagine about 90% of people disagree with me on this, but I also think Siberian Khatru (the closer) is the best track on Close To The Edge by Yes. But I disagree with Led Zeppelin 4.

Edited by Guest

Hey, don't be dissin' Led Zeppelin. They were phenomenal. I could probably count on two hands and have fingers left over the number of songs they did that I don't care for that much.

You haven't lived until you've heard Tea For One played on a great system and loud. When that bottom drops out, it hits you right in the chest.

My 29 year old son is the only real Zep fan in our Family. Robert Plant.

(Thanks Chris). I must be feeling better ! I'm stirring again.

On January 23, 1991, John Sebastian, owner and general manager of KLSK FM in Albuquerque, New Mexico, played the Led Zeppelin song "Staiway To Heaven" for 24 solid hours to inaugurate a format change to Classic Rock. It played more than 200 times, eliciting hundreds of angry calls and letters. Police showed up with guns drawn after a listener reported that the DJ had apparently suffered a heart attack, later because of suspicion that - this being 8 days into the Gulf War - the radio station had been taken hostage by terrorists dispatched by Zeppelin freak Saddam Hussein. Weirdest of all, lots of listeners didn't move the dial: "Turns out a lot of people listened to see when we would finally stop playing it."

:laughing:

I remember the first time I heard Stairway to Heaven. I was at a roaring party and had had my share of beer when I heard this song being played and slowly build up to that great guitar solo. I was mesmerized! Everything around me seized to exist and only the music held my attention! The spell broke when a girl poured a glass of beer over my head...

I'm the rarity....the Zep fan that doesn't like Stairway To Heaven.

I liked it the first thousand times I heard it, but it's been overplayed and overrated for too long. Even they don't think it's their best song and it's far from Page's best solo. I will never understand why fans exalt it to such a lofty perch the way they do.

These were some very important songs in my early years as a disc jockey, since they gave you a chance to grab a smoke (or in my case, a snack - I was always eating) and relax for a while. I remember the "Frampton Comes Alive" album was always very helpful.

A great one that's a little less known is American City Suite by Cashman & West.

I'm the rarity....the Zep fan that doesn't like Stairway To Heaven.

I liked it the first thousand times I heard it, but it's been overplayed and overrated for too long. Even they don't think it's their best song and it's far from Page's best solo. I will never understand why fans exalt it to such a lofty perch the way they do.

I feel the same way...even back in the 70's it was just an okay song for me....

CCR~I Heard It Through The Grapevine-11:06

The Who~A Quick One, While He's Away-9:14

BnL~Tonight Is The Night I Fell Asleep At The Wheel/Hidden Sun-8:52

Chicago~Beginnings-7:51

The Beatles~I Want You-7:47

Richard Harris~MacArthur Park-7:30

George Harrison~Isn't It A Pity-7:13

JC Superstar Soundtrack~Last Supper-7:08

Beatles~Hey Jude-7:08

Can we let Billy Joel~Captain Jack in, a 6:56?

• 2 weeks later...

I mean, how many albums can you say the closer is the best song on there?

Who's next => Won't get fooled again (Actually, I prefer Baba O'Riley or Behind blue eyes)

Tommy => We're not gonna take it

A quick one => A quick one while he's away

Who are you => The title song

And these are only by The Who...

In the court of the Crimson King => The title song

RED => Starless

There are many albums.

About the list, "In the court of the Crimson King" is one of my favourite King Crimson's songs but I prefer "Starless". "In the court of the Crimson King" is a great sixties' or seventies' song but "Starless" is a great timeless song.

I'm agree with C S 1987: Man-erg by VDGG should've made the cut (GREAT song). I'm agree too with Farin for the inclusion of Blue Monday (another GREAT song).

I like the Weezer's Blue Album but "Only in dreams" is a mess. Today, "Bros" by Panda Bear would replace it.

Sadly, my favourite Roxy Music's songs last over the 6' but not 7'. But "The bogus man" is a fantastic song better by far than Weezer's "Only in dreams".

The cover of "No fun" by Sex Pistols lasts 7:04, is an imperfect song but i love it. PIL's "Poptones" is another good choice (I prefer "Anna Lisa", GREAT GREAT song (I LOVE IT!), but lasts only six minutes)

I think that at least one song by Fela Kuti should've made the cut, maybe "Water no get enemy" (or the infamous "Lady")

One of my favourite albums is Brian Eno's "Discreet music", the title piece lasts over the 30 minutes and for me is THE BEST, but i don't know it counts as a song.

George Harrison's "Isn't a pity" or Paul McCartney's final "Red rose speedway"'s medley?

I don't know. I love both.

Cheers!

Welcome to Songfacts byslah. You have great taste in music. Man-Erg is one of my favourite songs, but you only need to look at my avatar to work that out. I like Starless, too. :grin:

Thank you very much. "Man-Erg" is my favourite song of the VDGG's first era and "Pilgrims" is my favourite song of the second era. But "Man-erg" seems to me a more heartfelt and avant-garde song than the latter.

I am agree with Laurie: Ramble Tamble is CCR at their best. Very exciting song. Another one of my favourites.

Oh, how could i forget: "Death trip" by Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel. Wonderful song and another example of a great last song on a great album ("The human menagerie")

Cheers!

Edited by Guest

This songs reminds me something of Joy Division (maybe "Atmosphere") or something of The Cure (from "The dark trilogy" or "Dissintegration" era) or something more but i don't remember or i don't know what.

Isn´t the style that I like it but this song seems to me perfect for this moment (1:41AM... and this is the third time in a row that i listen it)

thanks!

• 1 month later...

i dont know if these count or not but

Foreplay/Longtime - Boston

You Can't Always Get What You Want - The Rolling Stones

Tuesday's Gone - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Blinded by the Light - Manfred Mann's Earth Band

and who could forget?

Rapper's Delight - The Sugarhill Gang

• 3 weeks later...